Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Nov 20, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #7,276 of 7,535
Thanks, again. I had AKG Q701 and from what I read K701/2 sound very, very similar. I found the Q701 to be rather cold sounding and lacking in bass.

What about Beyerdynamic DT 990? My only concern there is that the treble spike much be a bit too much for my taste. I had DT 880 and found them lacking in bass and treble was nice but over-accentuated.

Or try the $149 Loki to "dial in" what's "missing" with the HD598. I'm going to try it in order to see how well/much my headphones can be tweaked to get what my noggin considers "perfect".

Nov 20, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #7,277 of 7,535
Thanks! I probably should've mentioned my budget is under $200.
I guess you could try listening HD 599's somewhere to see whether or not it's an improvement (and worth it).

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #7,278 of 7,535
Stay with the 598.

or you might enjoy the Koss Pro4s
Are the pro4s similar to 598? Being closed back, I'm concerned they won't have the open and spacious sound of the 598s, and that my ears may get hot.

Or try the $149 Loki to "dial in" what's "missing" with the HD598. I'm going to try it in order to see how well/much my headphones can be tweaked to get what my noggin considers "perfect".
I don't want to spend $150 on what is essentially a 4 band EQ. Would rather spend that money on new cans. But that reminds me - maybe I can start messing with Equalizer APO software again. I've done that in the past, and could never arrive at settings I liked long term. Something always sounds "off" when I mess with EQ and I end up going back to not using any EQ.

I guess you could try listening HD 599's somewhere to see whether or not it's an improvement (and worth it).
HD 599s are something I've considered. My only concern is they'll sound too similar to HD 598, judging from rtings.com FR curves for both. Maybe if they go on sale for Black Friday, I will pull the trigger.

Thanks to all for the suggestions so far.

Nov 20, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #7,279 of 7,535
I own both the 598 and dt990 (premium). The 990 sounds quite different than the 598.
The biggest difference, to my ears, is the fuller, warmer tone of the 598. If you look at Rtings' frequency response graphs; you will see the 598 actually has more upper bass than the 990, as well as, more low mids, and more mids right across the board.
The graphs do correlate to what I hear. The 990 sounds leaner, sharper and colder over all. Voices and instruments are not as warm or full bodied as the 598; although the 990 does have more bass below 90 hz.
The 2 treble spikes, the 990 has, can make hot recordings a bit hard to listen to. Although the treble is not harsh or grainy, it can be a bit sharp.

I don't consider my dt 990's as a replacement for my 598's. They are more of a change from, or a complement to, my 598's.

As was suggested, the hd 599's might be an alternative. They could also be too similar to the 598's. It's hard to say.

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #7,280 of 7,535
Thanks, again. I had AKG Q701 and from what I read K701/2 sound very, very similar. I found the Q701 to be rather cold sounding and lacking in bass.

What about Beyerdynamic DT 990? My only concern there is that the treble spike much be a bit too much for my taste. I had DT 880 and found them lacking in bass and treble was nice but over-accentuated.
DT990's treble spike is nothing compared to the upper midrange mountain (ouch!) coupled with its lower midrange "cave". Still, DT990 has its fans, and plenty of them.

Consider a used Ultrasone HFI2400 or HFI2200 (these are discontinued). Be warned, these, despite being semi-open, have huge bass with treble that stays out of the way but still delivers a little sparkle.
Ultrasones have a character quite different from Sennheiser. You may or may not like it. Also, headband comfort won't be on par with HD5x8, but that is easy to tweak.
These particular Ultrasones are bit more forgiving than 598 when it comes to recording quality, too.

Nov 21, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #7,281 of 7,535
@LazyListener What about the Phillips Fidelio? Never heard them personally but many here like it as an alternative to the HD 598, and seem like they may fit your bill!

:metal::sunglasses:

Nov 21, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #7,283 of 7,535
I own both the 598 and dt990 (premium). The 990 sounds quite different than the 598.
The biggest difference, to my ears, is the fuller, warmer tone of the 598. If you look at Rtings' frequency response graphs; you will see the 598 actually has more upper bass than the 990, as well as, more low mids, and more mids right across the board.
The graphs do correlate to what I hear. The 990 sounds leaner, sharper and colder over all. Voices and instruments are not as warm or full bodied as the 598; although the 990 does have more bass below 90 hz.
The 2 treble spikes, the 990 has, can make hot recordings a bit hard to listen to. Although the treble is not harsh or grainy, it can be a bit sharp.

