Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
May 23, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #2,461 of 7,535
Quote:
Had the m50. Don't want the ue6000, which seems to be a downgrade from what I already have, which are the mdr 1r and ath ws99. I don't want basshead bass, somewhere around mdr 7506 (and my 7506 clamps extremely lightly, so post of the seal is off).
I was thinking these, grado sr225i, or sr325i.

The sound signature i'm looking for is neutral bass, neutral mids, and emphasized highs.

buy some, and return them if you don't like them

May 24, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #2,463 of 7,535

The bass has an impedance of 320 ohms while the rest of the spectrum it at around 70ohms.
Where did Sennheiser get 50 ohms from?
Golden ears rates their average impedance at 100 ohms.

I have a fiio e6 and an amp for speakers that has a power output of 600 mwatts. Would either of those power the hd598 correctly?

May 24, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #2,464 of 7,535
Quote:

The bass has an impedance of 320 ohms while the rest of the spectrum it at around 70ohms.
Where did Sennheiser get 50 ohms from?
Golden ears rates their average impedance at 100 ohms.

I have a fiio e6 and an amp for speakers that has a power output of 600 mwatts. Would either of those power the hd598 correctly?

Many data has different impedance for HD598. But 600mw should be enough. 300mw did the job for me.

May 24, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #2,466 of 7,535
The critical thing is the output impedance of the amp. An output impedance below 6 ohms is going to hide any effect of the bass resonance. The FIIO E6 has an output impedance below 1 ohm so the bass peak is irrelevant. A high output impedance like 50 ohm will cause a small bump in the upper bass.

May 25, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #2,468 of 7,535
I know this may have been covered but I don't think that it was ever defined. What (in your opinion) is the best replacement cable for HD 598's? I was going to try and make a cable but then I looked and saw that rotten 2.5 TRRS. Really a hard part to find. 

May 25, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #2,471 of 7,535
Quote:
I know this may have been covered but I don't think that it was ever defined. What (in your opinion) is the best replacement cable for HD 598's? I was going to try and make a cable but then I looked and saw that rotten 2.5 TRRS. Really a hard part to find. 

From an earlier post (and I don't work for anyone in the industry):

You can try the cables listed below.

I have one of each on order (a longer cable for 6.35mm jacks and a shorter cable w/ 3.5mm connector for mobile use).

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/chuya-online/item/70962/

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/chuya-online/item/70943/

I received these about 3 weeks after ordering and posted images of each cable on the 598 earlier in this thread.

I really like them, aesthetically speaking.  They are heavier and stiffer and the connectors on both ends are high quality and look great.  The 3.5mm connector version is much shorter, which was what I wanted for use with portable sources, and the 6.3mm connector version is perfect for movies and my desktop rig (length-wise), but still a little shorter than the original cable.  The build quality seems to be just great - they are a pleasure to look at, if you take my meaning.  My motivation for buying these cables was all of the above.

As for sound... I was going to go through a comparative listening test with the original cable, but decided not to spend the time or put the wear on the phone-end connector.  When I first plugged in the new cable (6.3mm) I was convinced that I could hear a 'fuller' sound (that was my initial impression), but to be honest that was likely nothing more than perception bias.

May 25, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #2,473 of 7,535
Since I have balanced amps I just reterminate my stock cable to a 4 pin XLR. The replacement cables shown above does not have the fourth ring for balanced operation. Take a look at the original cable.

May 25, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #2,474 of 7,535
Quote:
Since I have balanced amps I just reterminate my stock cable to a 4 pin XLR. The replacement cables shown above does not have the fourth ring for balanced operation. Take a look at the original cable.

Sorry... I misunderstood the post and missed the TRRS requirement.  I guess I was responding to some PMs I received about the new cables and thought I would just reply, in general.

May 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #2,475 of 7,535
Im new on headphones world,and just buy it ath m50 wich i like v much,but now i search 4 an open and liked hd598!i just want to ask what alternatives have on the same price range!thx in advance...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back