Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jan 28, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #1,981 of 7,535
Quote:
thanks. Going to look for an amp then. I'm thinking Meier Corda Jazz or Matrix M Stage for instance, anybody has experience combining it with HD 598 or similar?

Probably way overall for the HD-598. I can't tell much difference between amp upgrades with my HD-598.
The Magni+Modi might be OK though.

I honestly think even the E7 might be enough.

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #1,983 of 7,535
Some people puzzle me , sound leakage was bad ? its an open headphone , vocals pale...noobs should never buy audiohpile headphones 

[size=small] 2.0 out of 5 stars There are better phones, January 28, 2013[/size]

[size=small] By 
Vk Pilla - See all my reviews

[/size]

[size=x-small] Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)[/size]

[size=x-small] This review is from: Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones (Burl Wood Accents) (Electronics)[/size]

[size=small]I wanted the love these headphones but the sound leak was horrible. You have to only use these in isolation. Personally I did not like the sound signature on these. The vocals sounded pale. This should only be got by people who do mixing and recording monitoring, They can be used by consumers but its purely your choice of how much personal time you have to listen to these in isolation.[/size]
[size=small] [size=x-small]Help other customers find the most helpful re[/size]

[/size]

Jan 28, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #1,985 of 7,535
Quote:
598's for mixing and monitoring, lol'd at that.

To be fair there are worse headphones out there to mix and monitor with.  At least judging from reviews.  

Anyway... I'd likely recommend a Magni/Modi for a good starter amp/DAC combo.  You can always use em as a base for your next build.  Otherwise I've hard the Fiio is a good starting point.  Methinks I might have made a less than perfect choice with my HiFiMAN EF2A. 

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #1,986 of 7,535
I just got mine on saturday , they're beautiful , they sound great to me, in some songs i feel like the vocals "float" and behind them there's the instruments , they are very comfortable :but oh wow the sound leak is every bit as horrible as the reviews have you believe, im embarrased now on the subway because people can hear what im hearing and i disturb them :frowning2: , my roomates are asking me if im going to send them back, and i dont want to but i hate to annoy/disturb other people, dunno what to do 
frown.gif

By the way i don't know how people here use them on the street with the standard cable, the cable is 3 meters! and the 3.5 mm adapter its just absurd , i pt it on my phone and i almost drop it because it adds so much weight to the phone that it makes it loose its weight balance, i know that these headphones are meant to be used at home, but it doesnt mean people are not using them on the street and it doesnt mean that we cant replace the standard cable for another one more portable :wink:

Im already looking for a 1.5 m cable with 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm , sennheiser USA sells them over the phone but sennheiser germany doesnt have the cable ,which is stupid since sennheiser is a german company, tried ordering from sennheiser usa but they dont ship outside the country ... im gonna try to call sennheiser uk to see if they have the cable 
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #1,989 of 7,535
Quote:
They're not meant to be portable. I'd recommend sending them back if they're for outside use.

Of course. The HD 598 are OPEN and HUGE. If you can send them back and get a full refund you should if what you're looking for is a pair that will let you listen privately and if those will be your primary set of headphones. They don't sell shorter cables but you can make your own by shortening a basic one, but they are pretty expensive to ruin; I use some velcro wire management strip when I won't be moving around and that works just fine. 

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #1,990 of 7,535
Hi, everyone. My first post is an appeal for advice.

I just bought the 598. My problem is, my DAC (Rega) and my tube amp (Cayin MK500) do not have  headphone jacks. Is it safe to connect the 598 directly to the analogue output of my Rega DAC using a dual RCA stereo male to 3.5 mm stereo female Y-cable? A FiiO amp will sit between the Y-cable and the headphone: 

DAC analogue output -- Y-Cable -- FiiO amp -- HD598

I tried this with my HD201 and it works nicely. But I thought I'd ask here first before plugging in the new 598, in case there is risk of long-term damage to the DAC or headphone. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #1,991 of 7,535
I just purchased a set of HD598s for $205 on Amazon.

I'm deciding between the Fiio Andes E07 and the Fiio Olympus (E10)

Which would pair better with them?

Both models have a Wolfson WM8740 DAC.

I'm assuming the Olympus (E10) sounds better since it is not portable, but that is a pretty unfounded claim.

I also read that the amp section is better in the E10.
I'm not really sure if this is true

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #1,992 of 7,535
Quote:
Hi, everyone. My first post is an appeal for advice.

I just bought the 598. My problem is, my DAC (Rega) and my tube amp (Cayin MK500) do not have  headphone jacks. Is it safe to connect the 598 directly to the analogue output of my Rega DAC using a dual RCA stereo male to 3.5 mm stereo female Y-cable? A FiiO amp will sit between the Y-cable and the headphone: 

DAC analogue output -- Y-Cable -- FiiO amp -- HD598

I tried this with my HD201 and it works nicely. But I thought I'd ask here first before plugging in the new 598, in case there is risk of long-term damage to the DAC or headphone. Thanks in advance for any advice!

i guess if it works nicely with your HD201 it should be proof that it works since it should work on any other headphone (unless its an electrostat, but that's another story altogether)

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #1,993 of 7,535
Quote:
I just purchased a set of HD598s for $205 on Amazon.

I'm deciding between the Fiio Andes E07 and the Fiio Olympus (E10)

Which would pair better with them?

Both models have a Wolfson WM8740 DAC.

I'm assuming the Olympus (E10) sounds better since it is not portable, but that is a pretty unfounded claim.

I also read that the amp section is better in the E10.
I'm not really sure if this is true

I use the e10 with my 598's and am happy with the pairing. I haven't heard the E07, but my guess would be they would be comparable. Do you want the portability? If not I would just get the e10 and save a little money. If you want the portability or EQ options go for the E07 or if you aren't in a real hurry to get an amp, keep your eye out on Amazon as the Fiio e17 occasionally goes on sale for around $100 on there. A lot of people like the pairing of the e17 with the 598's.

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #1,994 of 7,535
Now how about when using my headphones with something like a TV or PS3.
It seems like I would need a 3.5mm input to do so..

In this case would I need the E07?
Or is there some sort of USB/Optical Audio adapter worth using?

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #1,995 of 7,535
Quote:
Now how about when using my headphones with something like a TV or PS3.
It seems like I would need a 3.5mm input to do so..

In this case would I need the E07?
Or is there some sort of USB/Optical Audio adapter worth using?

Fiio E17 would give you [size=small]S/PDIF optical input, e10 and e07 would not. I don't think trying to use an optical adapter would be worthwhile. You could use the e07 with RCA to 3.5mm splitter hooked up to tv/ps3, but then you would be bypassing the e07's DAC and only utilizing it's amp. I don't think the optical input on the e17 bypasses the DAC, but I am not positive on that. [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back