Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
May 5, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #122 of 7,535
Quote:
Woah! You seem to really, really like these. I'm glad you do! I thought I was the only one that thought these were stellar, saying these are my favorite dynamic headphones.

Okay. Now you're going to have to associate the rest of the Senns with food. But lets keep it to food that most of us have tried...
wink.gif

A real man would have murdered a cow and skinned its tongue already. Though I'm a bit weary of eating the brain in case of mad cow disease.

I already associated the other Sennheisers as older fat men. I guess whatever you can associate with maturity and obesity, that would be the other Senns. Pickles and garlic may be appropriate.

I do like them! The only negative that I can think of is lack of sturdy chrome. Hopefully, the HD 698 will come with plenty of it to spare. That's all it really needs.

May 5, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #124 of 7,535

That's what I've been saying all along. The HD-598 is one headphone that seems to be a near perfect all-arounder for many different genres. It's not terrible for any one genre I think. This makes it a better match for those that keep only ONE headphone. Yes, there are REALLY those types of people out there!
normal_smile%20.gif
Now me, I need 1 headphone for movies/games, 1 for 70% of my genres and then another for the rest! Kind of annoying and I wish I was kidding.

It's funny you mentioned the HD-598 and K702 soundstage. A week ago I was listening to the HD-598 and it popped in my head that it felt like the HD-598's soundstage was LARGER than that of the K702! I did not do any side by side comparisons though because I got sick of over-analyzing my headphones (HD-598 makes me instantly stop me doing that and THAT is a good thing!!).

Well today I compared the soundstages  before reading this and found out that the K702's soundstage is much larger. The thing is though that it varies between amps and can get smaller or larger depending on amps. My Micro amp loves the K702 so that might be the reason. HD-598 is still the 3rd largest soundstage I've heard! At least music never feels distant on the 598 with such a large soundstage. I bet with the E9 they'd be closer in size. I really don't like a super huge soundstage, but that's what makes the 598 and K702 addicting.

As much as I love the K702 it's not as smooth sounding and nautral as the HD-598, but it SHOULD get better after the 100 hour burn in mark (of my K702). Usually when I complain about a track that sounds bad on the K702, that's how the recording is.

This is why for vocal oriented music I prefer the smoother sounding HD-650 and 598. K601 is also not too bad since it sounds much more natural than the K702. Very close to the HD-598, but has a more airy and slightly thinner sound.

BTW I've found that to make the K702 more natural you can find an amp that adds a little more warmth to it's sound and brings forward the mids a little (it's huge soundstage often makes them sound distant on some amps). Maybe the Matrix M-Stage does this? My Micro Amp (that I've been raving about lately, sorry) makes the K702 sing and sounds so good. Quite natural, but I still need to burn it in more! The K702 is very bad on the E9 in comparison and people say it's a perfect match.

I've read some tube amps really make the K702 sound good and can possibly tame the treble a tad. Maybe the new Schiit Valhalla amp? Not sure. Seems 50% are divided on tubes or solid state for the K702.
confused_face_2.gif

Quote:

My biggest complaint about the LCD2 is it's soundstage. The HD598's soundstage is no where near as small as the LCD2. I think the HD598's soundstage rivals the AKG K7XX. AKG K7XX are more detailed, but they just don't sound natural and when something doesn't sound natural, all the detail in the world won't make it sound good. HD598's more balanced sound also makes it more versatile than the Sennheiser HD6XX and AKG KXX headphones. It's good with rock, classical, jazz, pop, you name it. It's bass is a bit lacking, but I'm already floored by how it sounds. I put on my closed headphones when I want some more bass impact to rock out to.

May 5, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #125 of 7,535
May 5, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #126 of 7,535

Quote:

My biggest complaint about the LCD2 is it's soundstage. The HD598's soundstage is no where near as small as the LCD2. I think the HD598's soundstage rivals the AKG K7XX. AKG K7XX are more detailed, but they just don't sound natural and when something doesn't sound natural, all the detail in the world won't make it sound good. HD598's more balanced sound also makes it more versatile than the Sennheiser HD6XX and AKG KXX headphones. It's good with rock, classical, jazz, pop, you name it. It's bass is a bit lacking, but I'm already floored by how it sounds. I put on my closed headphones when I want some more bass impact to rock out to.

I *THINK* the HD598 sounds like a mini-Stax Omega 2. I'll have to hear them side to side eventually, but needless to say, I'm very impressed by them. Words I can characterize the HD598 are excellent soundstage, effortless, and excellent midrange response which are all the same words that I characterize the Stax Omega 2 MK1.

