Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
May 9, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #2,402 of 7,535
I have had my HD598 for over a year and what I could say about this good looking, gorgeous headphone is it is very very smooth, silky smooth with nice enough details for 80% of my taste. The bass is the weak point of this headphone, it is not too strong not too weak but just enough for most of genres. The sound-stage is big and accurate, separations among instruments are good, I think sound-stage is better than HD600 and HD650 that I tried. The midrange is not as good as I expected, because the smooth signature so It usually fits slow, light vocals such as Jazz or low voice singers such as Susan Wong, Emi Fujita, .... if you look for aggressive, high note, powerful vocals you should look for other headphones. Besides, this headphone is absolutely good for movies and games with the sound-stage you can imagine that almost everything in movies and games is really amazing, lively such as you are living in them.

Recommend these headphones for Jazz, slow vocals, easy listening, instruments, games, movies. Not great for powerful genres such as Rock, singers such as Toni Braxon, Whitney Houston, Maria Carry, Celine Dion, ....

My next headphone could be LCD-2.2 but It would take me for 1-2 years to save up enough money to build LCD-2.2 combo (with DAC/AMP).

Happy to share my thoughts and considering upgrading the better cable for this headphone.

May 9, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #2,403 of 7,535
I would agree with your opinion on music that fits with these phones.  For vocals, the HD-598 is an incredible listening experience.

For some types of metal and detailed classical, I revert to my Grados.  A more expensive phone, so not apples to apples, but the 598 struggles with detail and speed, in my opinion.

That said, I am listening to my 598s more than any other phone, right now.

I posted earlier on replacement cables; I have to admit, I think they do sound better with the new cables and will post some AB observations this weekend.

May 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #2,404 of 7,535
I have Schiit Magni and Modi and it goes well with HD598. Also, HD598 isn't terribly revealing, so 320kbps will be fine. Most people cannot notice difference on lossless vs 320k. For me, only SRH940 and UERM sounded different with lossless vs 320k.

Thanks for the help. As I've never used an amp or a dac before I'm wondering how much of a difference it really makes. Would you say it makes the music very noticeably better or is it just a subtle difference?

May 9, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #2,405 of 7,535
Thanks for the help. As I've never used an amp or a dac before I'm wondering how much of a difference it really makes. Would you say it makes the music very noticeably better or is it just a subtle difference?

Depends on the headphone. The HD598 falls into the group that sounds OK without amplification, but definitely sounds better with it.

May 9, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #2,406 of 7,535
Quote:

HD598 becomes more clear and dynamic with good amping and obviously, good DAC helps with any headphones.
Quote:
Depends on the headphone. The HD598 falls into the group that sounds OK without amplification, but definitely sounds better with it.

Yup. But the interesting thing is that I bought the Magni and Modi for HD598, but I don't use the HD598 anymore.

May 9, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #2,407 of 7,535
HD598 becomes more clear and dynamic with good amping and obviously, good DAC helps with any headphones.
Yup. But the interesting thing is that I bought the Magni and Modi for HD598, but I don't use the HD598 anymore.

It's that progression thing that would greatly alarm my wife. Lol!

May 9, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #2,408 of 7,535
Thanks for all the help everyone! Would you guys say my best option is to go with the magni + modi if I want to keep the amp/dac in the 200 or less price range? I've heard good things about the audioengine d1. Any thoughts on that one?

May 9, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #2,409 of 7,535
Quote:
Thanks for all the help everyone! Would you guys say my best option is to go with the magni + modi if I want to keep the amp/dac in the 200 or less price range? I've heard good things about the audioengine d1. Any thoughts on that one?

Personally, if I had a choice, I would go for Modi/Magni. It also has enough power to power more powerhungry headphones in case you want to upgrade your headphone.

May 10, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #2,410 of 7,535

Doesn't seem like you could go far wrong with that pair. Even if you did, they seem to sell used here for not much of a discount I've noticed.

May 10, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #2,411 of 7,535
I think buying a good dac such as modi, odac, music streamer II, Topping D20 and pair with tube amp such as Little Dot I+ is better because somehow I feel HD598 is a little bit thin in the body and midrange. By adding tube amp and tube rolling you can enhance the bass, boost the mid and laid-back the treble and it is wonderful. This is my experience of owning HD598 for over a year.

May 10, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #2,412 of 7,535
Does anyone have a picture of the wiring inside each ear piece? I had to replace my headband and re-soldered the wire that connects each ear piece and although I wrote down which color went to which contact, I am having doubts that I might have wired one backwards. I'm hoping I can see some visual proof I either did or didn't. 

Thanks to anyone who might help. I've been scouring the thread and google and can't find a picture that really shows.

May 10, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #2,413 of 7,535
Quote:
Does anyone have a picture of the wiring inside each ear piece? I had to replace my headband and re-soldered the wire that connects each ear piece and although I wrote down which color went to which contact, I am having doubts that I might have wired one backwards. I'm hoping I can see some visual proof I either did or didn't. 

Thanks to anyone who might help. I've been scouring the thread and google and can't find a picture that really shows.

From my memory, color coding on HD598 is different from standard. Don't remember with color was which channel. Just try channel balancing to the right, and see the the right side sounds louder.

May 10, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #2,414 of 7,535
Quote:
From my memory, color coding on HD598 is different from standard. Don't remember with color was which channel. Just try channel balancing to the right, and see the the right side sounds louder.

i think on both sides there is a gold colour wire.(the others are red and green i think) just make sure that both the gold wires are either at the top or bottom of each side. i mixed them up once before so i know.

May 10, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #2,415 of 7,535
Quote:
i think on both sides there is a gold colour wire.(the others are red and green i think) just make sure that both the gold wires are either at the top or bottom of each side. i mixed them up once before so i know.

Me too. I messed it up, and in the end, I gave up and just bought a new cable for HD598.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back