Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #2,657 of 7,535
BTW you still have all those internal wires and they're tiny. I've found that there is still some small audible benefits. The only cable brand i've liked with the HD-598 is Mogami W2893.
I also wonder what that little board inside the HD-598 is for? I removed it when I recabled mine. Mine is now dual entry.

Ever since I switched from the HRT MSII I can't really hear any differences between cables anymore. Weird. Just some minor differences in the treble.
I still try to buy high quality interconnects such as those from Monoprice, Mogami etc. Mostly due to good shielding etc.

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #2,658 of 7,535
BTW you still have all those internal wires and they're tiny. I've found that there is still some small audible benefits. The only cable brand i've liked with the HD-598 is Mogami W2893.
I also wonder what that little board inside the HD-598 is for? I removed it when I recabled mine. Mine is now dual entry.

Ever since I switched from the HRT MSII I can't really hear any differences between cables anymore. Weird. Just some minor differences in the treble.
I still try to buy high quality interconnects such as those from Monoprice, Mogami etc. Mostly due to good shielding etc.

I'm not sure what the board is for either but there has been one in every set of cans i have opened. The 598, m50, jvc xx, Sony mdr... i forget the ending, skullcandy hesh and skullcrushers and a few others, i do damping mods for my friends that are too cheap to get good cans

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #2,661 of 7,535
What is your price range? There is a tube amp called the hifi man EF2A it I a tube amp with a dac as well. The dac is not the best dac but it is better than the soundcard in an iPod. I'm pretty sure it is 140 dollars could be 160 though. As for portability if you listen at home and at point b regularly it is no less portable space wise than a laptop but I would just be careful not to break the tube on something.

I steered away from the EF2A when I realized that there wasn't a large community of users on head fi and what was there was critical of the lack of gain adjustment which results in inadequate volume control with Senn HD5xx headphones. I went with the Aune T1 which is a sturdy hybrid dac/amp about the size of a fat paperback book. It uses a tube from the 6DJ8, 6922, 7308 family. There is a good sized thread devoted to this little unit including some who travel with them.

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #2,662 of 7,535
I've really had no issues with my EF2A... sure the gain might be a bit silly high, but overall I've had a pretty good experience with it.  Maybe I should have gone with something else, but my choice hasn't kept me up at night. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #2,663 of 7,535
Quote:
I've really had no issues with my EF2A... sure the gain might be a bit silly high, but overall I've had a pretty good experience with it.  Maybe I should have gone with something else, but my choice hasn't kept me up at night. 

The gain issue isn't a big deal with Senns, but it can be with lower impedance phones like Grado's Personally I have no problem with my Senn's or Grado's on that amp/dac unit. Sounds a lot better than I thought it would considering the price.

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #2,664 of 7,535
I bought a pair of said headphones today. After the treble-infused AKG K271 MK2, well, they do sound different. I was kinda pleased with the treble in the AKG, but the low end was kinda lacking structure and the ergonomics were very poor. With these, I already knew in advance that comfort would not be an issue (I had HD 570 in the past, they are the best in terms of comfort). I'm not sold on the sound quality just yet. Maybe my ears just need to get used to these. Kind a shallow bass, but at the same time muddy and not detailed at all. The higher mids and treble is very good and detailed. I'll pop my AKGs back on every now and them to compare if there are any changes from burn-in (which I have no reason yet to think exists), but I'm also content with the burn-in placebo if I get that instead. Just getting to know these babies. My chain of command is FLAC/Ape/WavPack/Rare MP3 here and there -> Foobar2000 -> Tascam US-100 DAC and HD 598. Very easy to drive these too. Paid 199 euros, or 266US, From a local market. Cheaper than from Amazon.co.uk, so I figured I got a pretty good deal since the store is close by in case of warranty returns.

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #2,665 of 7,535
Quote:
I bought a pair of said headphones today. After the treble-infused AKG K271 MK2, well, they do sound different. I was kinda pleased with the treble in the AKG, but the low end was kinda lacking structure and the ergonomics were very poor. With these, I already knew in advance that comfort would not be an issue (I had HD 570 in the past, they are the best in terms of comfort). I'm not sold on the sound quality just yet. Maybe my ears just need to get used to these. Kind a shallow bass, but at the same time muddy and not detailed at all. The higher mids and treble is very good and detailed. I'll pop my AKGs back on every now and them to compare if there are any changes from burn-in (which I have no reason yet to think exists), but I'm also content with the burn-in placebo if I get that instead. Just getting to know these babies. My chain of command is FLAC/Ape/WavPack/Rare MP3 here and there -> Foobar2000 -> Tascam US-100 DAC and HD 598. Very easy to drive these too. Paid 199 euros, or 266US, From a local market. Cheaper than from Amazon.co.uk, so I figured I got a pretty good deal since the store is close by in case of warranty returns.

Hmm interesting impressions. IME, I didn't find the bass muddy at all. I thought it was very tight though not well extended. I agree that you probably need to listen to the 598 for a few days to get used to the new sound, especially coming from an AKG. Sennheiser and AKG have very different house sounds. The 598's biggest strength is its wonderfully warm midrange. Acoustic and vocal music is really good. I liked rock with them as well; it has a nice, punchy midbass.

