Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #6,931 of 7,535
I ran across this article on reference discs that might be of interest to folks. 

http://www.soundstage.com/referencediscs/referencediscs.htm

Am already checking out Mahler's Symphony No. 3 by the New Your Philharmonic; conducted by Leonard B.

Excuse me if this is already a well-know resource.

Thanks for the link! That is new to me.

Feb 4, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #6,932 of 7,535
  Hello people,

I love the HD598 and their soundstage. Unfortunately I need now to get another pair of headphones because starting to work in an open space and the HD598 leak the sound way too much if I want to listen at a decent volume.

I would like some suggestions for closed ear headphones with decent soundstage. I tried my wife's BOSE AE2 that I like, though they have zero soundstage and lack of bass definition and depth. 
What do you suggest I could go for? Please under >500. I loved for example the Denon D7000 but way out of budget :D

For the moment, available in Australia I found the Sennheiser momentum 2.0 (I tried though my brother's 1.0 and the bass is way to brutal and fat for my taste) and the AT ATX-M50x but the reviews are love / hate. 

Thanks!

HD 598 Cs when you find them on sale for 100$ (EUR).
I didn't like them at first, but I found an EQ setting that works for me. But you might like them without eq. Compared to the open 598 they have more low bass, less mid bass, less low mids, more high mids, comparable treble. They have a drier signature, that to my taste needs EQ for vocal warmth. The comfort is excellent, great ear-pads, better headband.
More here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/821889/sennheiser-hd-598-cs-closed-back

LE: I also have the Bose AE2 and the HD 598 Cs are much better for soundstage and bass precision / depth.

LE: Wait... I have these https://www.amazon.com/Bose-SoundTrue-around-ear-wired-headphones/dp/B0117RFZ40 which are better than the original AE2, but still the HD 598 Cs much better for soundstage and bass.

Feb 4, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #6,933 of 7,535
I absolutely love the who, but never listen to them with headphones, the production is just not that good.

My favorite headphone bands are: Yes, Peter Gabriel era Genesis, Tull, Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, Traffic, Rush, early Neil Young etc...

Listen to Roundabout and post back. I want to hear your reaction

Man, that are MY favorites not yours! :))

Feb 4, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #6,934 of 7,535
If you're in the US and have a Costco near you, check and see if they still have Marshall Monitors for 50 bucks. They are very dark out of the box, but with some burn in and a gentle slope from about 2k up with eq, I'm enjoying the hell out of them. Surprisingly decent soundstage for a closed can, and overall nice sound with some eq.

Feb 4, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #6,937 of 7,535
I was listening to Selling England by the Pound with the 598's when I posted yesterday. How awesome does it sound when the music kicks in after "chocolate surprise" in Cinema Show? When I'm showing off new headphones to friends, this is generally the track I play

Yes, that is an excellent album and I listened now to that passage, great sounding, and very good remasters (2008).
I love every Gabriel@Genesis album from Trespass to Lamb on Broadway, but Selling England is the pinnacle!
Among others I also like the Fish@Marillion era a lot, and I don't agree with some opinions that Fish copied Gabriel's vocal style. It is very different and Fish is a great vocalist and poet.
You should check out this thread, great stuff: http://www.head-fi.org/t/211107/prog-rock/750
And try this new album "The Similitude Of A Dream by The Neal Morse Band", in places it sounds like classic Genesis on keyboards riffs and general rhythm and harmonies.

Sorry for the off-topic.

Feb 5, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #6,938 of 7,535
Hey deeru, You know there is a closed 598 now right? 598 Cs. I haven't heard it but if you go back a few pages in this thread there are some impressions.

One closed ear can said to have good soundstage is the NAD VISO HP50. These are at the top of my list for the next closed headphone I buy. Tyll Hertsens says they sound open for a closed can and also have a warmer signature which you might like if you enjoy the 598. http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50#rSVlu3a3eC24iGUd.97

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #6,941 of 7,535
Lazy, I didn't know you had the HP50. Could you indulge us with a comparison to the 598?

I don't have them anymore so I can't provide a more accurate back to back comparison.  But going from mental notes, I'd say tonally, they definitely have more bass, especially low bass, and the bass overall is more even, whereas the 598 has that mid-high bass bump.  Overall, I'd say the HP50 had a more neutral tonality overall, with a slight emphasis in the bass, making them sound a bit warm overall, whereas we know, that the 598 has less emphasis on bass and more emphasis in the treble.  Mids were neither recessed nor accentuated.  Both have similarly rolled off high treble.  The 598 sounds cleaner, clearer and more natural overall (probably due mostly to open design), whereas the HP50 can sound a bit boxy.  Soundstage, by comparison, was noticeably wider and larger on the 598, but the HP50 had very good soundstage for a closed back (best I've heard in a closed back).  The other thing I liked about HP50 is that they were very smooth and never harsh, similar to 598.  Also, the HP50 are very efficient and play very loud with little power.  HP50 and M4U 1 are the loudest, most efficient full size cans I've heard yet.  HP50 were quite comfortable.  The cups are a bit on the small side, but managed to cover my ears completely.  They do get a bit warm after a while, but average in this regard.  The headband really did look goofy on my head.  Very good sounding headphone, though.

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #6,943 of 7,535
Hi guys, i have a Fiio E10K and Sennheiser HD598 SE shipping to me. I was just wondering what people's experiences were with HD598 and Rock, Indie and Hiphop genres? Would it be better if i were to get a Beyerdynamic DT880 instead ( on sale, can return the HD598's) 

Thanks in advance :)

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #6,944 of 7,535
  Hi guys, i have a Fiio E10K and Sennheiser HD598 SE shipping to me. I was just wondering what people's experiences were with HD598 and Rock, Indie and Hiphop genres? Would it be better if i were to get a Beyerdynamic DT880 instead ( on sale, can return the HD598's) 

Thanks in advance :)

I also own the 598 and E10K, and I used to have a DT 880.  In simple terms, the 598 is better suited for music played with real instruments than music created electronically, mostly because the 598 does not produce deep, rumbling low bass.  IMO, it still does a pretty good job with electronic music, better than most open back cans.  The E10K has a bass boost which will help.  By comparison, the DT 880, has less bass impact than 598, but more twinkly and sparkly treble.  Hip hop sounded pretty crappy with the 880 due to poor bass impact.

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #6,945 of 7,535
+1 for bass boost with 598 SE. Not much thump otherwise, which you will definitely notice with Hip Hop. Hopefully your Fiio amp's bass boost will give you what you need. I use EQ to do the same thing. About a 3dB low shelf boost around 60Hz works for me. You still won't get the speed and control in the bass that a closed headphone can provide, but the low end will be there and you'll get a very pleasing and natural presentation with the rest of the spectrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back