Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #1,022 of 7,535

Quote:
I got my HD-598s about a week ago and at first I didn't really care for them. They sounded anemic and the bass was just not there, sure they sounded nice and balanced but I definately expected more for the money. Normal listening habits during the past week had pretty much been exclusively listening to Pandora through my computers headphones jack. Disappointed with my new cans, I started researching more about Grado headphones as those seemed to really get great reviews, as well, specifically the 225is which are in the same price range. So, I went down to my local Hi-Fi shop who is an authorized retailer of Grado to demo the whole prestige line along with comparing them to my HD-598s. I started with the HD-598s and slapped in my copy of Dire Straights Brothers in Arms and let so far away spin up and good lord they sounded sweet! Bass was thumping and the headphones just seemed to open up. It's like the horse blankets had been thrown off my cans! This was what I was expecting! now I put on the 225i's. They were waaaay to bright and bass was not there, not compared to the Senns. For me the HD-598s were far and away the better headphone in every catergory. I even let the owner of the shop listen and he was very impressed. The problem I am now faced with is that my hi-fi shop was using a $700 tube pre-amp and an Adcom amp probably another $700 (didn't catch the price on that one). Anyway, I think the HD-598s benefit greatly from quality electronics and now I need to research headphone amps and DACs in order to get me back to the experience I crave for these headphones.
Anyone have a good recommendation for great bang for the buck headphone amp and or DAC? So far, I've read good things about the V-CANs. Anyone tried those?

In summary, I am now a believer in these headphones if paired with quality electronics

What's your budget?

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #1,023 of 7,535
Quote:
Anybody can do comparison of
HD598 to grado sr60i 

Well... The Grado lacks the bass and the smoothness of the HD598, but seems more energetic and seems faster.  I'm beginning to come to terms with the phrases used around here, and I'd have to say that the Grados do work better with certain genres than the 598s.  Overall I find the Sennheisers to be the superior headphone in everything but a few metal bands.  Both headphones sound very nice with acoustic music.  The Grados will pull this off by having you seemingly sit on the floor while your uncle plays the guitar, while the Sennheisers will have you sitting at a bar while someone plays on the stage.  (Best I could come up with...)  

Comfort wise I'd take the Sennheisers even if you gave the sr-60's for free.   The Grados are fine for a few hours, but the foam will compress down and the plastic bits will begin poking my ears.  The Sennheisers are closer to wearing mittens and covering your ears with your hands. 

Hope this helped. 

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #1,024 of 7,535

Quote:
first off you need to let them burn in.

second they are the most natural and balanced cans i have heard. they are the perfect medium between anemic and bass heavy. the brightness is also there in all its sparklyness and glory on the hd598, just not painful to the ear in any way shape or form. im listening straight from my laptop with no amp and also pandora at times as well. they only stream in 128kbps, but it still sounds beautiful on the on the hd598, even fast agressive tracks. (they are by no means "aggresive" headphones though, maybe thats what you need to invest in, like the grado your comparing it to)

you should try getting higher quality recordings and let them burn in before you really want to judge them

I was wondering about the burn-in process. How many hours and how loud would you go? Would cranking up the bass help?

Quote:
What's your budget?

I was thinking I could probably get something decent for around $120 like the V-CANs. (Can anyone comment on these?)
Not sure about the DAC. Is there anything good at all in the $100 price range?

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #1,025 of 7,535

Guys, do you think that the Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 is enough to drive the HD598?
It does have a "Headphone load impedance 16Ω ~ 600Ω".

I'm just asking because I'd like to know if I'm using the HD598 to their full potential or not.

Thanks you.

Jan 15, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #1,026 of 7,535

Quote:

Guys, do you think that the Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 is enough to drive the HD598?
It does have a "Headphone load impedance 16Ω ~ 600Ω".

I'm just asking because I'd like to know if I'm using the HD598 to their full potential or not.

Thanks you.

That card should work well with them.

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #1,027 of 7,535
Hi guys,

I hope you don't mind if I ask a couple of questions in this thread, vs. starting a new one.

The time has come for me to invest in a $100-$200 pair of phones for casual listening.  I won't be using a dedicated amp, at least initially.  My main listening will be via the headphone jack of my Denon AVP-A1HDCI processor.  I will also likely listen via iPhone/iPad line out to FLAC files streamed from my Squeezebox system.  

