Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Dec 14, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #5,358 of 7,535
My HD 598 SE arrived some days ago, on December 8th, so I named them, “Lennon”. Consequently, the first thing I did after taking them out of their package was to play the Imagine record on my father’s Kenwood turntable and… Wow! A few seconds into “Crippled Inside” (I skipped the title song, I’m kinda tired of it) I had already understood what people mean when they sing their praises about the 598’s soundstage. Man it is a massive soundstage! I wasn’t listening to two cans around my ears, no; I was listening to eight separate instruments, coming from all around the room. I was able to pinpoint powerful drum kicks from the back, a piano on the front, and so on.

As the record went on, the trend continued. Every song was a new experience, despite this being an album I grew up with. I was not playing an old vinyl, instead I was sitting in the same room where John Lennon, George Harrison et al were performing those songs live. The guitars in “How Do You Sleep” were screechingly piercing – Not a bad thing at all, as that song was intended to hurt. On the other hand, “Oh My Love” nearly made me cry. I swear I could hear John’s breath, as well as his fingers softly hitting the keys on his piano.

Then came the album closer, “Oh Yoko”. I’ve always loved the funky beat that song carries. Once again, John hitting the piano was so lively and real, in my mind I clearly pictured him frantically smiling. I swear to you, I’m not overreacting when I tell you that I was not listening to headphones or even loudspeakers, I was listening to a live band, inside a big, open room where every instrument had plenty of space to breathe.

My father had the same impression. When he put my new Lennons on, he asked me, “Are these things plugged already?” I told him yes, and he replied: “I’m still listening to the speakers, not your headphones”. “No dad –I corrected him–, the speakers are dead quiet, what you’re hearing is the sound from the headphones”. He took the headphones off to make sure I was not lying. He couldn’t believe it!

After sharing the Imagine LP, we changed media and turned the Sony stereo on to play a CD. This time it was my dad’s turn to choose. He picked Dire Straits’ Brothers in Arms. But this is not an album review, so I’ll save you the time of another song by song recount and simply tell you that with the CD we experienced similar results – Instruments were clear and full of detail, and you could identify each and every one while still feeling like one cohesive song and not separate tracks (which, as I understand, is the main criticism towards other big-soundstage cans, such as the HD 800 or AKG’s Q701). Simply put, we got the excellent soundstage we were promised, and that was enough to blow our minds.

However, I must say that once I tested my new cans on digital media, namely my smartphone and computer (LG G4 and a 2011 budget HP Pavilion, respectively), a big chunk of that sweet soundstage was gone. The music still sounded great, but in comparison to the turntable and the CD player it was somewhat thin, even when playing lossless and hi-res files. My phone, I understand, but my PC? Is my soundcard that crappy? Since it’s not a matter of volume (my 598’s still sound pretty loud driven by both phone and PC), I think an amp won’t do much, but I’d rather get myself a good DAC, am I right? Which one would you recommend? After doing some research, right now I’m thinking about the iFi iDSD Nano, the AudioEngine D1, or the Aune T1-MKII (which comes with a tube!). What do you think? Any suggestions will be welcomed, just keep in mind please that I’m on a budget (I’m willing to spend up to USD 200) and that my cans are mid-fi at best, so no use in spending big bucks on a TOTL DAC whose potential will be wasted.

But I digress, back to my HD 598 impressions review.

Regarding the sound signature, I can’t help but think of the “Just listen to your ears” thread that was recently created, coincidentally as a response to the latest reactions to this headphone on this very thread. For some reason, my personal experience out of the box (as I must admit that, with no more than 20 hours in, my cans are not yet burned in… Not that I believe much in burn in anyways) seems not only different to the general opinion, but sometimes it’s even the complete opposite.

