Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Oct 20, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #6,633 of 7,535

Maybe because the E10K is average at best?  I don't like the way my 598 sounds with E10K.

E10k presents big bang for the buck - as a small, "portable" amp/DAC to take with your laptop.  As a regular home unit, it's mediocre, and HD598 deserves better, in my opinion.

Oct 21, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #6,636 of 7,535

E10k presents big bang for the buck - as a small, "portable" amp/DAC to take with your laptop.  As a regular home unit, it's mediocre, and HD598 deserves better, in my opinion.

I suppose, but I was never really happy with its sound.  Honestly, my iphone 6 sounds better, just less volume but still plenty for me.  My Dragonfly v1.2 blows the E10K out of the water.  I'm sure there are other small, portable DAC/AMPs under $100 that sound better.  Schiit Fulla??  I can only guess the new Dragonfly Black at under $100, if it's anything like the Dragonfly v.1.2, sounds better.  The 598s don't need much amplification.  More important is the DAC performance/quality.

Oct 21, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #6,637 of 7,535

Love my 598s with my iphone 6 and especially my Dragonfly.  Sure E10K is "enough" for 598 in terms of driving them, but its sound quality is just so-so.  To me, E10K sounds both a little thick overall with slightly sibilant/sharp highs at times.

are there better DAC/AMPs at this price? and C'mon its not worse than iPhone! 
How bad should I feel about this purchase?:/

Oct 21, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #6,638 of 7,535

Don't let anyone make you feel bad.  If you are enjoying your music that is all that matters. It is your equipment, your music, and your ears. I have never had an iPhone but I have heard they have a decent DAC inside.  Fiio makes nice things.  Personally I am using a Fiio E12A (amp only)  from my Xduoo X3 DAP which has a decent DAC in it.  All my headphones sound great with that including my Sennheiser HD598.  The HD598s along with my new Nighthawks, are my most comfortable headphones.  The HD598s will always be appreciated here.  This is the setup I use for relaxing on the sofa n my living room.

Enjoy the music!

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #6,640 of 7,535
  why Sia sounds horrible on my hd598 + e10k ?
just wondering!

about your original question about Sia... I am not familiar with that music but I am curious now ... I did some googling and found this discussion:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140901112634AAhnHVL

Is this what your problem was? 

Oct 21, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #6,641 of 7,535

about your original question about Sia... I am not familiar with that music but I am curious now ... I did some googling and found this discussion:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140901112634AAhnHVL

Is this what your problem was? 

I hear the buzz they're talking about not only on "chandelier" some other tracks have weird hiss/buzz too.
I think something is wrong with the record specially "this is acting" it's too bright and mushed. or maybe hd598 is not made for listening to these type of musics.
about the DAC. before that, I plugged the 598 to my motherboard output. I wanted a budget DAC/AMP and read many good reviews about E10k so I just bought it and SQ improved a lot. I just wanted to know if I had better choices at this price. and how much better they sound cause my ears are not silver/99.9% oxygen free cable sensitive.

Oct 21, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #6,642 of 7,535

If you like the sound, no reason to feel bad.  My experience is MY experience and won't be the same as yours or others'.  We're all just here to share our opinions and experiences, so take my comments for what they are -- only someone's opinion.

The iPhone actually has very good sound for what it is, and yes, in my opinion, it sounds better than the E10K.  Sure the e10k has much more volume, but the iphone wins in terms of overall tonal balance, smoothness, detail, and depth, IMO.

Are there better DAC/AMPs at around $80 USD?  Better sounding?  Probably.  Better sounding with the form factor and features of the e10k?  Not sure.  I haven't heard many in its price range so sorry I can't offer more suggestions.  Maybe others can.  If we're talking a simple inline USB DAC/AMP, then the Dragonfly Black for under $100 will probably sound better (subjective).

Oct 21, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #6,643 of 7,535
  I hear the buzz they're talking about not only on "chandelier" some other tracks have weird hiss/buzz too.
I think something is wrong with the record specially "this is acting" it's too bright and mushed. or maybe hd598 is not made for listening to these type of musics.
about the DAC. before that, I plugged the 598 to my motherboard output. I wanted a budget DAC/AMP and read many good reviews about E10k so I just bought it and SQ improved a lot. I just wanted to know if I had better choices at this price. and how much better they sound cause my ears are not silver/99.9% oxygen free cable sensitive.

Same here.  I was using my 598s with my iphone initially and my laptop's built-in sound.  Then the headphone jack on my laptop broke, so upgraded to the e10k.  e10k sounds better than my laptop's built in sound.  After a couple of weeks listening to e10k, I noticed I kept going back to my iphone when listening to music.  The e10k initially sounded a bit bright for me and lacked fullness/body to the sound.  (Now I think it sounds both a bit thick overall with sharp treble at times.)  So I started looking at others under $150 and they all sounded better to me than e10k.  I ended up with the Dragonfly v1.2 and been satisfied since.

If you're happy with the e10k sound, and don't have the feeling that something doesn't sound quite right or some aspect of the sound could be better, then you should keep what you have and don't even venture down that rabbit hole (unless you're curious and have the money and time to spend on that journey).

Oct 21, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #6,644 of 7,535

If you like the sound, no reason to feel bad.  My experience is MY experience and won't be the same as yours or others'.  We're all just here to share our opinions and experiences, so take my comments for what they are -- only someone's opinion.

The iPhone actually has very good sound for what it is, and yes, in my opinion, it sounds better than the E10K.  Sure the e10k has much more volume, but the iphone wins in terms of overall tonal balance, smoothness, detail, and depth, IMO.

Are there better DAC/AMPs at around $80 USD?  Better sounding?  Probably.  Better sounding with the form factor and features of the e10k?  Not sure.  I haven't heard many in its price range so sorry I can't offer more suggestions.  Maybe others can.  If we're talking a simple inline USB DAC/AMP, then the Dragonfly Black for under $100 will probably sound better (subjective).

I've had it for 3 days. no doubt about the power of E10k. its too much actually. I don't go higher than 2 on volume at low gain. SQ is a lot better than motherboard and BASS button is nice for some genres. I haven't heard Dragonfly's(or any other good DAC) yet so I'm gonna go on with it for now.

Oct 21, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #6,645 of 7,535
will oppo ha2 or xduoo xd05 e
Will be good?

The only equipment I could recommend you to you is long out of production and not easy to come by.  Read around.  you'll have to rely more on google search as headphones are what most people roll, while DACs/headamps not as much and hence comparisons between headamps/DACs are less common.

I suppose, but I was never really happy with its sound.  Honestly, my iphone 6 sounds better, just less volume but still plenty for me.  My Dragonfly v1.2 blows the E10K out of the water.  I'm sure there are other small, portable DAC/AMPs under $100 that sound better.  Schiit Fulla??  I can only guess the new Dragonfly Black at under $100, if it's anything like the Dragonfly v.1.2, sounds better.  The 598s don't need much amplification.  More important is the DAC performance/quality.

DAC matters, yes, HD5x8 are efficient, yes, but it also matters how much the headamp bottlenecks DAC quality.  The AQ Dragonfly started off at $250, to be fair, so it is hardly surprising if you feel it rocks more than the E10k.
I like the Fulla a bit better than the E10k, but the Fulla seems rather fragile in its construction, otherwise I'd love to keep one in my collection.  Its C-Media USB receiver seems to dislike my PC's USB hubs, too.  Oh well.
All of this stuff is nicer with my Schiit Wyrd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back