Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jan 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #1,966 of 7,535
What's the best amp to get for these headphones? I was recommended some general amps but I would like to know if there is a certain amp you guys use with the HD598s?

I'm basically just using them with my ipod around the house and sometimes the PC. 

I was suggested the "Fiio E07K" amp....is it the way to go?

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #1,968 of 7,535
Quote:
What's the best amp to get for these headphones? I was recommended some general amps but I would like to know if there is a certain amp you guys use with the HD598s?

I'm basically just using them with my ipod around the house and sometimes the PC. 

I was suggested the "Fiio E07K" amp....is it the way to go?

What's your budget?

Jan 26, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #1,969 of 7,535
I've been using HD 497's for many years and I've been very happy with them, but I've now got upgradeitus.
Has anyone made the step from 497's to 598's or compared them?
I'd just like some sort of idea of how much of an upgrade it would be.
I'll be using them un-amped with 320cbr mp3's covering a wide range of musical genres.

Great thread, it's been very useful for me.

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #1,970 of 7,535
Hey guys. Just purchased a pair of HD 598's this week, and am absolutely loving them. These are my first step up from having used the same HD 201 I purchased 5 years ago for all my gaming and music needs. Driving them straight out of a Titanium HD and will probably be adding an E09k later on.

While I absolutely love the color scheme of these headphones, I do have an issue with stains. I had my mom try them out, however I forgot she uses dye similar to pentel pen ink to make her hair appear black. Long story short, the fake leather/vinyl cushion on top now has black streaks on it which I can't seem to get rid of. I've tried a damp cloth, and even a light application of rubbing alcohol, but the stain isn't going away. This is really frustrating because I've only had these for a few days, and already they have stains. What do you guys recommend I try? :frowning2:

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #1,971 of 7,535
I'm not sure what I could recommend beyond ever stronger cleaners. (Which I wouldn't recommend really.)  The head band cushion is kinda glued on, so you could at worst look into ordering a new headband cushion, and replacing them. 

Jan 27, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #1,973 of 7,535
Quote:
Quick question: anyone knows if an RME Multiface 2's headphone output should be sufficient for driving 598s, or am I better off buying a dedicated amp?

The Multiface 2 has a 30 Ohm output impedance, so I wouldn't recommend it for the HD 598s.

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #1,976 of 7,535
Thank you everyone for keeping this thread alive.  I've been drawn to the 598 since I first saw images online.  Have since seen them with my own eyes, and listened to them at some length, although in limited situations.  I have to say I'm intrigued.  I'm in Tokyo through the summer, and they are wildly popular here, sold out for the past few weeks at one of the city's largest retailers.  I'm considering these, but also looking at some other possibilities, including headphones, amps, and DACs.

Here's my question.  If your budget allowed you up to around US$600, would you stay with the 598s or seek out something else?  Buying the cheaper phones would allow me to reallocate for other purchases, so I'm curious about the depths of your commitments to the 598.

Jan 28, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #1,977 of 7,535
Quote:
Thank you everyone for keeping this thread alive.  I've been drawn to the 598 since I first saw images online.  Have since seen them with my own eyes, and listened to them at some length, although in limited situations.  I have to say I'm intrigued.  I'm in Tokyo through the summer, and they are wildly popular here, sold out for the past few weeks at one of the city's largest retailers.  I'm considering these, but also looking at some other possibilities, including headphones, amps, and DACs.

Here's my question.  If your budget allowed you up to around US$600, would you stay with the 598s or seek out something else?  Buying the cheaper phones would allow me to reallocate for other purchases, so I'm curious about the depths of your commitments to the 598.

I'm sure you could easily get this and a FIIOS E10 for around $300 USD. An amp isnt required but they really make it better. Also these aren't great commuters headphones because they're open. 

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #1,978 of 7,535
Quote:
Hey guys. Just purchased a pair of HD 598's this week, and am absolutely loving them. These are my first step up from having used the same HD 201 I purchased 5 years ago for all my gaming and music needs. Driving them straight out of a Titanium HD and will probably be adding an E09k later on.

While I absolutely love the color scheme of these headphones, I do have an issue with stains. I had my mom try them out, however I forgot she uses dye similar to pentel pen ink to make her hair appear black. Long story short, the fake leather/vinyl cushion on top now has black streaks on it which I can't seem to get rid of. I've tried a damp cloth, and even a light application of rubbing alcohol, but the stain isn't going away. This is really frustrating because I've only had these for a few days, and already they have stains. What do you guys recommend I try? :frowning2:

You could also try some other light cleaners such as maybe some water and toothpaste using a toothbrush, or maybe some white vinegar? It might be smelly, but it does seriously clean some stuff.

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #1,979 of 7,535
Quote:

The E07K is indeed a good bet for a starter, not only because it's a great starter amp, but because it can also be a great starter Amp/DAC. Although people say that you don't need an amp for these, an Amp/DAC really does help to bring out the performance of them as opposed to using them straight from the headphone port on your computer. For your $100 budget, you really can't go wrong with this one. It's a tried and proven piece of audio device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back