I don't consider my dt 990's as a replacement for my 598's. They are more of a change from, or a complement to, my 598's.

As was suggested, the hd 599's might be an alternative. They could also be too similar to the 598's. It's hard to say.
Thanks for the very good comparison between DT 990 and HD 598.

I am actually looking for less warmth in the high bass and low mids than the 598s have, as at times, they sound a bit "thick" to me. This is especially evident when listening to TV shows. Some male vocals are just too rich and bassy. So I am looking for a cleaner sound in this frequency range.

What has me concerned about the DT990 that you and MadMax mentioned are the mid and treble spikes. I'm actually looking for smoothness and flatness in this range, maybe a bit of a spike around 10 kHz, but less than what 598 provides. I think I'm gonna stay away from them.

@LazyListener What about the Phillips Fidelio? Never heard them personally but many here like it as an alternative to the HD 598, and seem like they may fit your bill!

:metal::sunglasses:
I actually owned the Fidelio X2. Tonally, it had a slightly harsh treble, only noticeable on some songs, but kind of painful when certain songs hit. Need smoothness in the treble. Also, it was a bit heavy and the clamp was too tight for my noggin. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Nov 21, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #7,284 of 7,535
I am actually looking for less warmth in the high bass and low mids than the 598s have, as at times, they sound a bit "thick" to me. This is especially evident when listening to TV shows. Some male vocals are just too rich and bassy. So I am looking for a cleaner sound in this frequency range.

That could describe the Koss I mentioned but I have never tried any headphone with TV. Now I think I will choose them today for my music.

Nov 22, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #7,285 of 7,535
Thanks for the very good comparison between DT 990 and HD 598.

What has me concerned about the DT990 that you and MadMax mentioned are the mid and treble spikes. I'm actually looking for smoothness and flatness in this range, maybe a bit of a spike around 10 kHz, but less than what 598 provides. I think I'm gonna stay away from them.

I actually owned the Fidelio X2. Tonally, it had a slightly harsh treble, only noticeable on some songs, but kind of painful when certain songs hit. Need smoothness in the treble. Also, it was a bit heavy and the clamp was too tight for my noggin. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I would look into the Philips Fidelio L2, great headphones! Not harsh at all and deep bass, but everything is crystal clear without being harsh. Very good imaging and separation and not muddy at all. Popped into my head as soon as I read what you are looking for.

Nov 23, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #7,286 of 7,535
Has to be at least as comfortable as the 598 and sound good out of a Fiio E10K (not interested in having to upgrade the amp, too).
IMO, you should think about upgrading your source too. I didn't give it proper attention myself until now, with the HTC 10 being until recently my best source, which out of lack of comparison and based on online reviews and compared to my old phones and players I thought is "great" and enough.
But for 4 days now, I have the Fiio X5 3rd gen and every single one of my headphones sound much better now. It's not just a slight improvement, it is a big one in every department: dynamics, resolution, separation, stage and in every frequency range.
I feel sorry that I lost two years listening to music out of worse sources...

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #7,288 of 7,535
Just adding something I noticed, in case anyone is thinking on buying an amp for the 598, I don`t think they pair very well with the Modi2/Magni2, it is that or the old E17 just pairs better. It`s not bad per se but it`s so much fun out of the E17, the vocals pop out in such a way it`s unbelievable! Made me think on upgrading for a more suitable amp for them, don`t get me wrong the Schiit stack is wonderful but is pairs better with my K612s, in fact it`s wonderfull with them! But over the couple of months I noticed my 598 didn`t stay on my head that much so I listened to some vocal music with the E17 and bam! There are the magic mids again!

Edit: Found out that using the Modi as DAC feeding to the E17 is the best way, the sound gets way smoother and the vocals get even better, my magni will take some time to rest while I rediscover my 598s! hehe

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back