Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Mar 4, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #2,102 of 7,535
I'd go Magni/Modi.  It not only seems good as a base of a decent setup, but can be used for other cans as well.  Unfortunately I'll be sticking to my HiFiMAN EF2A for the time being.  It has been perfectly fine other years for me. 

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #2,104 of 7,535
Quote:
What do you think would be the more appropriate Amp/DAC for the 598s from the following selection:

NuForce Icon-2
Schiit Magni/Modi

None! Try the E7 or get a Creative X-Fi Go Pro (DAC/amp combo). The X-Fi one sounds amazing with the HD-598 and it's cheap ($35) and measures well. Low distortion too and sounds flat (but not cold/analytical).

Magni/Modi is overkill for the 598. I could understand getting it for the HD-600/650, but not the 598. Sure there will be some improvements..

Mar 4, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #2,105 of 7,535
Damn yesterday i woke up and while still being sleepy i played two songs at maximum volumen while the headphones were plugged in to my macbook , i noticed after the second song was playing cause i thought damn this volume is too low, i hope i didnt damaged them, they still sound good but im still paranoid 
frown.gif
frown.gif
 , it just shows you how much leak these cans have that they were plugged in and i thought i was hearing music throughout the speakers of my macbook

Mar 4, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #2,106 of 7,535
If they work they're probably fine. The Sennheisers generally can play really loud, so they tend to be resistent to high volumes. Still not advisable to do it again.
smile.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #2,107 of 7,535
Hi everyone. Recently I bought HD598 from Spanish Amazon as it cost me 18 pounds less even with delivery
(although I think they have send me one from UK warehouse anyways, they were delivered in one day!)

Unfortunately I noticed a small leather defect when taking them out of a box. I don't know if I'm just to sensitive (yes I definitely am)
or is this unacceptable:
http://i.imgur.com/8FVKN7H.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/F6eHMRN.jpg

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #2,108 of 7,535
Quote:
Magni/Modi is overkill for the 598. I could understand getting it for the HD-600/650, but not the 598. Sure there will be some improvements..

I tend to agree. 598s are nice but plugging them in to a even mid-class dac/amp setup is a bit of an overkill. i have a Burson 160 paired with Arcam rDAC and the difference in sound compared to just having them plugged in to my receiver (Denon 3313ci) is very negligible. In fact, I would say the receiver, being more laid back, is actually more fun to listen to. 

Comparing this to my HD 700, the amp/DAC combo definitely elevated it to a new level and opened them up quite a bit. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #2,109 of 7,535
Quote:
Hi everyone. Recently I bought HD598 from Spanish Amazon as it cost me 18 pounds less even with delivery
(although I think they have send me one from UK warehouse anyways, they were delivered in one day!)

Unfortunately I noticed a small leather defect when taking them out of a box. I don't know if I'm just to sensitive (yes I definitely am)
or is this unacceptable:
http://i.imgur.com/8FVKN7H.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/F6eHMRN.jpg

I think you are. Mine have something similar on one side but I don't mind. 

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #2,111 of 7,535
Hey guys!
I just bought some MDR 1rs and while they do sound great compared to closed cans, they might get owned by open cans in the same price range. I'm still keeping them of course because I like the sound and the portability and whatnot, but am in the market for an open can.

My search has led me between 3 cans:
Sony MDR MA900
Sennheiser HD598
fidelio x1

Now most people say that the ma900s own the hd598s in every way, but I just wanted to be sure. I won't be amping these, which is why I didn't add things like DT880/990, or Q701.

Note: I'm not a basshead but I like to have a little more puch then what you headfiers call neutral.

Since I would probably use the 1rs for hip hop, I was wondering how well these open cans would do with vocal and instrumental based genres, like r&b, rock, jrock/pop, and classical.

Thanks!

Really interested in the hd598 MDR ma900 comparison.

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree right now, but I'm a gamer and need a good soundstage. They must be open.

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #2,112 of 7,535
I've never heard the 700 nor the 800, but I assume those two would lie closer to the most recent 5xx series cans than the 650 in terms of overall signature and soundstage? Since the 650 is somewhat of a dinosaur in comparison :p

I listened to both 700 and 800 recently and they don't sound anything like the 598 or 650.
They remind me more of my old 497 ( what does sennheiser mean with all these high end numbers anyway). They both sound like " not being there" while the 598 shouts " here comes the fun" .
The 650 is a old gentleman who has to be awakened by a good amp.
So enjoy your 598 before audiophilia gets you.

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #2,114 of 7,535
In regards to the questions concerning adding an amplifier I've picked up the C & C BH headphone amp that is being discussed in another thread on head-fi:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review

To me it seems to  give the 598's a little bump. Sometimes they sound just a little too polite & it seems the BH makes them a bit livelier. I'm by no means an expert & realize that there are differences of opinion on whether amps are or aren't needed & if they make a difference to start with, so this is just my opinion. For only a hundred bucks though it is a very good little amp & many on that thread prefer it to some of the FiiO models discussed on this thread.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #2,115 of 7,535
Quote:

I tend to agree. 598s are nice but plugging them in to a even mid-class dac/amp setup is a bit of an overkill. i have a Burson 160 paired with Arcam rDAC and the difference in sound compared to just having them plugged in to my receiver (Denon 3313ci) is very negligible. In fact, I would say the receiver, being more laid back, is actually more fun to listen to. 

Comparing this to my HD 700, the amp/DAC combo definitely elevated it to a new level and opened them up quite a bit. 

I think what you are seeing is the metallic structure inside the headband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back