Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Aug 24, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #3,916 of 7,535
"Originally Posted by Filter500 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It comes down to testing vs listening to music.  I can't find music with enough bass (also combined with my eq keep in mind) at even what I consider loud levels that will create any rattles.  If I listened to low frequency sine waves for enjoyment at extremly high volumes, I might feel differently."

I'll name a few songs , here you go 

1) The Roots - You Got Me 
2) Chromeo - Play The Fool 
3) The Best Coast - Dreaming My Life Away
4) Fox Stevenson - All This Time 
5) Ingrid Michaelson - The Way I am 
6) ALO - All Alone 
7) The Roots - Daskat 
8) The Roots - Mellow My Man 
9) The Roots - The Next Movement 
10) Flume - Sleepless Feat. Jezzabell Doran

I can go forever ....

Aug 24, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #3,918 of 7,535
  This should be the ultimate test to really determine if this is only happening with me and MrGoat 

http://onlinetonegenerator.com/

Generate a tone , 60hz ....go up , increase the volume and let us know if the driver starts rattling , it really sounds like the membrane can't keep up 

Holy crap, thank you for that website. The buzzing sound persists however. 

It comes down to testing vs listening to music.  I can't find music with enough bass (also combined with my eq keep in mind) at even what I consider loud levels that will create any rattles.  If I listened to low frequency sine waves for enjoyment at extremly high volumes, I might feel differently.

See thats what I thought, but in that Perpetual Loop song I posted earlier is how I first discovered this issue, that clean bass line was just making a buzzing sound that shouldn't be there. Which is how I ended up doing these tone tests anyways. 

*edit* For instance, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I_005cc4vk, that note it hits at 1:07 and holds for a few seconds just sends the driver in buzz mode.

Aug 24, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #3,919 of 7,535

Holy crap, thank you for that website. The buzzing sound persists however. 
See thats what I thought, but in that Perpetual Loop song I posted earlier is how I first discovered this issue, that clean bass line was just making a buzzing sound that shouldn't be there. Which is how I ended up doing these tone tests anyways. 

*edit* For instance, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I_005cc4vk, that note it hits at 1:07 and holds for a few seconds just sends the driver in buzz mode.

I listened to that with no issues, and I also went through half of MrTechAgent's list on YouTube with no issues.  My guess is there is a hair or something in the drivers...

I should also add that I don't consider that bass line clean.

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #3,920 of 7,535
don't know what they are talking about unless "BURN-IN" increased their excursion factor , there is a cure though , that cure is "Output Impedance" , I have heard significant improvements from a amp with a OI of 10ohms to one with 0.1 , it will not eliminate it but surely decrease it

I should mention that my dac has a supposed impedance of 30 ohms at the headphone jack according to the manufacturer's tech support.

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #3,921 of 7,535

I listened to that with no issues, and I also went through half of MrTechAgent's list on YouTube with no issues.  My guess is there is a hair or something in the drivers...

I should also add that I don't consider that bass line clean.

Yeah I don't either I guess, but it is a similar sound to a sine wave. Regardless, I gots buzzin' in my cans. Very disappointing, I just can't see myself getting a 3rd replacement pair. I think I'll have to step away from the 5xx series as much as I like it. Idk, I might end up keeping them still.

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #3,923 of 7,535
  Interesting. 
Well good then , I can't think of a day when I'll go +14db on the 598 , I am sure the driver will die 

biggrin.gif
  It actually doesn't sound excessive to my ears.  I did notice (and someone else made a thread about this) that the 558 becomes a lot bassier when amped.  I tried it with my Yamaha RX-797 receiver, and 558 with the receiver set to flat eq sounded like when I have the 558 unamped with the dac and the parametric eq.  With the EQ engaged on the Yamaha, it was too much.  The bassy eq with the 14db spike still isn't as bassy as a pair of older V-Moda bass freq earphones I have.  Those are painful. Also, the 558 had a ton more bass than my M50X through the Yamaha.  I think the 5xx series are picky about the source.

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #3,924 of 7,535

biggrin.gif
  It actually doesn't sound excessive to my ears.  I did notice (and someone else made a thread about this) that the 558 becomes a lot bassier when amped.  I tried it with my Yamaha RX-797 receiver, and 558 with the receiver set to flat eq sounded like when I have the 558 unamped with the dac and the parametric eq.  With the EQ engaged on the Yamaha, it was too much.  The bassy eq with the 14db spike still isn't as bassy as a pair of older V-Moda bass freq earphones I have.  Those are painful. Also, the 558 had a ton more bass than my M50X through the Yamaha.  I think the 5xx series are picky about the source.

haha yes , I remember the time when I was new to HiFi ,I used to EQ my 650s excessively , to give you an example of the crazy stuff I did ....I rolled off 2K by 10db , bumped the bass from 50-150 by 8db and bumped the highs by 5db , glad those days are history now :p

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #3,925 of 7,535
Hey guys,

I've been absolutely loving my HD 598s. The only thing I'd like is a little more bass. How well do these respond to equalization? What frequencies for how many dbs should I fiddle with to kick the bass up a notch?

Sorry if that's a broad question but I'm new to actually equalizing.

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #3,928 of 7,535
First sorry if this has been answered in here.  But I went thru 30 pages of this thread and didn't find exactly what I'm looking for, and not looking forward to going thru the other 200+ pages. :)

Thinking about going hybrid tube amp for my HD 598's.  My thought is to run a TOSLink cable from my PC (Realtek sound card) to a DAC (I currently have a FiiO D3) and then RCA cables to the amp.  Saw a couple of threads on use of the Schiit amps with these but wondering if there are other options that anyone is finding works good with these that are a bit less expensive (say around $200 US).

Thanks...

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #3,930 of 7,535
  First sorry if this has been answered in here.  But I went thru 30 pages of this thread and didn't find exactly what I'm looking for, and not looking forward to going thru the other 200+ pages. :)

Thinking about going hybrid tube amp for my HD 598's.  My thought is to run a TOSLink cable from my PC (Realtek sound card) to a DAC (I currently have a FiiO D3) and then RCA cables to the amp.  Saw a couple of threads on use of the Schiit amps with these but wondering if there are other options that anyone is finding works good with these that are a bit less expensive (say around $200 US).

Thanks...

You definitely need a DAC too. Try to find a used O2+ODAC (combined amp and dac) for around $250 and you'll never looked back. THe HD598, like virtually any other cans in its price range, shine with a proper AND and dac. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back