First of all, that bass! I was told countless times through the comments here that the 598 is very bass shy. To all those people, I beg to ask you: are you kidding me? Are we listening to the same headphones? Because mine is probably one the bassiest headphones I’ve ever tried. And I say that in a positive way. There is clearly some bass extension (not a heavy boost, just an extension) that I noticed since the very first track I listened to on these ‘phones, and it hasn’t gone since. Yet it is not a muddy, Beats-like boomy bass, but rather a very healthy thump that keeps on pounding with every beat – The kind of bass that on songs that feature upright bass, you can feel those long, fat strings being plucked. It’s so powerful that sometimes I feel like listening to Beyoncé when I’m actually playing Cyndi Lauper; Red Hot Chili Peppers instead of the Beach Boys.

Ok, that last bit was a joke. But that’s how good my Lennons’ bass is.

There’s also the often reported graininess. I’ve read, from time to time, that with the HD 598 one gets some grain, especially in the midrange. Therefore I expected the equivalent to a grainy old photograph on close up; instead, everything is clear as water here even when playing at max volume. Sure, I get some hiss here and there on some very old LP’s, but that’s not the headphones’ fault. On the contrary, the fact that I hear that hiss (which, to be honest, I didn’t get to hear before when playing vinyl with headphones on) stands for the clarity and definition they can achieve. After all, they are named HD for a reason, right?

To be honest, I decided to pull the trigger on the 598 because of its fame for being very musical yet keeping a neutral sound signature. Well, this is not the case with my pair. Lennon is not a flat set. In my opinion, it stands on that thin line that separates neutrality from a bassy signature. Actually, to me its sound seems closer to that of the Fidelio X line (or at least what reviewers associate with it, as I have yet to try it. Although I do intend to get it too later on, anyway) than to what people recognize as the trademark HD 598 sound.

I was a bit concerned about my phone being so different from what people described that I got paranoid about the fake black 598’s craze. I began to fear of the dreaded counterfeit unit (after all, according to my invoice, my set was “sold by and fulfilled by Amazon México”, not by Amazon.com, which is the guaranteed one). Luckily for me, I passed the verification process in Sennheiser’s website at first try, and my fears lasted no longer than a couple of minutes.

Then there is the much despised sibilance. What sibilance? Coming from a pair of Momentums (Gen 1), a set famous for its rolled off highs, to a headphone known by its peaks in the treble regions, on my first listen I was cautious, prepared to face a massive harshness and a violent jump in treble (literally, a high jump!). Instead, I was met with splashy cymbals and sweet flutes – Zero sibilance. Thank Lord! I will give it the benefit of the doubt on this one, though, for I can only hear up to 16 kHz, and overall, I’m not very good at catching high frequencies. Therefore, I highly (pun totally intended) suspect that the reason I’m not getting these infamous trebles is because of my own hearing rather than because of the headphone.

One way or another, I got a sound signature that seems specially tailored for me: good bass, sweet lively mids, and no treble/sibilance issues. Not flat, but balanced. Coupling that with its awesome soundstage, I might have met with the perfect pair of headphones.

I must admit though, that I’m still worried about how compressed it sounds from my PC. I don’t believe much in burn in, but this time I do hope that over time my headphones’ soundstage opens up when fed from my onboard soundcard, or else I’ll have to get an external DAC sooner than intended and, in the meantime, limit my audio nirvana to the few chances I ever get to use my dad’s audio system.

Another minor gripe I have is that, call me a weirdo if you want, but unlike most people, I like the ivory originals better than the black specials, but alas, Amazon USA doesn’t ship any Sennheiser products (other than the original Momentum) to my country, while Amazon Mexico lists the ivory 598 at MXN 4,500 (roughly USD 250) whereas with the special edition, the site did honor the Black Friday price; even after the offer period ended, Amazon.mx has stuck to that price and still asks only MXN 2,200 (about $120) for the SE, while the price for the ivories remains unchanged. So, while in the USA both versions run for a similar price currently, here in Mexico the traditional 598’s cost twice the price of the so-called “special” edition (shouldn’t it be the other way around? I mean, if it is so special, why is it way, way cheaper than the standard one?). Sadly, those sexy, retro-looking HD 598’s remain out of my budget and I was moved to purchase the black version. But then again, had I selected the ivory ones, I would have received a different unit instead of the unique one I got with these quirky nuances I fell in love with. As my girlfriend says, things happen for a reason. Additionally, I already have an ivory Momentum and, on second thought, having two pairs of headphones in the same color scheme might be boring; my headphones don’t match, better than that: they contrast and complement each other. End of rant.