One things for sure though, they sound very similar to my W11R and I think they are the best closed headphones I've ever heard. I also think they have a better balance of mid range frequencies than the HD800.

Can I also add, I've never characterized another dynamic headphone with the word "effortless."

Thanks for those comments--very helpful. Just to define where I'm coming from, I went from the 595 to the 650, both for a couple of years, then just lately to the LCD-2. Until the LCD-2 I couldn't get on with any headphone except Sennheiser. I'd tried all the mid-price phones and disliked them all to various degrees, the AKG K601/702 in particular, finding them thin, over-bright and metallic sounding. All the others I just found thin and over-bright. I've been curious about the 598 since they came out, but reports of them being much brighter than the previous generation had turned me off  as I never found the 555/595 dull in any sense of the word.  

As for the LCD-2, I keep reading about its small soundstage but I can't hear it. To me it has as large a soundstage as anything else I've heard. Maybe I'm just not sensitive to soundstage (I listen only to classical/orchestral). Also I find it hard to believe that a phone with such a large driver angled into the ear canal would have a poor soundstage...but hey, what do I know? I've only been around the hi-fi scene for 50 years. Anyway, I find the LCD-2 sound very nice, but comfort somewhat less so, not to to mention durability, so I'm sort of keeping a lookout for a phone that would give me almost as good a sound as the LCD-2 but with greater comfort and the durability of a mass produced product (yes, I know the 598s have had problems with cracking, but hopefully Sennheiser have fixed that). I'll be reading other comments and reviews with great interest.

May 5, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #129 of 7,535

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A week ago I was listening to the HD-598 and it popped in my head that it felt like the HD-598's soundstage was LARGER than that of the K702! I did not do any side by side comparisons though because I got sick of over-analyzing my headphones (HD-598 makes me instantly stop me doing

As much as I love the K702 it's not as smooth sounding and nautral as the HD-598

This is why for vocal oriented music I prefer the smoother sounding HD-650 and 598.

BTW I've found that to make the K702 more natural you can find an amp that adds a little more warmth to it's sound and brings forward the mids a little

I've read some tube amps really make the K702 sound good and can possibly tame the treble a tad. Maybe the new Schiit Valhalla amp? Not sure. Seems 50% are divided on tubes or solid state for the K702.
confused_face_2.gif

I agree with the above. The HD598 has a near perfect soundstage through my Anedio D1 DAC, but lacking straight through my computer. I suspect, if the K70Xs were plugged through my Anedio D1, I wouldn't be able to comprehend the soundstage.

Quote:
I dunno, when was your last eargasm?

That's quite personal.

Quote:

Thanks for those comments--very helpful. Just to define where I'm coming from, I went from the 595 to the 650, both for a couple of years, then just lately to the LCD-2. Until the LCD-2 I couldn't get on with any headphone except Sennheiser. I'd tried all the mid-price phones and disliked them all to various degrees, the AKG K601/702 in particular, finding them thin, over-bright and metallic sounding. All the others I just found thin and over-bright. I've been curious about the 598 since they came out, but reports of them being much brighter than the previous generation had turned me off  as I never found the 555/595 dull in any sense of the word.  

As for the LCD-2, I keep reading about its small soundstage but I can't hear it. To me it has as large a soundstage as anything else I've heard. Maybe I'm just not sensitive to soundstage (I listen only to classical/orchestral). Also I find it hard to believe that a phone with such a large driver angled into the ear canal would have a poor soundstage...but hey, what do I know? I've only been around the hi-fi scene for 50 years. Anyway, I find the LCD-2 sound very nice, but comfort somewhat less so, not to to mention durability, so I'm sort of keeping a lookout for a phone that would give me almost as good a sound as the LCD-2 but with greater comfort and the durability of a mass produced product (yes, I know the 598s have had problems with cracking, but hopefully Sennheiser have fixed that). I'll be reading other comments and reviews with great interest.

You can't really compare. Ultimately, the LCD2 is higher def. No comparison actually, but it's also 5X the price. If the HD598 was cleaner sounding and extended lower, it would be competing very well with the big boys. For what it is, it is very detailed and the sound is as close to natural as I could find short of the Stax O2 and W11R. But take my words with a grain of salt, I enjoy music even when I'm just making beats in my mind.

