Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
May 12, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #1,381 of 7,535
Quote:
Do you think that these headphones will be OK to listen to music like Daft Punk, Lady Gaga, ADELE, Rihanna, The Corrs, Soundtracks (Koji Kondo, Yann Tiersen...), J-Pop and Club Music-Dance/Electro (Inna, Jessie J, Marina & The Diamonds, Ratatat, David Guetta, Swedish House Mafia, Madeon...) or even some downtempo music (Hôtel Costes). 

Thanks!

Well, it depends on what you want in music. A lot of the stuff you mention sounds best with some bass body in it. The HD598 has very well controled good bass but it's still an open back phone which means it's clear and all but doesn't have much body. I personally don't care because I don't really listen to pop/electro music but if I would I wouldn't care to much for the HD598 I think. The rare times I do listen to electro I do like the HD598 for their clarity but you can feel there is something missing. I would go for something from Denon or the likes.

May 12, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #1,382 of 7,535
Found great price for these on ebay, the seller had opened box but never used them, so I snatched these for $188.
biggrin.gif

Supposed to be coming soon, can't wait to try them.

May 13, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #1,383 of 7,535
Mine finally arrived and I think these are phenomenal! I'm still new to the whole audiophile experience but they're super comfortable and my music sounds great and I love them. 

The upgrade bug has caught onto me though and I'm left wondering, is it worth buying a DAC for these? I know lots say that these are easy enough to drive but I'm wondering if it will be a significant difference if I do pick one up.

May 14, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #1,385 of 7,535
Just got my HD 598, ive had them on my ears for like 5mins now, not too impressed. Yet.

Any idea if you can remove the earcups without damaging something? Atleast with my last sennheisers earcups can be removed easily. I just dont want to start tearing these apart if im not sure they can.

Hahaaa! Yes, you can remove the ear cushions, and YES, Sennheiser PC-350 earcushions fits on Sennheiser HD 598!! Yay, im so happy, these are so much more comfortable<3

May 14, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #1,386 of 7,535
Quote:
Just got my HD 598, ive had them on my ears for like 5mins now, not too impressed. Yet.

Any idea if you can remove the earcups without damaging something? Atleast with my last sennheisers earcups can be removed easily. I just dont want to start tearing these apart if im not sure they can.

Hahaaa! Yes, you can remove the ear cushions, and YES, Sennheiser PC-350 earcushions fits on Sennheiser HD 598!! Yay, im so happy, these are so much more comfortable<3

They're not comfortable for you? I think that they feel pretty good, just got mine today. I guess everyone has their own preferences.

May 15, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #1,387 of 7,535
I've noticed that the 598s are pretty polarizing comfort wise.  Either they are heavenly, or they are very much in need of improvement.  Also I might have to look into the 350 ear pads.  Might be an interesting experience. (and a cheaper replacement vs. the stock pads.)

May 15, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #1,388 of 7,535
For the new buyers, be patient, the HD 598's pads need to adapt to the shape of your head. It takes about a week or two. After that their comfort is excellent. At first the might feel a bit stiff.

May 15, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #1,389 of 7,535
I've had my HD598s for 2 months now, and I hate them for the following reasons:

They make my wallet hurt. After a few weeks, I spent $140 on a FiiO E17, and just yesterday I spent $50 on parts to kludge up a way to get digital out from my iPad.

They steal my time. I used to listen to music while working on my PC, now I just listen to music - can't seem to get any work done, and my wife complains about my unresponsiveness whilst I'm en-canned.

They devalued my music collection. I have 8,000+ songs, but I find myself sticking to only those albums which are well enough produced to make my new cans shine. A lot of my hard rock has been sitting idle. I'm also re-ripping a number of albums to FLAC (see time-theft above) and buying new CDs (see wallet-pain above).

Seriously though, they sound great on my PC (Realtek integrated), iPad, and Creative X-Fi Zen, but they are awesome when driven by my E17, fed via USB. I find a Bass +2 setting fills out the sound to my tastes on most tracks. Couldn't be happier as a noob to this scene.

May 16, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #1,391 of 7,535
They devalued my music collection. I have 8,000+ songs, but I find myself sticking to only those albums which are well enough produced to make my new cans shine. A lot of my hard rock has been sitting idle. I'm also re-ripping a number of albums to FLAC (see time-theft above) and buying new CDs (see wallet-pain above).

they are forgiving with low rate bitrates, in fact i've lowered the majority of my flacs to 320cbr. 

hey guys. how much different sounding are the hd558 from these hd598? i ask becuase when i have to replace them, my budget is more around $150 than $250. luckily i got mine for $170 sometime back.

http://www.head-fi.org/search.php?search=hd558+&containingthread%5B%5D=541039&output=posts&action=disp

give a look here

May 16, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #1,392 of 7,535
they are forgiving with low rate bitrates, in fact i've lowered the majority of my flacs to 320cbr. 

All of my music is compressed with LAME -vbrnew (lvl 2 I think).

I've never had a problem with the sound of my mp3s, but I got a new Bach box set and thought I'd see if the 598s would show any difference between lossless and slightly lossy. I haven't done any serious testing, but it seems to me that the FLACs provide a fuller, more resonant bass when Yo-Yo Ma play Bach's Cello Concertos and a more immersive full sound in Bach's fugues. I can't say there's a noticeable difference with rock: Pink Floyd, ELP, Rush, etc.

May 16, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #1,395 of 7,535
Quote:
All of my music is compressed with LAME -vbrnew (lvl 2 I think).
I've never had a problem with the sound of my mp3s, but I got a new Bach box set and thought I'd see if the 598s would show any difference between lossless and slightly lossy. I haven't done any serious testing, but it seems to me that the FLACs provide a fuller, more resonant bass when Yo-Yo Ma play Bach's Cello Concertos and a more immersive full sound in Bach's fugues. I can't say there's a noticeable difference with rock: Pink Floyd, ELP, Rush, etc.

Yes, exactly. In fact only the (few :frowning2: ) classical albums are lossless in my collection. 
thanks. think the shure sr884 or krk 8400 can compete with a hd558/598?

another possibility is the sony mdrv6 or brainwavz hm5. im looking for a neutral critical listener, open or closed back. circumaural for around $150

will i be dissapointed going to any of these from a hd598? i have a pair of k240s and the hd598 are clearly better

With 150$ I don't think that you're going to get a better pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back