Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Aug 7, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #2,646 of 7,535
Quote:
I
I have the e11 with my 598's and an lod cable, really it is a waste. There is a small change in the sound but by no means is it a 60 dollar change, more of a ever so slight tweak that could just be placebo. With an expensive (compared to e7) desktop ss amp there is a definite change but they get a little bright for me, but I liked them with a desktop tube amp. My friend loves treble and liked the ss for the treble, detail, and it is really clean. I liked the tube because it is smooth, airy, and intimate.

Hey, thanks for the response. I have heard this headphone in the E7, and I'd agree that the sound doesn't change much, however I'm in need of an external DAC to bypass the noise in my laptop's line out. I suspect I would prefer the tube sound myself if I was in the market for a desktop amp, as I seem to enjoy a warmer, smoother sound.

Quote:
I use the Bravo Audio Ocean tube amp, it really gives the bass more extension and solidness while greatly improving the seperation and soundstage.
Its not that expensive too, about the same as an E17.

While I would certainly prefer the tube sound, I'm not certain that amp would be portable enough for the way I use my laptop. Unless I missed something, it would also require a separate DAC, which would drive the total cost a little out of my range.

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #2,647 of 7,535
Hey, thanks for the response. I have heard this headphone in the E7, and I'd agree that the sound doesn't change much, however I'm in need of an external DAC to bypass the noise in my laptop's line out. I suspect I would prefer the tube sound myself if I was in the market for a desktop amp, as I seem to enjoy a warmer, smoother sound.

I can also vouch for the Bravo Audio Ocean being a great little desktop amp. It's looks awesome as well and is a fine and cheap introduction to valve amplification that is capable of driving pretty much any headphone.

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #2,648 of 7,535
Quote:
I can also vouch for the Bravo Audio Ocean being a great little desktop amp. It's looks awesome as well and is a fine and cheap introduction to valve amplification that is capable of driving pretty much any headphone.

I'll definitely keep that amp in mind if I'm ever in the market for a desktop amp. Thank you both for the suggestion.

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #2,649 of 7,535

While I would certainly prefer the tube sound, I'm not certain that amp would be portable enough for the way I use my laptop. Unless I missed something, it would also require a separate DAC, which would drive the total cost a little out of my range.

What is your price range? There is a tube amp called the hifi man EF2A it I a tube amp with a dac as well. The dac is not the best dac but it is better than the soundcard in an iPod. I'm pretty sure it is 140 dollars could be 160 though. As for portability if you listen at home and at point b regularly it is no less portable space wise than a laptop but I would just be careful not to break the tube on something.

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #2,650 of 7,535
Quote:

I forgot to mention actually that i am daisy chaining from the DAC+amp of the Xduoo XD-02 using the Vincolo I cable. That would raise the cost of the amping to be significantly higher than the headphone itself.

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #2,651 of 7,535
Well that eBay cable came and Ive attached some pics. Ill start off by saying Im very happy I got it and in no way feel it was a waste of money. Its feels like a decently built cable, much better than the junk stock ones I have. It is more flexible and a bit heavier overall. Though the images I took might look like there is some blue in it there is not. It is a black Techflex over a red cable. Makes it look sort of a brownish in person which IMO looks very nice with the HD-598's. The connector fits in the headphones exactly as the stock ones do and its very nice to have both 1/4" and 1/8" in one cable like this with a screw on adapter. Only odd thing I did notice and there is a shot of it, is that the stock headphone cables both have a 2.5mm TRRS connector, where as this one had a 2.5mm TRS connector. Weird, but this one works just fine. And IMO they all sound the same, the stock, the Sennheiser short and this one from eBay. I think Im going to leave this cable in as my permanent one.

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #2,653 of 7,535
Quote:
@ben_r That cable looks great! What length was it that you purchased? I'm thinking about purchasing one now as well I don't really need the incredibly long stock cable that it came with. 

I bought the longest one thinking that should I ever want it shorter I would just re-work it shorter. But basically they come in ~4ft, 5ft and 6ft, so depending on how you usually listen to these cans, buy accordingly.

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #2,654 of 7,535
For the longest time I truly hated the looks of these headphones. But I then realized they actually suit my taste in music because I collect baroque music and also classic film scores. So the 'phones remind me of of both types. Like decor from Louis XIV's royal palace at Versailles and baroque lutes and harpsichords on the one hand, and Odeon/Ritz/Gaumont Cinema styling of the 50s and 60s on the other. Now I've developed a big affection for the look! 

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #2,655 of 7,535
I just received my HD598 and I am very happy with them. I was worried for the lack of bass, but for me they have a nice bass response. It will not make you tired but its definitely there. The sound is spacious just even out of an ipad or macbook.

I also tried my cable that I ordered from ebay, it fits perfectly and I dont hear an audible difference with the original cable. This cable is definitely worth the money if you ask me. I will leave them on too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back