Quote:
My 698 has no cracking problem after 2 months of normal use.  I think it's an early production issue.

They wanted to offer me a pre-release review unit. But since they admitted to only changing the material of the HD598 to chrome, I knew I'd like them without trying them. I don't do free advertising.

I find that the highest treble is a bit etched. This is what I did on EQ. I also feel the upper mids aren't as balanced with the mids so I lowered it a bit too along with treble since I'm a bit treble sensitive. This improved imaging and cymbal timbre.

May 5, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #131 of 7,535

Quote:

I find that the highest treble is a bit etched. This is what I did on EQ. I also feel the upper mids aren't as balanced with the mids so I lowered it a bit too along with treble since I'm a bit treble sensitive. This improved imaging and cymbal timbre.

That looks very much like the slope of a decent treble tone control at around 10 O'Clock. Interesting, as that's probably be how I'd be listening to them as well.

May 5, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #133 of 7,535

Quote:
If the HD800 was the king of Sennheiser land, then the HD598 is the romantic, smooth-talking prince of the land. The HD6XX brothers may be a bit more mature but ultimately more unattractive and fat. HD598 will inherit the land when he comes of age at 698 or 798. Time will tell.

You're forgeting the god of the land, the Orpheus.

May 5, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #134 of 7,535

Quote:
That's what I've been saying all along. The HD-598 is one headphone that seems to be a near perfect all-arounder for many different genres. It's not terrible for any one genre I think. This makes it a better match for those that keep only ONE headphone. Yes, there are REALLY those types of people out there!
normal_smile%20.gif
Now me, I need 1 headphone for movies/games, 1 for 70% of my genres and then another for the rest! Kind of annoying and I wish I was kidding.

It's funny you mentioned the HD-598 and K702 soundstage. A week ago I was listening to the HD-598 and it popped in my head that it felt like the HD-598's soundstage was LARGER than that of the K702! I did not do any side by side comparisons though because I got sick of over-analyzing my headphones (HD-598 makes me instantly stop me doing that and THAT is a good thing!!).

Well today I compared the soundstages  before reading this and found out that the K702's soundstage is much larger. The thing is though that it varies between amps and can get smaller or larger depending on amps. My Micro amp loves the K702 so that might be the reason. HD-598 is still the 3rd largest soundstage I've heard! At least music never feels distant on the 598 with such a large soundstage. I bet with the E9 they'd be closer in size. I really don't like a super huge soundstage, but that's what makes the 598 and K702 addicting.

As much as I love the K702 it's not as smooth sounding and nautral as the HD-598, but it SHOULD get better after the 100 hour burn in mark (of my K702). Usually when I complain about a track that sounds bad on the K702, that's how the recording is.

This is why for vocal oriented music I prefer the smoother sounding HD-650 and 598. K601 is also not too bad since it sounds much more natural than the K702. Very close to the HD-598, but has a more airy and slightly thinner sound.

BTW I've found that to make the K702 more natural you can find an amp that adds a little more warmth to it's sound and brings forward the mids a little (it's huge soundstage often makes them sound distant on some amps). Maybe the Matrix M-Stage does this? My Micro Amp (that I've been raving about lately, sorry) makes the K702 sing and sounds so good. Quite natural, but I still need to burn it in more! The K702 is very bad on the E9 in comparison and people say it's a perfect match.

confused_face_2.gif

i stand by my HD 558's with pride
DANG YOU SENNHEISER FOR CHANGING THE GRILLS SO I CANT MOD THEM GRRRRR!!!!!!!!!
angry_face.gif

May 5, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #135 of 7,535

Quote:
I agree with the above. The HD598 has a near perfect soundstage through my Anedio D1 DAC, but lacking straight through my computer. I suspect, if the K70Xs were plugged through my Anedio D1, I wouldn't be able to comprehend the soundstage.

That's quite personal.

You can't really compare. Ultimately, the LCD2 is higher def. No comparison actually, but it's also 5X the price. If the HD598 was cleaner sounding and extended lower, it would be competing very well with the big boys. For what it is, it is very detailed and the sound is as close to natural as I could find short of the Stax O2 and W11R. But take my words with a grain of salt, I enjoy music even when I'm just making beats in my mind.

They wanted to offer me a pre-release review unit. But since they admitted to only changing the material of the HD598 to chrome, I knew I'd like them without trying them. I don't do free advertising.

OMG I WANT ONE OF THOSE THINGS... GIMME

Users who are viewing this thread

Back