Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #3,406 of 7,535
  I see, I asked though cause I felt that the difference of ripping material off the HD558 made much more difference to the soundstage and presentation.

Do you have 598's you're willing to try it on? ;p

It might be the music I listen to. Maybe if I had tried it with symphony hall type music.. differences in the width/depth might've been easier to notice. 

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #3,407 of 7,535
Hi everyone, 

I got a pair of HD598s a bit long ago, but I find myself not using them too much, mainly because they are not comfortable on my head. They give pressure to the top of my head, which is so unbearable that I have to take the headphones off every 30 minutes to ease the pain. To add on, I also own a pair of Ultrasone DJ1Pro, and the same problem goes with those. Does anyone have a similar experience? Is there any resolution to this weird problem? Or should I get headphones with designs that do not put pressure on the top of the head, e.g. AD-series from Audio-Technica? Thank you:)

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #3,408 of 7,535
Hey nightdance,

When I first got the HD 598's, the clamping force was a bit much but it definitely improved over time. If you are still having problems with the comfort of the 598's, you can very cautiously stretch them over something or by this mod (http://www.head-fi.org/t/438898/hd650-hd600-hd580-comfortable-uncomfortable-or-fractured) or buy a softer headband. 

If the problem still persists, there's nothing else to do but buy a more comfortable headphone.

Best of luck!
Garraty

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #3,409 of 7,535
Hi everyone, 

I got a pair of HD598s a bit long ago, but I find myself not using them too much, mainly because they are not comfortable on my head. They give pressure to the top of my head, which is so unbearable that I have to take the headphones off every 30 minutes to ease the pain. To add on, I also own a pair of Ultrasone DJ1Pro, and the same problem goes with those. Does anyone have a similar experience? Is there any resolution to this weird problem? Or should I get headphones with designs that do not put pressure on the top of the head, e.g. AD-series from Audio-Technica? Thank you:)
Maybe the only answer is surgery..

Feb 18, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #3,413 of 7,535
Feb 19, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #3,415 of 7,535
My guess from what I've read is that the K612 might be the best choice for you. I haven't heard them, but they get unanimous praise and appear to be good for everything. I love my HD598s for a lot of things, especially the comfort and soundstage for films and gaming, but they are a little slow for some harder rock genres. I don't think they do badly with these genres and they still sound very open and detailed, but they lack some excitement and, as others have said, low end weight. They sound great, just a bit well mannered, if that helps!

Having said that, they do look and feel luxurious and are always a pleasure to wear. No headphone is perfect and you should weigh up the pros and cons. See if you can try them out somewhere. Good luck, I'm sure you'd be happy with any of those choices!

I agree about the soundstage being wide, unique for this headphone, and also the sound being unexciting, especially compared to the Yamaha hph-200.  I replaced mine with the Philips hp890 open backs which I have now replaced with the Philips uptown, great soundstage and bass!

Feb 19, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #3,416 of 7,535
  Hi everyone, 

Well Ultrasone's are known to have heavy clamping force but I have never heard anyone say that about the HD598s and I have a huge head.  Do you have really thick eye glass frames that the headphone may be pressing against?  Play with the headband adjustments a bit (if you haven't already) and see if that's help but that's odd.

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #3,417 of 7,535
  Well Ultrasone's are known to have heavy clamping force but I have never heard anyone say that about the HD598s and I have a huge head.  Do you have really thick eye glass frames that the headphone may be pressing against?  Play with the headband adjustments a bit (if you haven't already) and see if that's help but that's odd.

Hmmm, pressure on top of his head? Maybe he's got to pull out the earcups more like you suggested. Or else, well you've seen how it worked out for Beetlejuice.

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #3,420 of 7,535
A few pages back people are discussing driving these. I just picked up a fiio e18. That shows a headphone impedance range of 16-150 ohms. I would imagine that this could comfortably drive the HD 598 right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back