Sennheiser HD 598, starting to crack.
Jan 23, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #16 of 77

Quote:
Quote:
The HD 650's are quite solid but the build quality of lower level Senns need to be improved. . . my HD 485's were cheap so it's not a big deal for me but they are cracked. I just taped it up.

Not really, the HD650's feel pretty fragile to me.

They aren't.

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #17 of 77

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
The HD 650's are quite solid but the build quality of lower level Senns need to be improved. . . my HD 485's were cheap so it's not a big deal for me but they are cracked. I just taped it up.

They aren't.

Only had a few times to use them, but every time Iwas worried I was gonna break them. I'm not saying they are gonna break after gentle use like the HD5xx series, but there are some nioticiable build quality issues with these Sens.

Jan 23, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #18 of 77
The cup fell off the headband of my HD595's after about 4 years. I don't remember when the crack first appeared. I took a piece of soft metal, about 1 cm thick, put it over the crack, and generously wrapped electrical tape around everything. They ghetto fix has lasted ~2 years now.

I called sennheiser and asked about the part. They told me the headband comes as one piece. Does anybody know if that includes the part that connects to the actual cup, or would it just be the part above the screws ?

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #19 of 77

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

They aren't.

Only had a few times to use them, but every time Iwas worried I was gonna break them. I'm not saying they are gonna break after gentle use like the HD5xx series, but there are some nioticiable build quality issues with these Sens.

Can you be more specific? The only thing I don't like about them build wise is the crappy pads. The AKG's I picked up are really flimsy in comparison. . .

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #20 of 77
I'm getting a pair of HD558s in a week or so, and I will probably put a piece of very solid tape around those areas.  That will probably prevent any kind of cracking.  I had a pair of HD555s before, and they had the same issue, although the crack never really became problematic.

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #21 of 77
oh yeah also does cold weather play a big factor on the crack.??
because for the last week or so it been 20 degree

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #22 of 77
Heard back from Senn today. They will replace the part for free with proof of purchase within the 2 year warranty period (obviously as the HD 598s haven't been around that long). They said it will take about 2 weeks. I just hope they replace the part and not the whole headphone as I feel like they are burning in nicely after 2 months of solid use.

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #23 of 77

Quote:
Heard back from Senn today. They will replace the part for free with proof of purchase within the 2 year warranty period (obviously as the HD 598s haven't been around that long). They said it will take about 2 weeks. I just hope they replace the part and not the whole headphone as I feel like they are burning in nicely after 2 months of solid use.

yess thank you.. I'll contact them when the crack get big. Thank you now i got to keep my receipt

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #24 of 77
My HD558 got a little crack in them too, just noticed it today. I think we should phone someone over at Senn HQ and verbally slap to their senses about this problem.

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #25 of 77

Quote:
My HD558 got a little crack in them too, just noticed it today. I think we should phone someone over at Senn HQ and verbally slap to their senses about this problem.

I did called them and they said there sorry yadi da.. and would replace it ffor you.. But the crack on mine isnt too big too replace just yet.

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #29 of 77
After a week or two since the crack showed it started slowly growing but it only happened in the left

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #30 of 77
I had a microscopic crack(if you can call it that... looks more like a scratch) in my HD595 about a week into using them. As soon as I noticed them I reinforced it with some super glue and baking soda and in the next five months it hasn't grown or troubled me in the slightest. It might be a good way to go if you want to prevent the spread of these stress cracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back