I prefer the open-air design/sound and comfort that I think the 598s will provide, although I have not heard them.  One of my main concerns is that my main listening room is close to the air-conditioner/heater, and when it is on, the return-air noise is 60dB at my seat (measured via SPL meter).  This is too loud of a background noise to enjoy LPs/music in the evening because I would have to turn it up loud enough to overcome the A/C and disturb my family.

Do you think the design of the 598s will block out some of the A/C noise?  I realize closed cans are better for this, but I would strongly prefer open style.

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #1,028 of 7,535

Quote:
Hi guys,

I hope you don't mind if I ask a couple of questions in this thread, vs. starting a new one.

The time has come for me to invest in a $100-$200 pair of phones for casual listening.  I won't be using a dedicated amp, at least initially.  My main listening will be via the headphone jack of my Denon AVP-A1HDCI processor.  I will also likely listen via iPhone/iPad line out to FLAC files streamed from my Squeezebox system.  

I prefer the open-air design/sound and comfort that I think the 598s will provide, although I have not heard them.  One of my main concerns is that my main listening room is close to the air-conditioner/heater, and when it is on, the return-air noise is 60dB at my seat (measured via SPL meter).  This is too loud of a background noise to enjoy LPs/music in the evening because I would have to turn it up loud enough to overcome the A/C and disturb my family.

Do you think the design of the 598s will block out some of the A/C noise?  I realize closed cans are better for this, but I would strongly prefer open style.

Unfortunately, the open back design of the HD598 will provide very little to no sound isolation.  So, you'll hear the sounds of your home's air unit quite well.  Fear not, there are some closed headphone that provide good(for closed headphones) sound stages.  Here are few options to check out:

Audio Technica A700, A900

AKG K271 MKII

Beyerdynamic DT770, DT770 PRO

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #1,029 of 7,535

Quote:

Unfortunately, the open back design of the HD598 will provide very little to no sound isolation.  So, you'll hear the sounds of your home's air unit quite well.  Fear not, there are some closed headphone that provide good(for closed headphones) sound stages.  Here are few options to check out:

Audio Technica A700, A900

AKG K271 MKII

Beyerdynamic DT770, DT770 PRO

Drat, I was afraid of that.  I appreciate the input, I will look into those models now.

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #1,031 of 7,535

Quote:
I remember Headfonia said that HD 598 is a remarkable headphone that you need to use expensive DAC-AMP to use all of potential of it and when you can do it, surely it can beat HD 650 in many genres.

This is very tempting. I'm usually a little skeptical of the magnitude of improvements an amp or dac can offer, but PioBeer's experience is pretty convincing.

@PioBeer,

Good news! I own a Adcom amp and pre-amp (which has a built in headphone amp) meant for full size speakers. Supposedly in the early '90s Adcom make the best budget componenets, so I can't imagine a restored one would cost close to $700. Of course there is the possibility what you used was totally different from what I have, but I'd love it if you could find out.

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #1,032 of 7,535
I am using an iBasso D6 Dac/Amp with the 598's (installed HiFlight's Topkit in the D6). The sound quality is just amazing with this setup - it's great with the E7/E9 also, but the D6 is something else with these phones! 

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #1,034 of 7,535

Quote:
Wish me luck!

I sent an email asking to have replaced my cracked HD 598's. (Don't worry, my model its from the first series, and one of the first on Head-Fi, yours should be fine now).

Trouble is, there's no service centre or dealer nearby and despite Sennheiser's assurements that they will replace them for free as long i can prove i'm the original owner (yes i have the papers and the original box), i'm pretty sure they'll ask me to pay the transportation back and forth. Which is something i don't agree, paying for something that it's really not my fault.

Anyway i'll keep you updated.

Guess what! Not only they don't want to replace my broken unit, they proposed instead to have only the broken parts replaced, and NO, NOT for free, for a 35 EURO + VAT charge. Likely shipping too. Should i say i also have 2 year valid warranty?

What do you think about that?
rolleyes.gif

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #1,035 of 7,535

Quote:
Guess what! Not only they don't want to replace my broken unit, they proposed instead to have only the broken parts replaced, and NO, NOT for free, for a 35 EURO + VAT charge. Likely shipping too. Should i say i also have 2 year valid warranty?

What do you think about that?
rolleyes.gif

just send them to Sennheiser and they send you a replacement...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back