Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Oct 29, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #1,711 of 7,535
just thought i'd add my feedback on these cans. i love them. they look way better in person, they seem a little fragile but well constructed at the same time. Sound is amazing for me, coming from bass heavy phones (S4, D2000, M50, etc) I was worried about lacking lower frequencies but these seem to deliver when needed and this is coming from iMac hp jack. Modern R&B (Drake, Frank Ocean) have enough bass for me, but some pop/rock (U2, Radiohead) *might* be bass-lite for some people. For me pop rock sounds muddy when the bass is too emphasized, so I feel I can really hear the music compared to M50 where all the midrange details were overshadowed. Out of my Rotel stereo receiver I can EQ more than enough bass and they sound stunning, tbh. Don't want to beat a dead horse but my impressions align with other positive reviews: mids are really exceptional for the price, treble details shines without hurting and soundstage really immerses me into the music. They seem very refined to me because of the mids, esp compared to D2000 (which I never really liked because of the mids which I felt to be very very recessed compared to the bass) ... dont have any phones on hand to compare these to, but I'm definitely completely satisfied. Also, they DO improve tremendously with amping and DAC-ing, so I'm looking forward to building a system around them. In the meantime I'm very happy with them out of the iMac. Wow ... just very very happy with them. Let a friend listen (total total non audiophile, non HP addict) he described them as "fancy-sounding" listening to Drake and didnt want to take them off. Thank you again Headfiers!

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #1,712 of 7,535
thats good to hear, glad you enjoy them
tongue.gif

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #1,713 of 7,535
oooooooh yes! first eargasm to this song by Bill Fay. Never heard it sound so good, wow! the 598's just sing, really shows off the separation, the clarity, texture, and the way it never loses focus of the vocals ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAmpgK9C_iE

Oct 29, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #1,714 of 7,535
[size=10pt]Recently I got HD-650 hoping it as upgrade to HD598…running both on Lyr....HD-650 is no way upgrade to 598….650 has more timbre and much more detailed…but fails and cannot compete with HD-598 great sound stage and imaging….[/size]

[size=10pt]Even bass on 598 is more refined than 650 if not sounds similar….598 has sweetest smooth signature, for me there is no other HP like 598 and simply cannot be replaced.[/size]

Oct 29, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #1,715 of 7,535
Music, I had the HD650 for a few weeks about a year ago and granted, I ran it off the same set-up I have now (Pure i-20 into Rotel receiver) I dont' remember being quite as wow-ed by it. Part of this is probably due to the fact that I'm not an audiophile in the strict sense of the word, I'm a music lover you appreciates "quality" sound (all kinds of subjectivity there, I know) .... not that the HD650 is less pleasurable in any objective way, to the contrary, I'm sure for lots of folks its the bees knees!!! But I think I understand what people mean when they say the HD598 is colored ... it seems to have subtle frequency exaggerations in just the right spots for me ... it is SOOOOO sweet and smooth

Oct 30, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #1,716 of 7,535
Quote:
[size=10pt]Recently I got HD-650 hoping it as upgrade to HD598…running both on Lyr....HD-650 is no way upgrade to 598….650 has more timbre and much more detailed…but fails and cannot compete with HD-598 great sound stage and imaging….[/size]

[size=10pt]Even bass on 598 is more refined than 650 if not sounds similar….598 has sweetest smooth signature, for me there is no other HP like 598 and simply cannot be replaced.[/size]

Agreed. I've heard the HD-650 and compared them side to side. The HD650 was designed for a low-mid centric frequency response, which is understandable, but I think it was a total failure. The bass is chunky, no matter what amp you use it to feed it with, if you compare it with the 598. The HD-598's bass is quite faithful to what the artist intended and I think it deserves a lot more credit. It is just enough to make bass heavy genres sound bass heavy, while never getting in the way of the midrange and treble. 

Both do not really reproduce all that much sub-bass but by designs, headphones have a very hard time reproducing that range. And even a boost in that range can only render a mere illusion of "rumble"; it's much more satisfying to get a speaker to reproduce sub-bass and actually feel the bass in your cavities. 
Quote:
Music, I had the HD650 for a few weeks about a year ago and granted, I ran it off the same set-up I have now (Pure i-20 into Rotel receiver) I dont' remember being quite as wow-ed by it. Part of this is probably due to the fact that I'm not an audiophile in the strict sense of the word, I'm a music lover you appreciates "quality" sound (all kinds of subjectivity there, I know) .... not that the HD650 is less pleasurable in any objective way, to the contrary, I'm sure for lots of folks its the bees knees!!! But I think I understand what people mean when they say the HD598 is colored ... it seems to have subtle frequency exaggerations in just the right spots for me ... it is SOOOOO sweet and smooth

The HD598 is far less colored than most headphones near its price range actually. A tad warm and very slightly bright representation. The HD600 is the only phone I've heard that sounds more neutral actually. I haven't heard any of the planar magnetic cans though. 

