Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Dec 11, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #5,326 of 7,535
I am looking at getting the 598's but reading a lot about the easy foam mod on the 558's is interesting.

I was wondering if anyone has compared the two (598 against 558 with foam mod) and what are their differences and similarities?

Well, first and foremost there's a reason why the foam is there. It decreasea sibilance and helps tame the bass. From true reflections on the mod, there seems to be more of a loss than a gain to doing the foam mod. I wouldn't do it, it won't sound exactly the same simply because the enclosures are (supposedly) different between the two models.

On top of that, just from speculation but more expensive models usually contain the higher quality yields from production lines. Therefore, by speculation once again, the 558 would contain lower quality drivers than the 598. These would still be in spec, just on the lower end of the spectrum.
Once again, that's just speculation from what 9/10 electronics companies do with their manufactured goods.

I would just get the HD598 if you're looking a smooth, neutral sound. I can't speak for what the 558 sounds like though. As your brain and ears adjust to the 598's signature, it becomes more and more enjoyable.

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #5,327 of 7,535
  Just out of curiosity, I contacted Sennheiser Germany and asked them this question:

"I recently purchased a pair of HD598SE's and really enjoy them.  Could you please explain the difference between the beige HD598 and HD598SE drivers.  Are there any noteworthy differences between these 2 models of the HD598 series besides the colour and cable?"

They in turn forwarded my question to Sennheiser (Canada) Inc. and a representative responded to me as follows:

"Good Afternoon,
  Besides the colour and cable, absolutely nothing.
  Best regards
  (I left out the person's name)
  Coordinator, Service Department, Sennheiser (Canada) Inc."

Interesting to know.

I am not at all surprised by Sennheiser's reply.  I'm leaning to believe that the differences in sound I'm hearing are due to small variations in manufacturing, rather than design changes.  However, sometimes manufacturers do make small design changes within the same model over time, or change suppliers, to minimize costs and don't publicly make this information available.  Especially if the model is loved by many, they would not want to tell the public that they made any changes.  Ride the reputation.  Again, I'm not saying Sennheiser is doing this.  I would never accuse without proof.  I think the differences I'm hearing are due to small manufacturing variations.  Also, my 598SE make a small creeking noise when flexing the headband, that my beige ones never did.  Again, variations in manufacturing, I assume.

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #5,328 of 7,535
Well, first and foremost there's a reason why the foam is there. It decreasea sibilance and helps tame the bass. From true reflections on the mod, there seems to be more of a loss than a gain to doing the foam mod. I wouldn't do it, it won't sound exactly the same simply because the enclosures are (supposedly) different between the two models.

On top of that, just from speculation but more expensive models usually contain the higher quality yields from production lines. Therefore, by speculation once again, the 558 would contain lower quality drivers than the 598. These would still be in spec, just on the lower end of the spectrum.
Once again, that's just speculation from what 9/10 electronics companies do with their manufactured goods.

I would just get the HD598 if you're looking a smooth, neutral sound. I can't speak for what the 558 sounds like though. As your brain and ears adjust to the 598's signature, it becomes more and more enjoyable.

Funny, I've heard multiple times the 598 and the 558 have the exact same drivers. But since the housing is different that's one major reason for the different sound and thus why the foam mod works.

Again, this is only from what I've read.

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #5,330 of 7,535
Jefafa77 I don't think you understood correctly, I never stated they weren't the same drivers, just that many companies do what I explained. Obviously the foam mod works, but is it going to sound like the 598? Probably not, but that's just slight differences between to the two due to the housing.

Knock yourself out, make all the mods you want but it won't be the same of course.. Unless you went balls to the wall and made every little nuance the same. I'm not a fan of modding things like this as there's a specific reason as to why the foam's included, just like how I don't enjoy the sound of the 598's eq'ed flat.. Meh. Just my 2 cents anywho.

