Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Apr 11, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #2,296 of 7,535
Quote:

There you go
wink.gif

Very, very cool... I suppose you could also post a pic of your modded 598s and then we will be on topic 
L3000.gif

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #2,298 of 7,535
Quote:
Very, very cool... I suppose you could also post a pic of your modded 598s and then we will be on topic 
L3000.gif

Sorry currawong
wink.gif
 And thanks guys
biggrin.gif
 i will post my hd558 too later today to be relavent to the thread,(and my impressions too)

edit add on: pictures here~

I feel that with the cloth and ring taken out (which opens up the earcup a lot more) the sound is more spacious and has less veil now. No regrets :wink:

Apr 12, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #2,299 of 7,535
Quote:
Sorry currawong
wink.gif
 And thanks guys
biggrin.gif
 i will post my hd558 too later today to be relavent to the thread,(and my impressions too)

I feel that with the cloth and ring taken out (which opens up the earcup a lot more) the sound is more spacious and has less veil now. No regrets :wink:

Ah man.. I REALLY like the open/exposed driver/headphone look. Has anyone modded 598s on here that can note any significant improvements?

I found this in search.. but the user stated there was little to no improvement (besides being prettier and more dust magnety)

Apr 12, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #2,300 of 7,535
Quote:
Ah man.. I REALLY like the open/exposed driver/headphone look. Has anyone modded 598s on here that can note any significant improvements?

I found this in search.. but the user stated there was little to no improvement (besides being prettier and more dust magnety)

Well that's cause the HD598 is already so open, much more than the stock HD558
redface.gif

(also the changes are only on soundstage which might be hard to notice since the sound tonality doesn't change at all.)

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #2,301 of 7,535
Quote:
Well that's cause the HD598 is already so open, much more than the stock HD558
redface.gif

(also the changes are only on soundstage which might be hard to notice since the sound tonality doesn't change at all.)

I'll just go on placebo effect and convince myself its significant.

Don't we all love exposed cans afterall?
tongue.gif

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #2,302 of 7,535
Quote:
I'll just go on placebo effect and convince myself its significant.

Don't we all love exposed cans afterall?
tongue.gif

But the grill modded HD598 looks so much sexier than the HD558...
redface.gif

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #2,303 of 7,535
Alright, after using these for 2 hours straight yesterday I've got nothing to say but that the 598s are f'n great!

Smooth and defined mids, comfortable as hell. The bass may leave some to be desired but overall great purchase for me.

However, I do find them needing an amp, seeing as I just drove them with y computer through Winamp. Am I right in thinking that it needs an amp?

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #2,304 of 7,535
Quote:
Alright, after using these for 2 hours straight yesterday I've got nothing to say but that the 598s are f'n great!

Smooth and defined mids, comfortable as hell. The bass may leave some to be desired but overall great purchase for me.

However, I do find them needing an amp, seeing as I just drove them with y computer through Winamp. Am I right in thinking that it needs an amp?

Mostly the bass and soundstage improves with an amp
wink.gif
 (but don't expect much results though from budget amps)

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #2,306 of 7,535
Quote:
I was thinking of getting either E17 or the Magni+Modi combo. Would those suffice then?

the E17 helps a bit, not heard the magni+modi combo though.

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #2,307 of 7,535
After using ODAC+C421 with HD598 for over a week, I think HD598s are good headphones but not great. Of course, it is just a normal average headphone on the headphone map but still good value for the price. The only thing I guess HD598s can compete against other high-end headphones is the soundstage but unfortunately this is the weak point too. Why? Because when you plays some instrument songs with wide soundstage it is awesome but if you hear wide soundstage recording with the voices you can hear the voices are so far away. It looks like you are sitting at the second class seats not the first class seats on the plane and in this situation on the stage I think they are the same. And what about when we play some small soundstage recording songs, you may find out that the treble is hitting around you face, too too laid-back and it may causes you a headache. The result, you hope that your favourite songs would be recorded at an average soundstage not too small or not to large and it is really annoying.

There will be a Sennheiser meeting next week on Sunday in my country where Sennheiser will show IE800s and Momentums, of course with HD598s, HD600s, HD650s, HD700s and HD800s. I am going to join the meeting and have a chance to find out more about their combinations. Hopefully I will find a good combo for HD598 which may help me abit. If not the only way to solve my problem could be believing in Moon Audio Black Dragon V2 as good as it was mentioned in this review.

http://yklee118.blogspot.com/2012/03/sennheiser-hd598-live-update-round-two.html

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #2,308 of 7,535
Quote:
After using ODAC+C421 with HD598 for over a week, I think HD598s are good headphones but not great. Of course, it is just a normal average headphone on the headphone map but still good value for the price. The only thing I guess HD598s can compete against other high-end headphones is the soundstage but unfortunately this is the weak point too. Why? Because when you plays some instrument songs with wide soundstage it is awesome but if you hear wide soundstage recording with the voices you can hear the voices are so far away. It looks like you are sitting at the second class seats not the first class seats on the plane and in this situation on the stage I think they are the same. And what about when we play some small soundstage recording songs, you may find out that the treble is hitting around you face, too too laid-back and it may causes you a headache. The result, you hope that your favourite songs would be recorded at an average soundstage not too small or not to large and it is really annoying.

There will be a Sennheiser meeting next week on Sunday in my country where Sennheiser will show IE800s and Momentums, of course with HD598s, HD600s, HD650s, HD700s and HD800s. I am going to join the meeting and have a chance to find out more about their combinations. Hopefully I will find a good combo for HD598 which may help me abit. If not the only way to solve my problem could be believing in Moon Audio Black Dragon V2 as good as it was mentioned in this review.

http://yklee118.blogspot.com/2012/03/sennheiser-hd598-live-update-round-two.html

Lucky! Sounds amazing though... hopefully you keep track of all the good stuff that happens.. post pics and impressions when it's all said and done..!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back