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #2,666 of 7,535
Quote:

Hmm interesting impressions. IME, I didn't find the bass muddy at all. I thought it was very tight though not well extended. I agree that you probably need to listen to the 598 for a few days to get used to the new sound, especially coming from an AKG. Sennheiser and AKG have very different house sounds. The 598's biggest strength is its wonderfully warm midrange. Acoustic and vocal music is really good. I liked rock with them as well; it has a nice, punchy midbass.

Vocals are great. Acoustic also. Things that happen beyond the 1KHz point are just fine and detailed. The thing is I listen to mostly metal music. Metal means _very_ quick double bass drums, very aggressive bass playing and _veeery_ low tuned rhythm guitars. This combination will saturate the lower frequencies. This has been a challenge in many headphones. PortaPros are the worst offenders here and Sennheiser PX100 do much better, but still suffer from it.

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #2,667 of 7,535
Quote:
Vocals are great. Acoustic also. Things that happen beyond the 1KHz point are just fine and detailed. The thing is I listen to mostly metal music. Metal means _very_ quick double bass drums, very aggressive bass playing and _veeery_ low tuned rhythm guitars. This combination will saturate the lower frequencies. This has been a challenge in many headphones. PortaPros are the worst offenders here and Sennheiser PX100 do much better, but still suffer from it.

If you are looking to upgrade from your K271 and the HD598 isn't quick enough, maybe check out the AKG K701/702. This is one of the quickest headphones I've ever heard, if not the most at its price point. Mids are a little bit dry but you can fix this by using an amp with a slightly warm coloration or tubes. Detail resolution is impeccable and soundstage is incredibly spacious. It's comparable to the HD800 in this regard though much less refined. However, at a fraction of the cost, it really is a steal if you are looking for this kind of sound. Since you already have an AKG and you find the 598 isn't meeting your needs, I'd definitely check out one of the higher tier AKG offerings. I'd still give the 598 a little more time though; it really is an excellent headphone and you might end up liking it more than you think.

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #2,668 of 7,535
Hi All,
Looking for some advise without starting a "should I buy A or B" thread.

I love my triple.fi's for travel / portable use, and my HD-25s for closed full size / office use, but I'm looking for something open to be my primary listening cans.  Ideally, I think I'd state that I want an open, full size pair of triple.fis... I listen to mostly live rock shows (Phish, grateful dead, etc), but also classic rock, jazz, bluegrass, and acoustic duos. I value a fun sound and some bass over analytical tonality.  I have a Nuforce uDac2 as my source out of an imac (that also powers my BX5a speakers.  I'm really interested in an open, fun sound and great soundstage. I liked my Grado SR-225's but it was a little to bright / fatiguing for me.  A few questions:

I've considered Sennheiser HD598s and HE-400s (but haven't heard either, or had a scientific method, so would be open to other ideas).  Can you guys give me your thoughts on the hd598s for my listening profile and as a comparison to the triple.fi and HD-25s?  Anything other cans I MUST consider?

I'd also love input into how it would / would not play well with the uDac2.

Thanks so much!

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #2,669 of 7,535
Quote:
I steered away from the EF2A when I realized that there wasn't a large community of users on head fi and what was there was critical of the lack of gain adjustment which results in inadequate volume control with Senn HD5xx headphones. I went with the Aune T1 which is a sturdy hybrid dac/amp about the size of a fat paperback book. It uses a tube from the 6DJ8, 6922, 7308 family. There is a good sized thread devoted to this little unit including some who travel with them.

yeah that is a pretty solid amp from what i have read.

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #2,670 of 7,535
Hi All,
Looking for some advise without starting a "should I buy A or B" thread.

I love my triple.fi's for travel / portable use, and my HD-25s for closed full size / office use, but I'm looking for something open to be my primary listening cans.  Ideally, I think I'd state that I want an open, full size pair of triple.fis... I listen to mostly live rock shows (Phish, grateful dead, etc), but also classic rock, jazz, bluegrass, and acoustic duos. I value a fun sound and some bass over analytical tonality.  I have a Nuforce uDac2 as my source out of an imac (that also powers my BX5a speakers.  I'm really interested in an open, fun sound and great soundstage. I liked my Grado SR-225's but it was a little to bright / fatiguing for me.  A few questions:

I've considered Sennheiser HD598s and HE-400s (but haven't heard either, or had a scientific method, so would be open to other ideas).  Can you guys give me your thoughts on the hd598s for my listening profile and as a comparison to the triple.fi and HD-25s?  Anything other cans I MUST consider?

I'd also love input into how it would / would not play well with the uDac2.

Thanks so much!

I can't compare to the HD25s as I haven't heard them, but I love my HD598s for their amazing soundstage, alluring mids, open tonality and all round comfort. They shine with acoustic material and have a present low end, if possibly lacking in ultimate slam and impact compared to your HD25s. They don't disappoint in that area, they're just not booming down there. They have a smoothness and lushness that I find irresistible. Some of my heavier metal lacks some speed and punch, but detail and presence is still very good. Great with movies too. They unravel soundscapes very satisfyingly. They definitely outdo my Grado SR80 for soundstage.

For visceral impact, speed and vividness, I'd definitely go to my HE-400s. They also have a commanding and tactile bass response unlike any other cans I've heard. They are articulate and clear and very fast, so are great for metal and other dynamic genres. They can also be revealing and harsh at the top end, especially if the recording is that way, unlike the Senns that seem to have a knack of smoothing those things over and even prettying things up.

I could say that I can relax at night listening to my HD598s and be energised in the morning with my HE-400s, if that helps? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back