Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jul 29, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #2,597 of 7,535
Quote:
Thanks for taking the chance! Please post your impressions. I tried to carve a 2.5 mm into the HD 598's input and the results were horrible :frowning2:

blink.gif
 mind if i have a look at what happened to it?

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #2,598 of 7,535
Quote:
Dont. Just looks cooler. Which more often then not is all a "higher quality" cable offers. This one is just priced where they all should be.

I for one have the Sennheiser short cable and am not impressed.  The Sennheiser short cable is a little "gummy" to the touch and has pretty bad microphonics.  Also, I couldn't get the 2.5mm plug to fully twist and snap into the headphone jack.  

If my cable is indicative of the general quality of the Sennheiser short cables, then not a high bar to clear for the one on the eBay link. :)

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #2,599 of 7,535
Quote:
I for one have the Sennheiser short cable and am not impressed.  The Sennheiser short cable is a little "gummy" to the touch and has pretty bad microphonics.  Also, I couldn't get the 2.5mm plug to fully twist and snap into the headphone jack.  

If my cable is indicative of the general quality of the Sennheiser short cables, then not a high bar to clear for the one on the eBay link. :)

Wow, microphonics in a cable?! I have the short Sennheiser cable as well and mine locks in the same as the one it came with and sounds the same to me too.

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #2,600 of 7,535
Quote:
Wow, microphonics in a cable?! I have the short Sennheiser cable as well and mine locks in the same as the one it came with and sounds the same to me too.

Microphonics in the sense when the cord rubs against itself, the rustling noises would transfer to the ear cups.  This was due to the tackiness of the rubber in the short cord.

Jul 30, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #2,603 of 7,535
Hallo. I finally decided to buy my own 598's. My last setup were: Teac HP-11 + Audigy X-Fi bought long long time ago. After buying new PC I now need new headphons + new sound card. After reading few reviews my choice are 598. What sound card would you recommend? Now I'm running on onboad sound from Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 and I doubt it will be enough for 598's. I'm going to use 598's for gaming + music. What else do I need to use Dolby Headphone in games?

Just to make sure: Will I be able to connect 598's to my old Denon PMA-860 (http://www.classic-audio.com/denon-pma860-p-496.html) without causing any harm. I use it with my CD player - Pioneer PD-S801 that's why it's kinda importand to me.

I'd appreciate your help. Best regards.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #2,604 of 7,535
Quote:
Hallo. I finally decided to buy my own 598's. My last setup were: Teac HP-11 + Audigy X-Fi bought long long time ago. After buying new PC I now need new headphons + new sound card. After reading few reviews my choice are 598. What sound card would you recommend? Now I'm running on onboad sound from Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 and I doubt it will be enough for 598's. I'm going to use 598's for gaming + music. What else do I need to use Dolby Headphone in games?

Just to make sure: Will I be able to connect 598's to my old Denon PMA-860 (http://www.classic-audio.com/denon-pma860-p-496.html) without causing any harm. I use it with my CD player - Pioneer PD-S801 that's why it's kinda importand to me.

I'd appreciate your help. Best regards.

If you already have an amp, Asus Xonar D1 (or DX for PCI-E version) will work well and isn't too expensive. It has 7.1 analog outputs as well as S/PDIF optical if you want to use an external DAC. Its internal DAC supports 24/192 and has 116dB SNR, which is pretty impressive. It also has Dolby Headphone. What I like about it is that while it's connected to my Bifrost via TOSLINK, Dolby Headphone still works.

Jul 30, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #2,605 of 7,535
Thanks a lot for reply. I'll definitely aim at D1 soon. Anyway after reading 558's vs 598's comparison I became convinced to buy 558's. After removing rubber tape both seem similar. 558's cost 50$ less and they are black. I don't mind spending 50$ if there really is a difference but I'm afraid I won't like 598's bright design in long term use. It just must get dirty sooner or later. And these wood elements made of plastic;/ It looks just awful to me. I wish they had made 598's in black.

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #2,607 of 7,535
Where's the cheapest place to buy these? Is it worth it to buy it new on Amazon? Had the hd558's and im really interested to see how these stack up. If anyone wants to do a trade for their hd598 for my k550 or a900x then pm me. :wink:

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #2,608 of 7,535
Where's the cheapest place to buy these? Is it worth it to buy it new on Amazon? Had the hd558's and im really interested to see how these stack up. If anyone wants to do a trade for their hd598 for my k550 or a900x then pm me. :wink:

Amazon used in "like new" or "very good" condition is usually a good way to go.

Jul 31, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #2,609 of 7,535
How long do the razordogaudio instant rebates usually last for? Seemingly i can get a new pair for $200 which sounds great!

Edit: Never mind, found out it doesnt work. :frowning2:

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #2,610 of 7,535
Its really too bad we didnt all buy when these cans first came out. I remember when they did and the deals were crazy. They were down to $165. LINK LINK

I think everyone thought they were going to be a flop since the price was so low. Look at em now! Thankfully I got mine as a birthday gift :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back