Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Mar 30, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #2,192 of 7,535
First to perish with the low bitrates is the soundstage and seperation, but even then it is still pretty wide, but just not as convincing and accurate as a well bitrate well mastered file.

Mar 30, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #2,194 of 7,535
Quote:
Bitrate has nothing to do with compression. It doesn't change the frequency response either. Its very subtle - if audible at all.

There has to be some form of compression, you are removing the amount of space you have for volume levels for each frequency, the question is whether its noticeable.

Quote:
First to perish with the low bitrates is the soundstage and seperation, but even then it is still pretty wide, but just not as convincing and accurate as a well bitrate well mastered file.

Thanks. What do people mean when they say "artifacts" then?

Mar 30, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #2,195 of 7,535
Sonic artifacting is when the sound is distorted through compression, sometimes it warbles, maybe sounds like your are underwater, or gets metallic, ect.  It's kind of like when you take a small image on the computer, blow it up and you see all the weird stuff around the lines, only in this case it's music and the weird stuff is all this extra distortion around the existing sounds.

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #2,196 of 7,535
Quote:
Bitrate has nothing to do with compression. It doesn't change the frequency response either. Its very subtle - if audible at all.

You sure you're not confusing bitrate with bit depth?

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #2,197 of 7,535
Im talking about dynamic range compression. Converting a RBCD to MP3 involves data compression, not dynamic range compression. The difference being that, to a certain point, data compression is inaudible while dynamic range compression is audible. Reducing the bit rate removes "pieces of data" from the file for the purpose of making it smaller, but the "pieces" are not audible (in theory).

Bit depth can (and does) affect dynamic range, but since humans can only hear between 20Hz and 20kHz, 16/44 (RBCD) is more than enough to cover the entire audible range.

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #2,198 of 7,535
Is 256kbps-320kbps low or are you talking 192kbps?

I know this is heresy around here, but to me, 192 is very listenable. Yes, lossless is delightfully and noticeably better, but 192 is... "Adequate." I still listen to a lot of music that I ripped at 128. Do I wish I had better versions? Sure. But it is what it is. I try to visualize myself listening to my grandad's old 78rpms. It's music that takes me back to a certain time that I'd otherwise not have in my life. That being said, I try to have lossless files now as much as anything.

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #2,199 of 7,535
Quote:
I know this is heresy around here, but to me, 192 is very listenable. Yes, lossless is delightfully and noticeably better, but 192 is... "Adequate." I still listen to a lot of music that I ripped at 128. Do I wish I had better versions? Sure. But it is what it is. I try to visualize myself listening to my grandad's old 78rpms. It's music that takes me back to a certain time that I'd otherwise not have in my life. That being said, I try to have lossless files now as much as anything.

That's pretty much how I feel about them with my current set up. I would like to have higher bitrates, they would sound way better, but I can deal with lower bitrates.

Mar 30, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #2,200 of 7,535
That's pretty much how I feel about them with my current set up. I would like to have higher bitrates, they would sound way better, but I can deal with lower bitrates.

People here act like it's like nails on a chalkboard, but I grew up listening to those 78s, AM car radio, transistor portables, etc. It's all good. Just some is better. :wink:

Mar 30, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #2,201 of 7,535
Quote:
Im talking about dynamic range compression. Converting a RBCD to MP3 involves data compression, not dynamic range compression. The difference being that, to a certain point, data compression is inaudible while dynamic range compression is audible. Reducing the bit rate removes "pieces of data" from the file for the purpose of making it smaller, but the "pieces" are not audible (in theory).

Bit depth can (and does) affect dynamic range, but since humans can only hear between 20Hz and 20kHz, 16/44 (RBCD) is more than enough to cover the entire audible range.

The frequency argument is only partially correct here, everyone's ears are different and some people can hear more than average and some people less than average.  Also, the fact that you can't actually hear some of the much higher and lower frequencies doesn't mean that you won't feel them (you will) and that can change the sonic signature that your ear perceives.

Mar 30, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #2,202 of 7,535
Quote:

The frequency argument is only partially correct here, everyone's ears are different and some people can hear more than average and some people less than average.  Also, the fact that you can't actually hear some of the much higher and lower frequencies doesn't mean that you won't feel them (you will) and that can change the sonic signature that your ear perceives.

So if you were enjoying a nice mellow jazz piece with your HD598's and someone came up right behind you and forcefully blew into a dog whistle, do you think it would disturb you?

Mar 30, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #2,203 of 7,535
Quote:
People here act like it's like nails on a chalkboard, but I grew up listening to those 78s, AM car radio, transistor portables, etc. It's all good. Just some is better.
wink.gif

I understand but when you solely listen to Flac and 320 and then a 128 comes on, you're like holy crap that sounds terrible! Its like going from driving a BMW to a KIAKIA

Mar 30, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #2,204 of 7,535
Quote:
I understand but when you solely listen to Flac and 320 and then a 128 comes on, you're like holy crap that sounds terrible! Its like going from driving a BMW to a KIAKIA

I think you're exaggerating a bit. If it's two rips of the same master, the difference will not be night and day.

I listen to Pandora sometimes - all streamed at 128 kbps, and it sounds perfectly fine. Not discerning audiophile fine, but not "terrible."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back