Oct 30, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #1,717 of 7,535
Quote:

hmm... i guess i would waste my money if i upgraded to the HD650 in the distant future?

Oct 30, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #1,718 of 7,535

I'm finding this to be so true! In a way I'm actually most surprised about the bass on these phones! From many of the reviews you'd think they had basically no bass! I find the bass perfect in relation to the mids, and while I'm not a bass head I am a bass lover, so yeah pretty happy about that. Amping strongly improves the lower end IMO ....

I know they aren't colored in the conventional way (v shape) but they seem to be colored in the same way the Shure 535 is, in fact the HD 598 remind me a bit of those iem's. mid forward coloration? Anyways if you say they aren't colored that's fine, whatever they are I'm thoroughly impressed. I'm surprised people like prefer the d2000 to these! Those felt very soft and fuzzy through bass and mid then sharp up top. The 598 feels way more balanced refined articulate and spacious. And I NEVER thought I'd say it but the looks of them is really growing on me.

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #1,719 of 7,535
Quote:

The HD650 is pretty selective about what stuff works well with it, much like the HD800. I've never used a Lyr, so I wouldn't know how it sounds.

I think it might mostly be a sound signature issue, too. I like the HD598 and HD600, but I wouldn't buy an HD650 even though I respect it immensely for its technical abilities. I actually prefer it to the HD700, which I think is confused about its own identity. The HD800 is just so technically proficient that no one can really knock it.

The HD598 is definitely one of the most well-rounded headphones around and is easy to drive while we're at it. At the moment, I think only an estat can probably satisfy me in taking a significant step forward.

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #1,721 of 7,535
Quote:

No, you've found someone who likes the HD 598 better than the HD 650. In the HD 650 Appreciation thread, you'll find others who like the HD 650 better than the HD 598.

oh yeah thats true...

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #1,722 of 7,535
Quote:

No, you've found someone who likes the HD 598 better than the HD 650. In the HD 650 Appreciation thread, you'll find others who like the HD 650 better than the HD 598.

Agreed there are always supporters of both sides. People's preferences are really dependent on what kind of music they listen to. It's believable why people would prefer a D2000 over a HD650 for example in genres like EDM.  But overall, Sennheisers tend to be better all-arounders than other headphone brands (AKG, Beyerdynamic, Denon, etc.) because it lacks:

1) recessed midrange (any song with vocals = mediocre) 
2) treble boost (makes some recordings impossible to listen to) 

And in my mind the HD598 was a better all-arounder than even the HD600 or HD650. This is mainly due to a brighter presentation (more treble) that makes it seem faster and more "exciting". Couple that with greater comfort, smoother presentation, and superior soundstage. Better vocals imo as well. 

With that said, I really enjoyed the HD650. Its dark presentation was quite unique and although I felt like it gave the same color to almost every song I listened to, it's something I had to listen to at least once. If upgrading audio equipment is a hobby in order to achieve the highest fidelity possible (remember hi-fi = high fidelity to source), then the HD650 really isn't an upgrade to the HD598. It has slightly better technicalities (timbre, extension, response, etc.) but trades it off for a more colored presentation and lesser soundstage. 

Fidelity comes first, then coloration second. You have to hear how the artist intended a song to be first, before you can make judgment, and then add your own coloration to the sound afterwards (preferably with EQ, not by buying more audio equipment).  

Oct 30, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #1,723 of 7,535
the soundstage on these is truly incredible, cannot be overstated ... anyone that loves mids and soundstage should try these. TBH I never really got the soundstage effect, even from the D2000 ... I can't take these off!!!

Oct 30, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #1,724 of 7,535
Quote:
the soundstage on these is truly incredible, cannot be overstated ... anyone that loves mids and soundstage should try these. TBH I never really got the soundstage effect, even from the D2000 ... I can't take these off!!!

The soundstage on the D2000 felt really good when I used to think of it as a closed headphone. But that certainly isn't the case since they are actually more open than closed in actuality. Anyone who wants a nice balance between soundstage and bass (usually two incompatible qualities in headphones) should look into the Denons but they suffer from recessed midrange and a tad strong treble. 

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #1,725 of 7,535
Quote:
Quote:

oh yeah thats true...

[size=medium]agreed everyone has their own preferences….some like HD650 and few other (like me) love HD598 … expect for timbre 598 is much more enjoyable....HE-400 centers vocals on top of the head which is cool after you get used to it…with 650 vocals sounds close to ears...but 598 sound more like a speaker…vocals are pushed back like one feet away…I can feel the distance between my ears and sound…this makes me forget actually an HP is on my head. [/size]

[size=medium]598 sound somewhat liquid where all the music comes together, when directly compared to 650 but fun to listen to...my only point was 650 is not radical upgrade from 598 [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back