Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Apr 25, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #2,386 of 7,535
Quote:
Just bought that one and enjoyed much with HD598!
Would be great to play the game with the headphone, but I dont't have PS3 ......

The ending/credits song 'I was born for this' is my personal favorite. So.... beautiful...
And i don't know how to use my headphones with the tv.... so i load up the song in my phone to play it when the credits roll. High quality awesomeness :')

Also i had to borrow my friend's ps3 just to buy and play the gameXD

Apr 26, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #2,389 of 7,535
I just gotta say that I'm LOVING my HD598s running through my Bravo Audio Ocean tube amp.  They are so tasty and smooth, it's really quite addicting!  James Brown's funky beats tick along in such a textured way, with that smooth, almost syrupy bass sound.  The strings of the London Philharmonic glow with a luminous warmth.  I'm very happy with them now (even though it's taken me a while!).

May 5, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #2,390 of 7,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel0407 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Does somebody else would like to share the prefer volume level when pairing the HD598 with FIIO e17? (and the gain you use)

I usually hover 20-25 volume with a 6dB gain. Make sure your media player volume is maxed, too.

May 6, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #2,392 of 7,535
Quote:
You can try the cables listed below.

I have one of each on order (a longer cable for 6.35mm jacks and a shorter cable w/ 3.5mm connector for mobile use).

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/chuya-online/item/70962/

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/chuya-online/item/70943/

Yeah!  My new HD-598 cables arrived today from Japan.  I am listening to them now... I have NO idea if they make anything sound better, or not, but they look awesome and feel like great quality. Therefore, by the power invested in me by Perception Bias, I hereby declare that my Senn HD-598s sound WAY better with the new cables 
L3000.gif

Let's have some pictures:

May 7, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #2,395 of 7,535
Quote:
Good looking cables indeed! I like them
smile.gif

Quote:
Nice, waiting for your deep impressions, thoughts, comparison with stock cable.

I will do that... this weekend.  I want to take some time to just listen and enjoy, but this weekend I will swap back-in the old cable and see if I notice anything.  Then, I will do some AB comparisons with music I know well.

Man, I can't get over how nice the connectors look and the cable is stiffer than the stock version (along with being just the right length for my desktop rig).  I've been waiting for these cables to come in to complete my latest set of upgrade plans.  Now I am ready to post pics of my head-fi station.  Coming to this and another thread near you...

May 8, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #2,396 of 7,535
Does anyone have a recommendation on an amp/dac for these headphones? I was looking at the audioengine d1 and the schiit magni + modi combo. Are those options overkill if I'm gonna be running these through my laptop with mp3s @ 320 Kbps? Any help is appreciated.

May 8, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #2,399 of 7,535
Well, I've logged a lot of miles with my old 595's. About six or seven years of daily use, as near as I can tell. Mostly driven by a Meier Audio headphone amp. So, I am VERY familiar with the 595's.

Alas, two days ago, the plastic arm holding one of the ear cups broke. Not surprising as they were getting pretty tattered and worn. I might be able to fix it with some superglue or ordering a replacement part from Senn, but I figured they probably don't owe me anything, So I ordered a HD-598 from Amazon. Arrived today.

I am stunned at the improvement Senn has made. To my ear, the 598 is a significant upgrade. It's easy to see why. Getting rid of that plastic cup behind the driver is the way the headphone should have been made from the first place. It gets rid of all kinds of reflections and cavity effects, allowing the 598 to be bright and detailed without the little bit of harshness with the 595. The soundstage/imaging of these things is breathtaking.

Awesome.

May 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #2,400 of 7,535
Quote:
Does anyone have a recommendation on an amp/dac for these headphones? I was looking at the audioengine d1 and the schiit magni + modi combo. Are those options overkill if I'm gonna be running these through my laptop with mp3s @ 320 Kbps? Any help is appreciated.

I have Schiit Magni and Modi and it goes well with HD598. Also, HD598 isn't terribly revealing, so 320kbps will be fine. Most people cannot notice difference on lossless vs 320k. For me, only SRH940 and UERM sounded different with lossless vs 320k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back