Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Dec 12, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #751 of 7,535
Quote:
Just got my HD598s in the mail a few hours ago and i am can say these are DEFINITELY keepers. Coming from the MS1000i, i did not perceive that infamous "Sennheiser Veil" that the HD6XX people are talking about, i'm just loving the mids they produce when paired with the DACport, I was actually considering getting these AND the SRH940s but.... well these are enough to keep me satisfied for a LOOONG time.

Edit: yeah and uhmm, if anybody's wondering, the headband on my HD598s don't creak at all, i don't think there will be any cracking either.

Glad to hear you went with the HD598's and that you're enjoying them that much
beerchug.gif

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #752 of 7,535
Has anyone recabled their HD598's yet? Mind sharing your experiences.

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #753 of 7,535
Quote:
Just got my HD598s in the mail a few hours ago and i am can say these are DEFINITELY keepers. Coming from the MS1000i, i did not perceive that infamous "Sennheiser Veil" that the HD6XX people are talking about, i'm just loving the mids they produce when paired with the DACport, I was actually considering getting these AND the SRH940s but.... well these are enough to keep me satisfied for a LOOONG time.

Edit: yeah and uhmm, if anybody's wondering, the headband on my HD598s don't creak at all, i don't think there will be any cracking either.

Apparently the 598s are supposed to break the mold for Sennheisers.  I've seen someone here describe them as the Grados of the Sennheiser line.  The only issue I have is they will reveal a low bitrate recording, so I've been forced to re-rip everything.

Dec 12, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #754 of 7,535
I'd offer my loyalty to anyone who would compare the HD598 to either the AD700 orAD900 for gaming. I'm considering the HD598 or upgrading from AD700 to AD900, particularly for gaming (Battlefield 3).                                                                                         

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #755 of 7,535

I find the same thing with headphones with very high resolving like my Stax tend to make poor recording sound more worse than with headphones with lower resolution. I enjoy my HD598 as well.   

Quote:
Apparently the 598s are supposed to break the mold for Sennheisers.  I've seen someone here describe them as the Grados of the Sennheiser line.  The only issue I have is they will reveal a low bitrate recording, so I've been forced to re-rip everything.

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #756 of 7,535
I prefer the 598 to the AD cans for gaming. You get more life but just as good positioning wise. There's just not enough bass in the AD for serious gaming sound. Explosions sound like nothing. Some people like this, but gaming is no fun to me without the booms.

Quote:
I'd offer my loyalty to anyone who would compare the HD598 to either the AD700 orAD900 for gaming. I'm considering the HD598 or upgrading from AD700 to AD900, particularly for gaming (Battlefield 3).                                                                                         

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #757 of 7,535
Quote:

They sound pretty good with the 598s.  I recommend them for gaming. 

Dec 13, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #760 of 7,535
Dec 13, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #761 of 7,535
*Swings thread door open*
Hey guys, I'm really liking my 595's and I was wondering-

*Gets pointed to thread title hanging above the door*

I, uhm... Yeah. I guess I'll just... head on out again.

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #765 of 7,535

Quote:

What site? Also I thought you got this along with Fiio E10 from amazon. I was waiting for your impressions...

Lol yes I did. I bought the 598s and the Fiio E10 together from Amazon.  If u see the HD 598s in the $170 price range, that is a great price; its probably the lowest I've seen it go for.  You will not see it go for anything cheaper for a new pair (I only got it for $138 because they made an error).  Yes i previously owned the 558s and it has about roughly 100 hours of burn in.  After listening to the first song on the 598s, I packed up the 558s and returned those.  A fully burned in 558s and I felt a brand new 598s were just as good.   The comfort alone was enough to justify the $173 price over the $140 of the 558s.  You'd think the design is pretty much the same except for the metal grills and driver enclosure, but the headband is constructed differently and is a better build.  The 598's headband padding is obviously of different material, and the grip is also looser than the 558s (558s were a bit tight, but the 598s are perfect).  Bass is a bit tighter but its definitely the least present of the mids and highs.  A basshead will supremely be disappointed with this headphone, but the bass is quite present.  It has a slightly bit more level of detail and refinement.  It takes a bit to get used to the color, and it didn't look as good as in the pictures at first, but its certainly starting to grow on me.  

I was using Realtek ALC888s previously, and my intital impressions was 'what happened to the bass'?  The built in realtek apparently does have more bass, and I initially thought 'What, did I buy the E10 for nothing'?  Yes the bass seems to be smaller on the E10 compared to my built in audio, but it was a boomy, muddy, and somewhat artificial bass.  I have never owned an audio card, dac, or amp, nothing whatsoever in my life so I really didn't know what to look for.  But after a day and two of a/b listening, I can easily discern the E10 was clearing all of that muddiness from the bass.  Small background notes were more apparent with the E10 and depth of soundstage increased.  It felt as if the E10 lifted a veil off my music as compared to my Realtek.  Yes, I probably will keep the E10 with my brand new HD 598s.  First impressions was 'wow, its really small... smaller than a cigarette pack.'  But it really does look quite sleek.  Its definitely not the first batch; it has that new "Bass -ON or -OFF"  Seems to work perfectly fine; simple plug and play.  No distortion problem when moving the E10 around (some people have this problem).  I'm a guy who really demands perfection in items I purchase and I haven't been disappointed.  I've returned the XB500s, HD428s, Shure 440s, HD558s, and I think this is where its going to end for quite some time.  Keep in mind this is only my first headphone purchase after using apple earbuds my whole life.  I also bought one of those Sennheiser headphone holders for $20.  Its a bit expensive but its well made and helps keep my headphones in great condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back