Dec 11, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #5,331 of 7,535
I am not at all surprised by Sennheiser's reply.  I'm leaning to believe that the differences in sound I'm hearing are due to small variations in manufacturing, rather than design changes.  However, sometimes manufacturers do make small design changes within the same model over time, or change suppliers, to minimize costs and don't publicly make this information available.  Especially if the model is loved by many, they would not want to tell the public that they made any changes.  Ride the reputation.  Again, I'm not saying Sennheiser is doing this.  I would never accuse without proof.  I think the differences I'm hearing are due to small manufacturing variations.  Also, my 598SE make a small creeking noise when flexing the headband, that my beige ones never did.  Again, variations in manufacturing, I assume.

Mine creek too, its annoying ...

Dec 11, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #5,332 of 7,535
Is it just me or does the leather band attached to the headband come off easily? Like when I take the same amount of pressure stretching the headphone as I am wearing them, I can clearly see a small gap on back of the leather band from the actual head band. The front is fine, there's no gap. But the back im worried about. 

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #5,334 of 7,535
I love my new HD598SE's but they are not playing nice with my glasses. The velour ear pads are rubbing against my metal bows making an unbearable squeaking noise that is driving me insane. I have tried to adjust the headband and how they sit on my head and nothing helps.

Sadly I think they have to go back. I'll be grabbing the Fidue A73 instead.

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #5,336 of 7,535
I love my new HD598SE's but they are not playing nice with my glasses. The velour ear pads are rubbing against my metal bows making an unbearable squeaking noise that is driving me insane. I have tried to adjust the headband and how they sit on my head and nothing helps.

I find this a bit funny, but am I the only one that would never expected headphones and glasses to play well? They occupy the same space on your head, I wouldn't expect it to work out too hot..

It's a little odd though, how it's squeaking. I didn't think velour squeaked, lol!

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #5,337 of 7,535
I find this a bit funny, but am I the only one that would never expected headphones and glasses to play well? They occupy the same space on your head, I wouldn't expect it to work out too hot..

It's a little odd though, how it's squeaking. I didn't think velour squeaked, lol!

Actually I too am facing this issue. I too wear glasses but I don't think glasses has anything to do with it. Because I face this problem without glasses too whenever I move my face a little. I believe this is due to the size of the earmuffs. I don't know if my ears are larger than average but the pads constantly stay in touch with my ears. They are not sitting over my ears, they are literally touching my ears. This is my first pair of over ear cans so I don't know if this is the norm. I believe the squeaking is due to the friction between velour pads and ear. But I am super happy with the sound so I am just ignoring it..

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #5,338 of 7,535
Yeah Arunabha Lahiri these cans don't play nice with bigger ears. Wide ears (out from the head) touch the driver covers and large ears touch the pads creating some discomfort either way (and it's really annoying at that).
That being said, the ear cups are HUGE! I couldn't believe how big they were when I put them on, my ears could actually breathe! Compared to the 598, Sony MDR-7506/V6 are damn near claustrophobic but I've never had professional cans aside from these two.

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #5,339 of 7,535
Yeah Arunabha Lahiri these cans don't play nice with bigger ears. Wide ears (out from the head) touch the driver covers and large ears touch the pads creating some discomfort either way (and it's really annoying at that).
That being said, the ear cups are HUGE! I couldn't believe how big they were when I put them on, my ears could actually breathe! Compared to the 598, Sony MDR-7506/V6 are damn near claustrophobic but I've never had professional cans aside from these two.

Thank God I didn't go with Sony then. Even from the pics I could tell the ear cups were small. Well these are my first over ear headphone and these sound phenomenal. Before this I used klipsch s4i rugged with my ipod. Those were good iem but was having some issue with iems. As of now I am super happy with hd 598se. At 95$ these are a absolute bargain. So next time whenever I buy a headphone I will make sure to audition them. Glad I waited for 2 months not buying the mdr100aap. Maybe those too are awesome cans but at 95$ these are the best anyone can get and I really really like how they sound.

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #5,340 of 7,535

Mine do this with my glasses as well, but once I get them in position I don't notice it much. I've had headphones in the past that did this but eventually stopped squeaking after months of normal use, so I'm thinking these will stop squeaking eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back