Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #5,956 of 7,535
I managed to get a pair of HD598s for an absolute steal and have used them extensively for the past week.

For anyone who has been wondering (and wants another opinion to confuse them), here is my comaprison with the HD600:

The HD600 is superior in every single technical detail except for soundstage (this is obviously not surprising). I would have to say that the main technical difference is the amount of distortion in the bass. Bass is not the 598's strong suit, but it is still good for a "budget" open headphone.

Now for the sonic differences. The HD598 is brighter, faster, and just plain more fun. The mids and highs are clear and energetic, while the bass certainly does have the presence to offer you enjoyment in a variety of genres (even rap).

I think both are worth owning as they are fundamentally different headphones. The HD598 is a wonderful headphone and deserves all of the praise and hype that has been heaped onto it. 

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #5,957 of 7,535
Regarding the creaking from the housing of the hd598 that i talked a couple of posts ago.... Tonight i asked a friend who also has a pair if the ones he has does the same thing and the answer was yes.... Still, just to be 100% sure i stopped by a store that had a hd598 and a hd558.... Both also have some creaking noises.... So basically yes it is normal. For those who have creaking free hd598s.... Go F yourselves you lucky bastards! :p

Thanks for the help guys.... :wink:

Mar 11, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #5,960 of 7,535
i have just ordered hd 598's. can anyone confirm if i can use any 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm cable or do i have to buy another cable specifically for it. Is there anyone who has paired hd 598 with fiio e17k, i want to know how these two pair....thanks

Mar 11, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #5,961 of 7,535
Hi veggie... :)

No. Actually i always liked the ivories. Also i bought them from a friend for 70 euros so even if o did not like the color i could not complain.... :)

But do you guys think i should worry...? Everyone else has creak free hd598s?

Sorry to mistake you. It's just this popular trend of bashing the ivories' looks and prefer the black ones that I must have misremembered things. Anyways my black ones are creaking-free :sunglasses: I even work out with them and I've yet to hear or feel any creak.

For those who have creaking free hd598s.... Go F yourselves you lucky bastards! :p

So many people have told me so that I've tried to do it, but everytime I try, I fail miserably. I must be doing something wrong, though...

LOL

Anyway I just wanted to share this pic with you guys.

Don't I look sexy with my 598? XD

Mar 11, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #5,964 of 7,535
  i have just ordered hd 598's. can anyone confirm if i can use any 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm cable or do i have to buy another cable specifically for it. Is there anyone who has paired hd 598 with fiio e17k, i want to know how these two pair....thanks

The 2.5mm would have to have a thin end.  Look at pictures of the cable end, or wait until they arrive, to know what you're dealing with.

Mar 12, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #5,968 of 7,535
Anybody know of any SPC litz upgrade cables (preferably 3.5mm to 3.5mm)? I'm kinda stumped by the fact it has a locking groove which gave birth to another question, is it necessary to have a jack with the same groove or not? I'm currently using a fiio rc-mh 1 with it which has the grooves.

*This is my first ever headphone, normally an IEM kind of guy

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #5,969 of 7,535
Anybody know of any SPC litz upgrade cables (preferably 3.5mm to 3.5mm)? I'm kinda stumped by the fact it has a locking groove which gave birth to another question, is it necessary to have a jack with the same groove or not? I'm currently using a fiio rc-mh 1 with it which has the grooves.

*This is my first ever headphone, normally an IEM kind of guy

The end going into the headphone has to be 2.5mm and it has to be notched like the factory cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back