Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ thread. Opinions, reviews, feedback, pics, discussions, etc.
Jan 2, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #1,006 of 1,133
  Any news on a shorter straight cable for the HD DJ series? I would rather not get a third party cable, but there are many options on e-bay. If anyone found a reliable short cable (around 1.2m) I would like to know.

You'll probably just have to order a regular replacement from Sennheiser, cut it shorter, and add a new connector to have a shorter cable for use; or do that to one of the cables already included with the headphone.  I recommend using a Switchcraft or Amphenol connector for the job.

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #1,007 of 1,133

You'll probably just have to order a regular replacement from Sennheiser, cut it shorter, and add a new connector to have a shorter cable for use; or do that to one of the cables already included with the headphone.  I recommend using a Switchcraft or Amphenol connector for the job.

But dude that could be tricky... Stick with eBay aftermarket anyways, no?

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #1,008 of 1,133
By the way, isn't there something like that for these Senns?

And why do these companies have to go so strictly proprietary... I tried the Audio-Technica cables on the Senns. The AT cables are a tad bit fat... Same mechanism, but then the thickness is the problem. Not cool...

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #1,009 of 1,133
  But dude that could be tricky... Stick with eBay aftermarket anyways, no?

It is not.  And those adapters are not necessary unless you plan to connect your headphone to an "ancient" cellphone.

Jan 10, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #1,011 of 1,133
Anyone got a DIY fix for the squeaking sound? my HD 7 DJ squeak when moving the earcups horizontally. It's a shame none of the reviews mentioned this issue, as it would have been a deal breaker for me.
Can anyone confirm that the problem gets worse overtime? should I be concerned?

Jan 10, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #1,012 of 1,133
Oh I thought I was alone in this... my left earcup does the same though it's when I one the cup vertically... on the axis that the fork allows it. Anyway, I did open the cup only to find a cable that's moving from the headband to the driver module. I think that gets locked and probably rubs itself with the wall inside the back of the earcup. I did change a few angles on it though I'm thinking maybe there should be something one can put there so this can be avoided. Once you tighten back the cup the squeaking comes back. Anyhow. Will try and let you know later or vice versa.

Jan 10, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #1,013 of 1,133
Oh I thought I was alone in this... my left earcup does the same though it's when I one the cup vertically... on the axis that the fork allows it. Anyway, I did open the cup only to find a cable that's moving from the headband to the driver module. I think that gets locked and probably rubs itself with the wall inside the back of the earcup. I did change a few angles on it though I'm thinking maybe there should be something one can put there so this can be avoided. Once you tighten back the cup the squeaking comes back. Anyhow. Will try and let you know later or vice versa.

Mine happens on both earcups. The sound is coming from the hinges with the blue dot. The squeaking stops when I blow a little on the blue dot, so it seems like a lubrication issue perhaps? it goes away but comes back soon anyways.

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #1,015 of 1,133

Mine happens on both earcups. The sound is coming from the hinges with the blue dot. The squeaking stops when I blow a little on the blue dot, so it seems like a lubrication issue perhaps? it goes away but comes back soon anyways.

Yeah, the front left hinge with the blue dot on my HD7 DJ also has some squeaking. It's only a nuisance when I'm moving the headphones around, but not when I'm actually listening to it. It doesn't seem to be worth going through the Warranty process for just one hinge for me, but it is pretty dumb that this is a problem. It may be a lubrication issue because when I put pressure on the dot and turn the ear cups the squeaking stops. Hopefully someone knows a simple way to get rid of it for just my one hinge?

It is not.  And those adapters are not necessary unless you plan to connect your headphone to an "ancient" cellphone.

The adapter is for the headphone end like what the other guy said. I've actually done this with a pair of HD558s by removing the locking mechanism in which the adapter fit into the headphone jack on the headphone and 3.5mm male to male cable could be used with the headphones. The problem with the HD7 DJ is that it is much smaller where the HD558 stock cable can't even fit in, similar to the AT cable the other guy tried out. Thing is it could work the other way around with the HD7 DJ cable on the HD558 headphones. Why couldn't Sennheiser be more compatible with their proprietary cables -_-'

Has anyone tried the Momentum cables with the HD7 DJs? Even with the HD558s? Trying to figure out which cable might be the most compatible with Sennheiser's products :p
Smaller=more flexibility?

Jan 18, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #1,017 of 1,133
I've yet to have issues with my 7-month-old HD8 of any kind that is not my own fault.  Would you mind posting a photo of your issue?  I might be able to help.

Jan 25, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #1,019 of 1,133
The hinge on my HD7 has come off exposing the bare wire inside.

Anyone else have the same problem?
I have the HD8 too and I'm too scared to use it now.

What the... no. No. I use the HD8. Although I'm always careful with my stuff. I have weaker plastic headphones that I've had for years with just some wear. But I can't believe how you would have compromised this lot. These HDs are quite solid and I've been using my HD8 quite casually. Loading unloading in flight baggage while them on my neck and twisting them in and out during travel. Everything's OK. Just some swivel noise in one cup as someone mentioned before, and that's not even due to handling but some internal issue which is no biggie. What did you do man? Most people I read in different reviews are capable of breaking anything. I can't help but think that you must've done something man. Come forward now.

Jan 25, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #1,020 of 1,133
What the... no. No. I use the HD8. Although I'm always careful with my stuff. I have weaker plastic headphones that I've had for years with just some wear. But I can't believe how you would have compromised this lot. These HDs are quite solid and I've been using my HD8 quite casually. Loading unloading in flight baggage while them on my neck and twisting them in and out during travel. Everything's OK. Just some swivel noise in one cup as someone mentioned before, and that's not even due to handling but some internal issue which is no biggie. What did you do man? Most people I read in different reviews are capable of breaking anything. I can't help but think that you must've done something man. Come forward now.

You are free to think anything you want but the fact is I have a pair of broken Sennheiser HD7s for apparently no reason. The hinge just came off without any cracks, just poor workmanship.

First breakage ever on any of my Senns including the HD800/650, HD8, Momentum IEM, HD25 and the CX685.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back