Sorry if I dragged you for too long, but this being my first open headphone, I got really excited, especially when it did live up to my expectations; no, it surpassed them. In addition to all the good things everyone adores in regards to the classic HD 598, this one came with some neat surprises to boot. Like I mentioned earlier, I might have just found the perfect headphone for me. Originally, I intended to complement my HD 598 with the Q701 for analytical listening (actually, since the Q701 sells for a lower price than the 598, my original plan was to get the Q’s first), and finally buy me the much popular Fidelio X2 for when I feel bass hungry or looking for a fun session. Instead, this particular pair of HD 598, the Lennons, already has plenty of tight bass, making the X2 somewhat redundant. And yet, thanks to its incredible and natural soundstaging and instrument separation, it’s still fully capable of providing me with some analytical listening. Further than those two sets I’ve been looking forward, I have no intentions of upgrading beyond high-entry level/mid-fi tier, as, like I said previously, I don’t have great ears, so I’m pretty sure I won’t be able to notice the improvements you’d get from higher-end headphones. Ha! My new cans not only look and sound gorgeous; they also might have already saved me some expenses. Thank you, Sennheiser!

Very good review, and I'm glad we share the same impressions as you mentioned my thread here :)
One thing that I experience different than you describe, is the sound stage. While it is larger than any hp I've listened before, I'd say for me the perception is more like say 6 inches around my head, not like being in the room with the performers. Also I get more width and not a great deal of depth or pinpoint imaging. I'm only using Sansa Clip+ with fiio E06, and PC on-board sound, and hope I'll be experiencing the sound stage you describe with better sources. Which lead me to the second question regarding this:

I really like how the Schiit Modi DAC (which is an external DAC) sounds on my iMac. However that will require a separate amp (I have the Schiit Magni 2U). The basic Modi2 and Magni 2 cost $99 U.S. each.

Great headphones and will sound even smoother with time. Enjoy.

What would be the equivalent of a Schiit Modi & Magni on a portable setup?
Is there any portable DAP (something like FiiO X3 II or the like) that is comparable in audio quality and produce the same sound stage?

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #5,364 of 7,535
I posted some EQ settings last week which were targetted at flattening the frequency response of our HD598.  Probably a bad idea, because it "sucked the life" out of the music.  I spent some time this week trying to make an EQ which added to the lower range, yet stayed pleasant to my ears.

So, I decided to replicate the 'bass boost' switch on my FiiO E10K based off this chart.  The fruits of my work, free of charge for you lovely people.

foobar2000: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3fhrQO4W3XeYU1YR2pGMVRhcUE
Equalizer APO: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3fhrQO4W3XeQldxRFV5Z2s2eFE

I personally find this replicates the E10K bass boost accurately and without clipping.

Having said all this, I bought a complimentary pair of Philips' X2s which will be here in a few days ($199 Amazon.com for a few more hours..).

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #5,365 of 7,535
It's a sad fact of life, there's no cure for ugly. With the ivory set though, I felt a bit less Steve buscemi, a bit more christopher walken. That is to say, I had a something unique about me.
Big mistake selling my ivories to buy the se. Now I'm just another square.

lol Nice!

Yes, there certainly is something special and luxurious about the Burl Woods. Everyone I know who have laid their eyes on my HD598s instantly know there is something special about them. They probably would have not even noticed them if they were black, which IMO look cheap and generic. Like a Honda Civil vs a Cadillac De Ville.

beerchug.gif

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #5,366 of 7,535
Don't worry guys, I gave him a call...

