Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jul 21, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #2,566 of 7,535
Quote:
I am thinking for some weeks now that I want to buy the HD 598. As what i read on here they are superb for a good price. The only thing is that some people say it lacks bass. If you compare it to a triple fi 10 UE (what i use now) will the bass be much worse (less strong)? I don't need cans with a lot of bass, just enough to enjoy also trance, happy hardcore, techno next to my other music. ( I listen to everything from pink floyd , to top 40).

I currently still have a fiio e5 somewhere, but i couldt really here a difference used with a triple fi 10 in ear. will a fiio e7 or e11 be better ? For use with the 598

they have less bass than the triple 10s but they EQ nicely if you want more bass....The soundstage is so awesome, that I don't really care about the lack of bass

Jul 22, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #2,567 of 7,535
Thanks, so with the right amp they can have a more punchier bass. The triple fi are just not comfortable thats why i really like these cans for home.

Jul 22, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #2,569 of 7,535
Just sharing my thoughts and my excitement because the HD598s have become my current favorite Headphone.

These albums sound great, and to MY ears, the 598s are doing a better job recreating vocals than my SM3 and LCD2 on these albums.

Holly Cole Trio - Don't Smoke In Bed (Especially Tennessee Waltz)
Lee Ritenour - Smoke n' Mirrors
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me

Vocals are clear and lifelike. Soundstage is also amazing. Bass is more than enough for me, but I can see why some people will say they are lacking.

Details abound and upper end energy is also very present.

What I like most is the openness of sound, and did I mention clarity? Transient response is also amazing.

My only gripe is that the mid highs can sometimes be annoying. When trumpets and other high pitched instruments are shouting, you will find yourself doing the same.

Overall, they still sound amazing, especially on tube amplifiers.

Different Amps:
With the FiiO E12, Nice and warm with great wide soundstage. Grainy upper end and loose bass.
With the RSA P51 Mustang, they bellow out some of the best female vocals I have heard in a portable setup. Graininess is a little less apparent than with the E12. Bass is tighter and gets out of the way faster.

With my full amp (Cary Audio Design SLi30 - They transform into something else. Warm, hard hitting and expansive. They sound expensive. :) and now, they are my favorite headphones.

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #2,572 of 7,535
Quote:
Even over the LCD 2's?

In all honesty, since the LCD2 has a somewhat "dark" signature, I am hearing things differently with the 598s. But its like a  boy scout's backpack. It brought everything but not as organized and poised as a businessman's suite case, which the LCD2 has.

I'll wait for the "new toy syndrome" to die down before I give you my final answer. LOL. But the LCD2 has seen about 2-3 hours of playtime over the week, and these have >100 hours. Again, preference is different from performance. These $200 something Senn will not hold its ground against the $1000 LCD2 in terms of finesse and technicality.

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #2,573 of 7,535
Sweet. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore my 598's.

I got the 598 earlier and the lcd 2 didn't wow me at first. It quickly grew on me though once i got proper amplification for it.

The senns are still my go-to cans for quick listening and gaming. Absolutely worth the price. :)

Jul 26, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #2,574 of 7,535
i have a few questions about my hd598's. i have had them for a litle over two weeks now and think they are pretty good. i love the trebel, the mids are fantastic and they have good, nutral bass. however i read many posts saying that they have never heard any silibance with these, a big reason for me getting them because that is the most annoying thing in audio for me and was the only reason i got rid of my klipsh iem's. with the 598's i hear it in over half of my tracks, flyleaf, lacuna coil, paramore, the cranberries, chlara c., queensrych, queen, the eagles ALL have silibance, it is not peircing or painfull but it is very apparent. could this be caused by haveing low quality sources? out of all of those the lowest bitrate is 192aac. and the rest is 240 and 320 mp3. also with some recordings they pick up feedback between 18k and 20k depending on the track and play it loud enough for it to get in the way of the song and after a minute somewhat painfull would lossless files make this more or less apparent?

Jul 26, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #2,575 of 7,535
i have a few questions about my hd598's. i have had them for a litle over two weeks now and think they are pretty good. i love the trebel, the mids are fantastic and they have good, nutral bass. however i read many posts saying that they have never heard any silibance with these, a big reason for me getting them because that is the most annoying thing in audio for me and was the only reason i got rid of my klipsh iem's. with the 598's i hear it in over half of my tracks, flyleaf, lacuna coil, paramore, the cranberries, chlara c., queensrych, queen, the eagles ALL have silibance, it is not peircing or painfull but it is very apparent. could this be caused by haveing low quality sources? out of all of those the lowest bitrate is 192aac. and the rest is 240 and 320 mp3. also with some recordings they pick up feedback between 18k and 20k depending on the track and play it loud enough for it to get in the way of the song and after a minute somewhat painfull would lossless files make this more or less apparent?

Jul 26, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #2,576 of 7,535
Quote:

I noticed a bit of sibilance in the 598 as well but it was more of a soft "shh" kind of sound rather than a painful tizzy sibilance.

Jul 27, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #2,577 of 7,535
Still have to wait to get the money to order so here is another question. I was just listening to faithless how does that sound on the 598? Anybody has experience with faithless on the 598?   

Jul 27, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #2,578 of 7,535
For those of you concerned about the length of the cable, here's my custom braided stock cable, modified by my kind and beautiful lady :)

Jul 27, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #2,580 of 7,535
yeah the braided cable  looks great
these were actually my first pair of better headphones that i bought for myself
great soundstage,just love these,love  the color and the nice retro look
great worth of money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back