Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jan 4, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #916 of 7,535
Previous post deleted.

Folks, I tried injecting a little humor here but in reviewing my words, I decided that my intentions might be easily misinterpreted.

As you know, it's difficult to express "tone" into a written form, and if you read it, I hope you understand that it was intended to be lighthearted.

My apologies...

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #921 of 7,535
Hi guys,
After auditioned few headphones i decided to buy this HD 598 but i have few questions and hope u guys can help me. Im still new in this forum, not sure im asking at the right thread or not.
1. Where can i buy HD 598 in NYC? How much the lowest price i can get? [Walk-In buy, im not from USA but my brother going to NY end of this month. Please help me listing the shops]
2. Since im not from USA, how about warranty? Is it global? Can i claim the warranty at other countries than USA?
3. Did any of guys actually use this HD 598 for outside use? [Airplanes, Trains, Buses] Im Concerning about the leak, is it too much? Im not talking about the quiet places such as library.
Thanks in advance, really appreciate for any reply.

Jan 5, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #922 of 7,535
I think J&R Music World carries them in-store.  I'm not sure about your second question.  If you plan on using it outside in noisy environments then I suggest going with another headphone entirely.  The open design of the HD598 will not only leak sound(though not overly so), it does not provide any sound isolation at all.  So, in noisy environments like buses and trains, you'll be hearing more engine noise than music.  Though, it's fine for home use or in a quieter environment.

Jan 5, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #924 of 7,535

Quote:
1. Where can i buy HD 598 in NYC? How much the lowest price i can get? [Walk-In buy, im not from USA but my brother going to NY end of this month. Please help me listing the shops]
2. Since im not from USA, how about warranty? Is it global? Can i claim the warranty at other countries than USA?
3. Did any of guys actually use this HD 598 for outside use? [Airplanes, Trains, Buses] Im Concerning about the leak, is it too much? Im not talking about the quiet places such as library.
Thanks in advance, really appreciate for any reply.

1) No idea, but Best Buy might carry them if other stores let you down. (Don't recommend it, but last resort)
2) Warranty should be global since Sennheiser does have multiple markets in different countries.  
3) I do not recommend them of anything outside of your own room.  They leak quite a bit and this does go both ways.  I couldn't imagine wearing them on an airplane, or subway for that matter.  A train or bus might work, but I doubt your seatmates will be pleased with your music choice.  Once again... They leak... a lot.  I wouldn't take an open pair of headphones into a library to be honest, and I find the 598s to be more of a home headphone as opposed to a travelling headphone. 

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #925 of 7,535
Hey,

Im about to buy my first decent pair of headphones and I'm seriously considering the HD 598s. I'm looking for a pretty versitile pair able to deal with a fairly wide range of music (though mainly classical, pop, rock) as well as do an exceptional job of Dolby Headphone for games and films, which I understand these to be. The other ones which ive been looking at are the K701/2 and D880/990. If I were acting on impulse, I suspect I'd buy the K701s, but have read a lot about them being hard to drive, boring and bass anaemic. 

My problem is that I want the huge soundstage and clarity, but don't want to lose all the bass (mainly for the games and films- I don't really listen to bass heavy music genres). I also don't have an amp at the moment (well, I have a xonar DG in my PC), so they can't be too hard to drive (which presumably rules out the k701s at least?). Though I'm not adverse to buying something later. What I don't really want to do is have to buy multiple pairs of headphones in the short term to cover all my bases.

Given these requirements, would the HD 598 be a good choice as a first pair? Or would another (possibly that I haven't thought of) be better?

Thanks!

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #926 of 7,535
DT990 has much more bass than hd598 and DT880, but its not a very good all rounder imo. DT880 is better than DT990 imo.

HD558 has slightly more bass than HD598 but less refined and detailled.

Sincerely i never had a problem with HD598 bass, but i'm not a basshead.

Jan 5, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #928 of 7,535
Hey,

Im about to buy my first decent pair of headphones and I'm seriously considering the HD 598s. I'm looking for a pretty versitile pair able to deal with a fairly wide range of music (though mainly classical, pop, rock) as well as do an exceptional job of Dolby Headphone for games and films, which I understand these to be. The other ones which ive been looking at are the K701/2 and D880/990. If I were acting on impulse, I suspect I'd buy the K701s, but have read a lot about them being hard to drive, boring and bass anaemic. 

My problem is that I want the huge soundstage and clarity, but don't want to lose all the bass (mainly for the games and films- I don't really listen to bass heavy music genres). I also don't have an amp at the moment (well, I have a xonar DG in my PC), so they can't be too hard to drive (which presumably rules out the k701s at least?). Though I'm not adverse to buying something later. What I don't really want to do is have to buy multiple pairs of headphones in the short term to cover all my bases.

Given these requirements, would the HD 598 be a good choice as a first pair? Or would another (possibly that I haven't thought of) be better?

Thanks!

Given your criteria and the fact that you don't have an amp, the HD 598 is the place to start. I recommend a current buffer style amp when you finally go down that road.

Jan 5, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #929 of 7,535
Actually im gonna use this HD 598 more at home and once or twice a month im gonna travel somewhere by buses, trains and airplanes. If its too noisy, i'll just stick with my BT headset for travelling. What headphone that is on par with HD 598 do u have in mind if i plan on using it outside in noisy environtments?

Quote:
I think J&R Music World carries them in-store.  I'm not sure about your second question.  If you plan on using it outside in noisy environments then I suggest going with another headphone entirely.  The open design of the HD598 will not only leak sound(though not overly so), it does not provide any sound isolation at all.  So, in noisy environments like buses and trains, you'll be hearing more engine noise than music.  Though, it's fine for home use or in a quieter environment.

Quote:
1) No idea, but Best Buy might carry them if other stores let you down. (Don't recommend it, but last resort)
2) Warranty should be global since Sennheiser does have multiple markets in different countries.  
3) I do not recommend them of anything outside of your own room.  They leak quite a bit and this does go both ways.  I couldn't imagine wearing them on an airplane, or subway for that matter.  A train or bus might work, but I doubt your seatmates will be pleased with your music choice.  Once again... They leak... a lot.  I wouldn't take an open pair of headphones into a library to be honest, and I find the 598s to be more of a home headphone as opposed to a travelling headphone. 

1. Why Best Buy is not recommended and last resort? Is there any thing i should know? 
2. Thanks for the clarification.
3. What headphone that is on par with HD 598 do u have in mind if i plan on using it outside in noisy environtments?

I read through this thread, and i saw some of u guys bought this HD 598 at $170 only. Where did u guys bought for such price, is it online prices? Mind to share with me? Thanks.

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #930 of 7,535
It's been on Amazon at that price pretty regularly lately. You can also get them used on Head-fi for that price. I paid $170 for mine in perfect shape box and all used from a Head-fier.

Quote:
I read through this thread, and i saw some of u guys bought this HD 598 at $170 only. Where did u guys bought for such price, is it online prices? Mind to share with me? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back