Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Mar 20, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #1,278 of 7,535

Quote:
Congratulations on your new 'phones!  I am considering the HD598's but am worried about their clamping force and long-term comfort.  I have a large head (unfortunately no extra brains!) and wear glasses.  I recently bought some PX100-II's and they just fit me if the sides of the headband are extended fully.

Their clamping force is about ideal. Not too tight and not as lose to fall from the head if you move. Comfort only improves with usage. If during the first listening session it might feel stiff, the level of comfort changes positively once the earpads are learning the shape of your head. The HD 598 are fairly large and should fit bigger heads with no problems.

Quote:
Did this new plastic used in the 598 actually fix the cracking issues or is it still a problem?

No complains in the recent months.
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #1,280 of 7,535

Quote:
Congratulations on your new 'phones!  I am considering the HD598's but am worried about their clamping force and long-term comfort.  I have a large head (unfortunately no extra brains!) and wear glasses.  I recently bought some PX100-II's and they just fit me if the sides of the headband are extended fully.

Im sure the clamping force will be just right, even if you have a large head. The headband on the HD 598 is not too stiff, quite flexible, and the earpads are oh-so-comfy. Even if they are tight at first im sure they will loosen up and adjust to your head with time.

Mar 20, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #1,281 of 7,535

Quote:
my first post !!!!  Just received my HD598 today ! The choice was tough and I d like to thank head-fi users that took time to review and share their experiences.

These headphones sound great out of the box, but I expect (hope) they will improve after some time. I had only 20minutes to test them, but globally they are excellent. I can only compare them to my other cans (beyerdynamic dt 990 pro 250ohm, Audio Technica ATH-M50).

Everything is good (soundstage, AAA confort, good design, no need for an amp) ! Absolutely do not regret this purchase. My only negative points so far :

- bass is less defined that I expected (it is a i would said a bit "blurry"). I hope the sound will be more balanced after some burn in.
- Not an important point at all, but I would really have prefered these to be black/grey (but they are less ugly than I expected compared to some photos from the web)

Voila, voila, this was my first impression. I'll update these comments after some testing.

Bass and overall sound quality will definitely improve with burn in, I remember being somewhat disappointed on my first listen with the HD 598, but after a couple of weeks I was listening to them and I just seemed to suddenly realize that the sound just seemed to have magically gotten alot better. Bass is usually the greatest aspect of the sound that improves when a headphone is burned in, but dont expect these to ever have the bass impact of your M50s. Thats not to say the HD598 does not have sufficient bass though, it just depends on whatever song you are playing. Also, if you hooked them up to a good amp like the E9, im very certain you will hear a very noticeable improvement in bass depth and quantity.

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #1,283 of 7,535
Call JR and electronic expo and bargain hard, I got it for 165 that way around 40 days back

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #1,284 of 7,535

They bass never improved for me. It was weak and muddy when I got them and the same when I sold them. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot about them, but they didn't represent the bass enough for me to keep.
Quote:
my first post !!!!  Just received my HD598 today ! The choice was tough and I d like to thank head-fi users that took time to review and share their experiences.

These headphones sound great out of the box, but I expect (hope) they will improve after some time. I had only 20minutes to test them, but globally they are excellent. I can only compare them to my other cans (beyerdynamic dt 990 pro 250ohm, Audio Technica ATH-M50).

Everything is good (soundstage, AAA confort, good design, no need for an amp) ! Absolutely do not regret this purchase. My only negative points so far :

- bass is less defined that I expected (it is a i would said a bit "blurry"). I hope the sound will be more balanced after some burn in.
- Not an important point at all, but I would really have prefered these to be black/grey (but they are less ugly than I expected compared to some photos from the web)

Voila, voila, this was my first impression. I'll update these comments after some testing.

Mar 21, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #1,286 of 7,535
I'm having a really tough time deciding between these and the SRH840. I can probably get the SRH840s for ≤$130, but can't find the HD 598s for even $200.
The lack of bass is a bit concerning too, but I'm just looking for a more casual pair of headphones. Something I can game with(what I hear the hd598s are great for), but would also be good for music. I have DT990s and Grado 225is. I am extremely pleased with both so I'm just looking for a missing piece to my puzzle.

Mar 21, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #1,287 of 7,535
Check out the FS forum here, you can find them for $170-$190.

Are you going to be playing shooters like COD or BF? If not then maybe you should get something with more bass than the 598s.

Quote:
I'm having a really tough time deciding between these and the SRH840. I can probably get the SRH840s for ≤$130, but can't find the HD 598s for even $200.
The lack of bass is a bit concerning too, but I'm just looking for a more casual pair of headphones. Something I can game with, but would also be good(Doesn't need to be great, I have my 225i's & DT990s that i'm thoroughly in love with) for music.

Mar 21, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #1,288 of 7,535

Quote:
Check out the FS forum here, you can find them for $170-$190.

Are you going to be playing shooters like COD or BF? If not then maybe you should get something with more bass than the 598s.

I mean, among other things I would also be playing shooters like CoD & BF. I have the turtle beach dss and my last headphones I used them with were sony mdr7506(R.I.P. 
frown.gif
). 

Any suggestions on comparable headphones with more bass w/o breaking the bank? 

Mar 21, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #1,289 of 7,535

Quote:
i hope you dont wear them like in your avatar photo on that fake head becuase theyre backwards lol. they may sound better if you flip em around

Obviously. The head is facing me, so it's easier to take them off and set them on the head backwards than it is to take them off, turn them around, and then set them on the head.

Headphones should be to Sennheiser by the 27th, said UPS. Will update on how the warranty process goes.

On the bass: If you're disappointed by the 598's, try a different Sennheiser or a bassier headphone. I've had no issues with bass being "muddy" - it's present, not overbearing, and it's more bass than a Grado (big accomplishment, right?).

The HD598's aren't very good for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back