Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Oct 28, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #2,941 of 7,535
Is it even possible to use the 598s publicly without annoying everybody around you? Considering the open design.

No, it's not the open design, it's the '70s Lincoln-Mercury interior design styling that offends 
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #2,942 of 7,535
I wonder if someone could make the 598's a closed portable? Would the drivers work right under those conditions? Obviously you would have to close off the back with some kind of plastic... or wood. And then dampen it properly... probably different earpads too.

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #2,943 of 7,535
  I wonder if someone could make the 598's a closed portable? Would the drivers work right under those conditions? Obviously you would have to close off the back with some kind of plastic... or wood. And then dampen it properly... probably different earpads too.

You would lose the soundstage most probably. And yeah the earpads need that special ring thing to lock it properly in place. Otherwise you can just use tape (foam tape i guess) to stick it there. Also the earpads are oval so Hifiman, Audeze, and Beyer earpads are mostly a nono. It would be cool to try though provided it's reversable.

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #2,944 of 7,535

Not quite the same, but if I recall correctly, the HD380 PRO, PC350 (as well as the open PC360), and the PXC350/450 all use the HD555/595 driver. In the past Sennheiser has had closed versions of their old flagship / upper mid-range headphones, ranging from the well-regarded HD540-based HD250 Linear, to the apparently crappy HD270 Control, which was based on the HD590-era driver.

I haven't had a chance to try any of these closed headphones so I couldn't tell you how successful Sennheiser was. :xf_eek:

Oct 29, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #2,946 of 7,535
Would consider these a wonderful pair for new-comers and probably everyone into good audio. This is my first high-quality pair and I'm very, very pleased with them so far! :)

I'm running them out of my Asus Xonar Essence STX "audiophile" PC soundcard with a built-in amp... I think I'll try running them of my old mans Harman Kardon receiver/amp/Blu-ray -thingy aswell... :p
Do you guys have some advice for a newcomer regarding great songs or setups to try with these phones? It would be very much apreciated! :)

Kind regards,
Flax95

Oct 29, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #2,947 of 7,535
Refusing to use EQ is like ordering a Whopper with cheese and not taking the onions off even though you don't like them because the Whopper was designed to be eaten with onions.

If you dont like the *#%+@& onions, take them off...lol

Analogy #2:

Relying on impedance matching and mystical synergy to "tune" your headphones is like doing brain surgery with a jack hammer. EQ is a laser scalpel.

OK then - fair enough.  I'll re-phrase my post:

Use EQ as you wish - this is all about what sounds best to each individual.  I maintain that the amp I currently use is an excellent match with these cans - to my ears, without any external EQ, and I like it that way.

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #2,948 of 7,535
I turn my bass up 1 notch in windows sound and it distorts the drums completely. so comfy tho. does mdrv6 really touch the ear? come on.. I mean my k240 did touch the top back of my ear too.. but I don't even wear my headphones like that anymore

these do sound great, I want to crank them but then the vocals tire me out

anyone know about the brainwavz m5? how about this mysterious. are they even in this league? they look comfy and some review hyped them saying the bass is turned up to compensate for open backness and claim to be deatiled?

no gimmicks?
Very Comfortable, Lightweight Design

• Powerful Bass, High Clarity

• Includes 6.3mm Adapter and Plush Carrying Pouch

There's something seriously wrong with your computer's sound if the vocals are harsh on the HD598. Did you mention you had an HP with Beats Audio? I'd look into that as I remember reading into something about how Beats Audio messes with the EQ even when disabled. Here's one video I found in a quick search on how to remove the driver: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MExhl8Gefpc

The other workaround to that would be to just get an external USB DAC, but I'd go the free route first.

About the Pioneer: They're pretty good headphones, but the hype in that one thread is really doing it a disservice in my view. Simply put, they don't have the refinement and detail of the HD598, the Senns have far superior imaging and soundstage. The Senns are more stable on the head and less bulky; they actually have deeper earcups, so while the SE-A1000 has large pads diameter-wise, the depth is lacking, which could result in the driver touching the ear, as it did in my experience. The Pioneers do have more bass, but I still much preferred the balance of the HD598.

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #2,949 of 7,535
There's something seriously wrong with your computer's sound if the vocals are harsh on the HD598. Did you mention you had an HP with Beats Audio? I'd look into that as I remember reading into something about how Beats Audio messes with the EQ even when disabled. Here's one video I found in a quick search on how to remove the driver: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MExhl8Gefpc

Beats audio enabled causes a v shaped sound. Beats audio off however makes a 'n' shape sound, bass cut and vocals thin and shouty, and loss of treble sparkle. Trying to mimic an old radio or tinny speaker kind of sound so it will look like beats audio is magic when they toggle the beats audio switch on and off.

Also settings have to be done to make the sound go directly to the external DAC. Because the internal beats software may still alter and interfere with the sound before it reaches the external DAC.

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #2,952 of 7,535
If people already haven't noticed, these headphones are for multimedia, and make sound great for watching movies etc. Not recommended for music. Reading the specs one should understand:

1. High-end open circumaural headphones with E.A.R. technology for outstanding sonic accuracy and clarity
  2. Highly optimised, field-strengthened neodymium ferrous magnet systems for an excellent dynamic response
  3. Surround reflector for extended spatial sound field
  4. Sennheiser's innovative "Eargonomic Acoustic Refinement" (E.A.R.) design channels audio signals directly into your ears

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #2,953 of 7,535
  If people already haven't noticed, these headphones are for multimedia, and make sound great for watching movies etc. Not recommended for music. Reading the specs one should understand:

1. High-end open circumaural headphones with E.A.R. technology for outstanding sonic accuracy and clarity
  2. Highly optimised, field-strengthened neodymium ferrous magnet systems for an excellent dynamic response
  4. Sennheiser's innovative "Eargonomic Acoustic Refinement" (E.A.R.) design channels audio signals directly into your ears

First time I've ever seen "audiophile headphones" described as "not recommended for music"...LOL!

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #2,954 of 7,535
Beats audio enabled causes a v shaped sound. Beats audio off however makes a 'n' shape sound, bass cut and vocals thin and shouty, and loss of treble sparkle. Trying to mimic an old radio or tinny speaker kind of sound so it will look like beats audio is magic when they toggle the beats audio switch on and off.

Also settings have to be done to make the sound go directly to the external DAC. Because the internal beats software may still alter and interfere with the sound before it reaches the external DAC.

Thanks for the clarification. That's exactly what I thought (and was afraid of). That's borderline virus-like behavior

thanks for the info guys. I did what that kid said and the beats audio came back on -_- I did a system restore, disabled the beats how i used to do it, and it dropped all my sound levels to negatives to make it seem like the beats was some holy way.

i fixed it up again. i must have been through this already in the past.

[...]

i might try out the hm5 and let you guys know what i think

That Beats Audio sounds more and more like malware to me. Sorry you had to go through that trouble.

And yes, do let us know how the HM5 works out.

If people already haven't noticed, these headphones are for multimedia

Last time I checked, music is a type of media.

Are you going to tell me to stop listening to the DT250 too since it was conceived for electronic news gathering?
5e0e74a3_nonono.gif

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #2,955 of 7,535

If anything they're medicore for movies because there's no "theater like bass" but that's personal taste. I still wear my 558's though because they're very comfortable. Also, i read the specs, and it says nothing about "awesome for movies, bad for music". 

Really, the only person who doesn't like this headphone, that have tried it, are the bassheads. I've let around 10+ people try my 558's and they all love them except for my brother, my brother also has 2 giant subwoofers in the trunk of his car... go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back