Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #6,511 of 7,535
Hello everyone, I got a pair of hd 598s a few months ago. Now i would like to get a dac for it (if it makes an appreciable difference). I read through some other threads and I noticed that people recommend the Fiio E10K which seems excellent. But there's a huge impedance spike for the 598s,so keeping that in mind, is the Fiio E10k enough to drive them to their best?

Also, the Fiio has an output impedance around 1 ohm and my phone has output impedance of 2.5 ohms (oneplus one). As I understand it the hd 598s will benefit from as low an impedance as possible. They are plenty loud, but would the sound quality difference be appreciable?

Most amps can drive the HD598 just fine, but a powerful SS desktop amp will lift them to a higher level. 
Be careful with tube amps, as some of them have output impedances higher than the HD598's nominal impedance, which would result in higher gain at the frequencies where the impedance of the HD598 is highest.

Sep 7, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #6,512 of 7,535
I'm looking to replace the cable. Best option I assume would be the https://www.moon-audio.com/blue-dragon-cable-sennheiser-headphones-v3.html

But the price is high for the 3m cord which I want and I need to pay toll taxes.

Second would be the much cost effective cable Oyaide HPC-62HD598 Cable 3.5mm, no taxes. But the cable is only 2,5m I need at least 3m so I would need to combine it with a QED extension cable, don't know if that is going to deteriorat the quality gained by replacing the stock

Sep 7, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #6,516 of 7,535
  I'm looking to replace the cable. Best option I assume would be the https://www.moon-audio.com/blue-dragon-cable-sennheiser-headphones-v3.html

But the price is high for the 3m cord which I want and I need to pay toll taxes.

Second would be the much cost effective cable Oyaide HPC-62HD598 Cable 3.5mm, no taxes. But the cable is only 2,5m I need at least 3m so I would need to combine it with a QED extension cable, don't know if that is going to deteriorat the quality gained by replacing the stock

I have to largely agree with Sona. Cables make a miniscule difference compared to the rest of the signal chain and should be priced accordingly. This is coming from someone who has headphone cables costing over £250 and can't reliably notice a difference with stock/off-the-shelf cables. The best place for a reasonably priced cable upgrade is international eBay sellers: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=sennheiser+cable&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC2.A0.H0.Xsennheiser+cable+HD598.TRS0&_nkw=sennheiser+cable+HD598&_sacat=0

Sep 7, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #6,517 of 7,535
  I have to largely agree with Sona. Cables make a miniscule difference compared to the rest of the signal chain and should be priced accordingly. This is coming from someone who has headphone cables costing over £250 and can't reliably notice a difference with stock/off-the-shelf cables. The best place for a reasonably priced cable upgrade is international eBay sellers: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=sennheiser+cable&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC2.A0.H0.Xsennheiser+cable+HD598.TRS0&_nkw=sennheiser+cable+HD598&_sacat=0

I agree on some point, but wouldn't touch anything from China.

The Moon made cable and Japanese Oyaide seems to be quality built using proper material.

I have experienced huge difference with quality cables when it comes to speakers, cable from sound card to amp, speaker cables, sub cables... So I guess even thought headphones don't posses that dynamic sound space, you might experience some slight more easy listening!

Sep 7, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #6,518 of 7,535
Thats just psychoacoustic its just your brain. how sad people are still buying this .

And China is not autmaticly bad quality!!!

oh yeah most headphones were made in china ! no matter what company.

Sep 7, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #6,519 of 7,535

I agree on some point, but wouldn't touch anything from China.

The Moon made cable and Japanese Oyaide seems to be quality built using proper material.

I have experienced huge difference with quality cables when it comes to speakers, cable from sound card to amp, speaker cables, sub cables... So I guess even thought headphones don't posses that dynamic sound space, you might experience some slight more easy listening!

HD598s are made in China
tongue.gif

My headphone cables from there have all been very high quality so far and some are better designed than others I've bought which cost almost 20 times the price. Speakers and subs are more sensitive to changes due to the far greater power requirements. In my opinion, the money it would cost for a headphone cable or interconnect above £30 would be better spent towards either a DAC, amp (I'm expecting Sona to lampoon me again) or headphone upgrade.

Sep 7, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #6,521 of 7,535
  Made in China by a western company is different with Made in China by some Chinese copy cats or we give you quality for a dollar Chinese companies.

The same was said about Japan and Korea not too long ago. Can't go wrong with an Audio GD or SMSL DAC/amp in my opinion.

Sep 7, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #6,522 of 7,535
  Made in China by a western company is different with Made in China by some Chinese copy cats or we give you quality for a dollar Chinese companies.

True, however Made in China still means a greater chance of production errors. (not because of unskilled labour rather by increased production volume/inundation spread out across multiple sites)

beerchug.gif

Sep 7, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #6,524 of 7,535

Nah, Japan has always earned its respect. Koreans did their hard work put their big brains together and gained respect.

As China is doing currently with HifiMan, Audio GD, SMSL and other innovative companies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back