Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #1,321 of 7,535
Hey all,

Well after some debate, I thought I was going to get some AKG Q701's, but after asking/foruming around, I found out that they apparently sound TERRIBLE if not amped with an expensive, desktop amp. So I think I'm starting to learn towards the Senn 598's here.

I do have a Fii0 E11 (brand new), and that's about it as far as amps go. I'm not really interested in buying a big desktop amp right now because I'm a college student and I spend about 90% of my day away from my apartment.

So I ask you guys: can the 598's be amped with something portable like the E11? Or do they require something big and powerful too?

And one last thing, can someone who've owned these a while give me a general feel what they're like? I've only ever owned closed cans, and most Audio-Technica ones at that. I don't want a giant review, just a few keys points like how the mids/highs/lows sound and such.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #1,322 of 7,535

Quote:
Hey all,

Well after some debate, I thought I was going to get some AKG Q701's, but after asking/foruming around, I found out that they apparently sound TERRIBLE if not amped with an expensive, desktop amp. So I think I'm starting to learn towards the Senn 598's here.

Wise decision and good choice.

So I ask you guys: can the 598's be amped with something portable like the E11? Or do they require something big and powerful too?

No, you are fine.

Apr 8, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #1,323 of 7,535

Quote:

598 can be driven from an iPod. Just turn the volume up. It's  fine.

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #1,326 of 7,535
Replacement headphones got here ~week ago, but I've been too sick to update. Still sick, but I'm on a computer so why not come here? The replacements are, again, functionally perfect.

However, I think I got a DIYed refurb or something. The paint on the metal mesh on the left cup is more bronze-y, and if I rub it with a tissue it turns the tissue black. The other side doesn't do this - it also rubs off on my hands pretty easily. Very annoying. Initially, it had a strong "painty" scent on that side but that's died down. I'm going to call Sennheiser when I can speak again

Apr 9, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #1,327 of 7,535
Has anybody hear heard the AD900 or DT440 and HD598. Im looking for an open phone that is more or less on the same level as them but with a better balanced response (more bass than the AD900 and less treble than the DT440).  Something along the lines of an open DT250 is what im after.

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #1,328 of 7,535

Quote:
Has anybody hear heard the AD900 or DT440 and HD598. Im looking for an open phone that is more or less on the same level as them but with a better balanced response (more bass than the AD900 and less treble than the DT440).  Something along the lines of an open DT250 is what im after.

I heard AD900 and HD598 last week. In my imagination the bass of the AD900 was very boring, I believe the bass on HD598 was better than AD900 but not too much. If I had to give the bass score then I would give AD900 4 or 5 and HD 598 would give it 5 or 6. AD900 is suitable for fast pace rhythm and HD 598 is suitable for slow and average pace rhythm.

I have not heard DT440 so I can not describe the sound of DT440.

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #1,329 of 7,535

Quote:

HD598 is the more balanced one compared to the DT440, although not by much.

Apr 14, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #1,330 of 7,535
I'm really interested in the HD 598 but I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to headphones (which is why I'm here to learn).  I would primarily use these for listening to music off my macbook pro or for gaming (ps3 on a samsung tv).  Would these be appropriate?  I heard the open design means they would handle gaming fairly well, similar to surround sound?

Thank you!

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #1,331 of 7,535
For gaming this headphone is good but the drawback is when hearing the explosion is not good because the bass of HD 598 is just over average little bit.
It can do well for many genres excepts fast kinds of music and some hardcore bass kinds of music such as dance or hard rock, metal rock.

Overall it is a good headphone for gaming and music, I suppose and it can scale up more if you invest more in DACs and Amps.

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #1,332 of 7,535

Quote:
I'm really interested in the HD 598 but I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to headphones (which is why I'm here to learn).  I would primarily use these for listening to music off my macbook pro or for gaming (ps3 on a samsung tv).  Would these be appropriate?  I heard the open design means they would handle gaming fairly well, similar to surround sound?

Thank you!

they are good headphones for sound whoring if thats what you mean.

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #1,333 of 7,535
I just got my 598's very recently (few days ago), and I'm really enjoying them so far. I've only been using them at home, since I'm in college and to wear anything but a closed can while going from class to class would be ludicrous.

I'm loving the soundstage, since this is my first pair of open cans, and I'm actually surprised as the 'umph' of the bass. I'll post more if I have any other speculations. Otherwise, I agree with most of the observations already stated in this thread.

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #1,334 of 7,535
Hi new to the forums here. Alright I'm eagerly awaiting my headphones right now, they're another couple of days away. So in the meantime I thought id try to get as much info on them as possible. I'll mainly be using these at home plugging them into a 07' MacBook pro, a 1995 Bose 5.1 system for movies/ games, also might plug them into my iPod/iPad periodically. I've noticed people have been saying these headphones would benefit from an amp. I was looking into the flip e11 and e17, does anyone have any experience using the e11 or e17? Oh also I bought it new from a seller on amazon if I find the I get cracking problems will I still get the 2year warranty even though I didn't buy off an official retailer? Thanks everyone

Apr 15, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #1,335 of 7,535
Quote:
Hi new to the forums here. Alright I'm eagerly awaiting my headphones right now, they're another couple of days away. So in the meantime I thought id try to get as much info on them as possible. I'll mainly be using these at home plugging them into a 07' MacBook pro, a 1995 Bose 5.1 system for movies/ games, also might plug them into my iPod/iPad periodically. I've noticed people have been saying these headphones would benefit from an amp. I was looking into the flip e11 and e17, does anyone have any experience using the e11 or e17? Oh also I bought it new from a seller on amazon if I find the I get cracking problems will I still get the 2year warranty even though I didn't buy off an official retailer? Thanks everyone

I actually think you'll get more benefit from getting a USB DAC/Amp that also has RCA outputs as well, such as the iBasso D7, The HRT HeadStreamer, or Audioengine D1. You can use products like these as a source for both the HD598 and your speaker system. That means that you won't be able to amplify the sound out of your iPod (which is where the HD598 would actually need more power), but I think something like that can at least pull double duty for you. To answer your question, I didn't care much for the E11, but I thought the feature set of the E17 was quite excellent. The performance is also makedly improved over the E7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back