Steve's got no hard feelings about the ivory vs se debate.

Whoa! Shocking how that didn't get even a smirk outta me when read in my email but died laughing when I came here. A+ for visual aid. Can't believe that reference flew over my head.

Anyways, for all of you reverse - racist whitie haters, here's a screenshot of my receipt. Anyone who has equally (or close to it) new 598 and wants 598se, hit me up and we'll swap.

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #5,368 of 7,535
Although I like the ivory more for it's unique and classy looks, I prefer my blacks for practical reasons: I take them out for late evening walks around my neighborhood and I'd be very anxious wearing that luxurious hp outside :)

Dec 15, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #5,369 of 7,535
Very good review, and I'm glad we share the same impressions as you mentioned my thread here :)
One thing that I experience different than you describe, is the sound stage. While it is larger than any hp I've listened before, I'd say for me the perception is more like say 6 inches around my head, not like being in the room with the performers. Also I get more width and not a great deal of depth or pinpoint imaging. I'm only using Sansa Clip+ with fiio E06, and PC on-board sound, and hope I'll be experiencing the sound stage you describe with better sources.

Trust me, with better sources the soundtage improves greatly. Besides, it depends on the recording itself. Note that the two albums I mentioned in my original review are a vinyl record and a CD with a very high dynamic range - To this day, Brothers in Arms is the highest ranged DR CD I own, with tracks no lower than 15 and up to 20 in the opening track. A high DR range lets the sounds breathe and that contributes to the instrument separation. While I still get a big soundstage with more compressed masterings, it doesn't get as open with these old albums.

So that might contribute to why I percieve a bigger soundstage than you. I do believe that on very limited masterings (Red Hot Chili Peppers' Californication, Oasis' Morning Glory), the soundstage I perceive is similar to the one you describe.

Now that I mention that topic, this is the very first time I actually notice any difference between limited and non-limited DR masterings, so there you have it.

But I still get a bigger soundstage when playing my music on the turntanle or CD player than on my PC. Last night I played the Dire Straits album (well, my lossless rip of the same CD) in my computer and indeed, it didn't sound as lively as on the CD player.

Also, sorry for not including a link to your thread ony original post. I did intend to do it, but I had many a trouble posting that long entry (which you can see with the many edits I did on it) from my smartphone nad in the end it seems I forgot to do it. My apologies, honestly.

Dec 15, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #5,370 of 7,535
I'll repost this here as I know some of you guys are interested in how these two headphones stack up.

Thank you to the lovely people at DHL, I am now officially a part of the X2 owners club.  I'm coming from the HD598 and FiiO E10K combo so, bearing that in mind, I'll give some quick first impressions and share some truth nuggets.  
The X2 appears much warmer, engaging, and more fun to listen to.  I do not get the feeling that I'm in the room with the musicians as I do with the HD598.  Vocals are definitely recessed, then again the 598 are known for being very forward.

The X2 has more quantity and quality of bass and sub-bass.  A quick listen to some TV shows and movies gives me the impression the X2 is much better suited for this than the Sennheiser, despite the slightly narrower soundstage.  I also think the X2 is somewhat 2D - left to right and with less depth to the soundstage than the 598.  Although warmer, it's also a detail monster in comparison - I'm hearing sounds on tracks I know quite well which I never heard with the Senns.

I have a feeling that the build quality is about the same between the two, but the X2 has the feel of being a much more premium offering (materials, weight, etc).  I have to say that, even though the X2 is 110g~ heavier, it does not feel it.  I do have a little silver peeking on each cup (more so on the left) but, if this doesn't worsen with time, I won't mind.

I've only had these for two hours, but I am yet to contract any form of ear-ebola.  The pads are quite comfortable - almost to dye for.

If anyone wants some direct comparisons with certain tracks etc, let me know.

These are pretty fantastic headphones.  Amazeballs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back