Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #5,298 of 7,535
Please read my impressions here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/790630/only-believe-your-own-ears-or-how-i-discovered-the-hd-598se

I'm very VERY happy with my new HD 598SE :)

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #5,299 of 7,535
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/testing-audibility-break-effects#fjHt80eIKzeyCC8o.97
  Has there ever been a blind study done comparing brand new phones with burned-in phones?  Has anyone ever bought 2 pairs of the same headphone on the same day, let one burn in without listening to either, and then had someone blindfold them and listen to both back to back, actually heard a difference, and was consistently able to guess which pair was burned in and which wasn't?

Here is a description of a study of this kind: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/testing-audibility-break-effects#fjHt80eIKzeyCC8o.97.  Make sure to read the disclaimers at that site.

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #5,300 of 7,535
I agree. Even if its mental, so what? Its part of the fun of this hobby

Burn the phones as you listen to music, that way you can enjoy it. I do think phones/speakers sound different after some time using them, not better or worse, and guessing what sound are new or used would be a wild guess. Dude was burning 200 hours in to give a gift to his mother-in-law. My brain is not a computer and I can only expect a new headphone like the HD598 to sound good. You guys do this as if it was a water-to-wine change, if it was such radical change I would call this a deffective product.

Ignore my rant, whatever, just don't dont forget to enjoy music

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #5,302 of 7,535
  http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/testing-audibility-break-effects#fjHt80eIKzeyCC8o.97

Here is a description of a study of this kind: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/testing-audibility-break-effects#fjHt80eIKzeyCC8o.97.  Make sure to read the disclaimers at that site.

Thanks for that.  So it seems there may be something to burn in, or it could have been manufacturing variations between the 2 sets.  I would have liked to have seen him use more samples of the same phones to see if he could rule out manufacturing variations.  I would have also preferred he didn't listen to the 2 sets to get an idea of each one's sound, prior to doing the blind study.  Just go right into it, blind.  I guess it's not that important, but still.

I think my HD 598SE have improved in bass quantity and quality and treble smoothness over the 15 or so hours I've used them, but they still don't sound as good to my ears as the beige 598s I had.

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #5,303 of 7,535
Hey everyone, I am very close buying the 598 and my only issue is that I read everywhere that its very natural and near low for the bass. Its not like I listen only to songs with bass but I have many pop and electro songs and having little bit extra bass is important. No I don't want super bass just little bit of a punch. 

Are there any similar ones to 598 in terms of price, quality, open, over the ear? I don't mind pushing the budget to even 200$.

Thanks.

P.S. I do not own an amp to push the 598 to the max and I am planing when I can to just get an amp nothing expensive but that will be next year.

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #5,304 of 7,535
Sorry man, but I noticed a a pretty solid difference between when I took them out of the box and 75 or so hours.

No harm, no foul...for most of that time they ran undisturbed for just over a week. At least I will know what they REALLY sound like on Christmas morning without waiting or wondering if they've been fully burned in but maybe you're right 75 hours may be enough...who knows.

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #5,306 of 7,535
My comment wasn't aimed at you. I was agreeing that I heard a difference with break in. Bass is still a bit loose at 75 hours. Does it tighten up more with more hours?

Honestly I didn't listen long enough to make any assessment, like maybe 5 mins. I just wanted to enjoy the music before I repacked them. But they sounded really nice.

Dec 9, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #5,308 of 7,535
Sometimes I hate this site. I've had my hd580's for 20 years, got them brought back up to spec by sennheiser last year. After initially really liking these 598se's, I still like my 580's better. They're just more refined in every way, except maybe in the soundstage. Unfortunately this gave me the bug and I went and ordered some 650's lol. Down the rabbit hole again...

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #5,309 of 7,535
  Hey everyone, I am very close buying the 598 and my only issue is that I read everywhere that its very natural and near low for the bass. Its not like I listen only to songs with bass but I have many pop and electro songs and having little bit extra bass is important. No I don't want super bass just little bit of a punch. 

Are there any similar ones to 598 in terms of price, quality, open, over the ear? I don't mind pushing the budget to even 200$.

Thanks.

P.S. I do not own an amp to push the 598 to the max and I am planing when I can to just get an amp nothing expensive but that will be next year.

I think the bass is great on these, listening to some electronic music is very enjoyable, the low punch is there and detailed. Its not like beats where it sounds like a subwoofer is next to your head, but the bass is there and it has good punch to it. I am using a modi 2U DAC and Magni 2 amp, just FYI.

Dec 9, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #5,310 of 7,535
Sometimes I hate this site. I've had my hd580's for 20 years, got them brought back up to spec by sennheiser last year. After initially really liking these 598se's, I still like my 580's better. They're just more refined in every way, except maybe in the soundstage. Unfortunately this gave me the bug and I went and ordered some 650's lol. Down the rabbit hole again...

Hey where did u purchase the HD650 i am looking to pick up a pair myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back