Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #6,526 of 7,535

So if they waste 99% of their **** products I might have a look at their 5 innovative brands/products, just might.

If 99% of western cable companies stop ripping people off for their magical snake oil I'll look at those too 
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #6,527 of 7,535
  I have to largely agree with Sona. Cables make a miniscule difference compared to the rest of the signal chain and should be priced accordingly. 

I've had cables change the sound more than changing DAC and amp did.  I think a big problem with cables is it's hard to tell what difference a cable might make until you buy it and try it.  That's easy to do with cheaper cables, not so easy with expensive ones.  Maybe the expensive ones actually all sound the same, but I don't know because I'm not buying a bunch of expensive cables to compare them.

Sep 7, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #6,528 of 7,535

I've had cables change the sound more than changing DAC and amp did.  I think a big problem with cables is it's hard to tell what difference a cable might make until you buy it and try it.  That's easy to do with cheaper cables, not so easy with expensive ones.  Maybe the expensive ones actually all sound the same, but I don't know because I'm not buying a bunch of expensive cables to compare them.

I've never experienced that significant a change personally, though I'll keep an open mind and try more options.

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #6,529 of 7,535
for all reviewers here- I was recently told by 2 'newbie' twits on CA(it was their FIRST posts) that my headphones HD 598's and RS 195's were essentially cheap budget items and I should upgrade them rather than go from my Magni to new Schiit headphone amp dac(JUT) or up grade my Gungnir to a Multi bit Gungnir or even consider a DF red or FULLA
What do y'all think??
bobbmd 

Sep 8, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #6,530 of 7,535
  for all reviewers here- I was recently told by 2 'newbie' twits on CA(it was their FIRST posts) that my headphones HD 598's and RS 195's were essentially cheap budget items and I should upgrade them rather than go from my Magni to new Schiit headphone amp dac(JUT) or up grade my Gungnir to a Multi bit Gungnir or even consider a DF red or FULLA
What do y'all think??
bobbmd 

I agree I'd upgrade 598 before upgrading a Magni.  Unless you like the 598 a lot.  A headphone can be considered inferior to another headphone yet still be preferred.

Sep 8, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #6,531 of 7,535
What do y'all think??
bobbmd 

Sorry man, I agree too. I enjoy my 598's with my LG v10, but its not gonna scale all that well. You'd be much better off getting HD650's and the Jot later

Sep 8, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #6,532 of 7,535

http://head-fi.org/a/posting-guidelines

Sep 17, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #6,534 of 7,535
Hi guys, I am looking for an IEM that has similar sound signature to HD598. My player is AK100II, any suggestions?

Hifiman RE-400

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #6,536 of 7,535
But the cable is still not good and may be hfm is working on the V2, like 600s?......not sure, just me sayin.

Yep. Cable is ok but not great. I think we could also throw in the Shozy Zero and the aurisonics 1Plus (discontinued) - as these also sound sort of similar to the 598 to me. But it's hard to compare over ear and in ear in general.

Cheers.

Sep 18, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #6,538 of 7,535
  Any recommendations on good portable amps to drive 598 with a portable device?

I love the HD598 with the  RSA The Predator and with the Cayin C5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back