Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #1,847 of 7,535
Thanks for all the answers guys!

My price range would be about 150€.

Its hard to me to explain my sound preferences because I have never used good headphones.
For example, I tried a Beats Solo HD (yeah I know) and although the bass suited ok for hip hop, rap, etc.... I found that it made everything a little too muddy for Trance, where theres a lot of sounds, echoes, subtle vocals, like the example I posted... The bass had impact (maybe a lil too much for trance, guess would be better for techno) but the sounds didnt, and that annoyed me.

Also, I guess I should note I dont have an amp, and I dont think I can afford a good one right now. I would use them on my PC, TV and MP3 player.

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #1,848 of 7,535
Quote:
Thanks for all the answers guys!

My price range would be about 150€.

Its hard to me to explain my sound preferences because I have never used good headphones.
For example, I tried a Beats Solo HD (yeah I know) and although the bass suited ok for hip hop, rap, etc.... I found that it made everything a little too muddy for Trance, where theres a lot of sounds, echoes, subtle vocals, like the example I posted... The bass had impact (maybe a lil too much for trance, guess would be better for techno) but the sounds didnt, and that annoyed me.

Also, I guess I should note I dont have an amp, and I dont think I can afford a good one right now. I would use them on my PC, TV and MP3 player.

well the HD598 would definitely be an great upgrade to you with its soundstage, clarity, controlled bass, and the lovely vocals.

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #1,850 of 7,535
Quote:
Thanks!

Would be worth to get a FiiO E5? They are cheap but I dont know anything about amps and Im not sure if that cheap amp would be worth.

i'm not sure about an E5 but i have an E6 and all it does for me is change the eq setting and volume, quality is not boosted much at all as far as i can hear.
it could be different with the E5 though

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #1,851 of 7,535
Quote:
Thanks!

Would be worth to get a FiiO E5? They are cheap but I dont know anything about amps and Im not sure if that cheap amp would be worth.

A lot of people may laugh at me for saying this but I think FiiO E5/6 is good enough to drive most low impedance cans... the only issue is that background noise is a bit more audible than with most higher priced amps but this is a minor issue. 

You'll get a subtle difference at the most, with any amps really, no matter the price.The FiiO E5/6 is good enough to give you that subtle difference for a low price and great portability. 

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #1,852 of 7,535
Quote:
Is there an easy to know the manufacturing date of this headphones? by serial or something? i know they had issues with the headbands breaking in 2011 :/ i want to make sure the ones i buy were made in 2012

I guess you will be fine. I bought mine in the end of 2010 and I never had breaking issues in the headband, at least until now. Great headphone with big soundstage. Construction is not the best but the sound quality make up for it. Very recommended. I love them.

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #1,853 of 7,535
Quote:

I guess you will be fine. I bought mine in the end of 2010 and I never had breaking issues in the headband, at least until now. Great headphone with big soundstage. Construction is not the best but the sound quality make up for it. Very recommended. I love them.

Yes I agree he will be fine. It has been long (and I mean LONG) since someone complained about the headband breaking. 

Sennheisers in general do not have great build quality (to keep prices down) but make up for it in sound quality.  

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #1,854 of 7,535
Thanks for the help everyone.

I realized I need to get a new MP3 player (I'll get a Sansa Clip+) so that definitively kills my budget for an amp.

Also I've been looking around and theres no sing of Beyers770 phones on my country anyways, coupled that I will use them unamped , I guess thats settle it all for the 598 hd. Amazon have good returning policies anyways if Im not happy with them.

Thanks again for the help guys, didnt know how overwhelming getting a good pair of phones could be, with the bass problems, amps needed, etc

Ill keep you informed :)

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #1,855 of 7,535
I made an account just so I could post here :p 

I am new to the game of understanding quality, I bought my father the 518 and felt that the bass as present a little too much. The question is, do I fork out extra and get the 598 (possibly with a DAC) or buy myself some 518's.

Will be used for long gaming/music listening sessions. 

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #1,856 of 7,535
I just registred as well just to post my own opinion, cause i'm absolutely loving these headphones.
I've been lurking trough several threads here on HF for a week or two now & perhaps my opinion isn't the greatest having only used "gaming" headsets in the past, but i'm absolutely loving these headphones.
I was a bit afraid/skeptical with all the socalled bass "issues" people have been posting about, so i ended up buying a Xonar DG (inexpensive card, ~25eur) to compliment them, and i have to say i'm absolutely blown away by these, the sound is crystal clear, absolutely crisp, the bass is fine as well! I did end up upping the bass just slightly trough the EQ of the card, but even on default i couldn't really complain honestly.

I use my headphones for gaming, movies and music, and it's a great allrounder i have to say, for gaming however it is simply amazing .. I thought i had a nice sound experience in battlefield with my old 5.1 gaming headset, but this is just world's apart! As soon as i entered the game i actually felt like i was in a whole different game, everything sounds mindblowing.
They're super comfortable as well, can barely feel i have them on.

I wanted to say thanks for the thread, as it helped me make up my mind about these! I will keep lurking about :wink:

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #1,857 of 7,535
Quote:
I made an account just so I could post here :p 

I am new to the game of understanding quality, I bought my father the 518 and felt that the bass as present a little too much. The question is, do I fork out extra and get the 598 (possibly with a DAC) or buy myself some 518's.

Will be used for long gaming/music listening sessions. 

the HD598 and HD558 have less bass presence than the HD518 and would also do better in gaming and music sessions (they are also more comfortable too)

Dec 28, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #1,858 of 7,535
On the subject of returns I often purchase from a retailer like sweetwater or musicians friend when possible.  They will almost always take return.  Amazon can send you to some super mom and pop shops without you realizing it you've put your high end purchase and support in an unknown quantity.   I know sweetwater has taken many returns that the manufacturer would not of (thats why I pay the extra ten bux).  Too bad their selection leaves out some of the best gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back