Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #3,109 of 7,535
Thank, you but i'll pass, with the form of my head i'm pretty sure only a few tiny points would be in contact with my skull (i've had a similar thing on some headphones, painful experience).

EDIT: I've noticed that the faux leather headpad is in fact nearly airtight. I've made a few holes with a toothpick (had a plastic one lying around, too lazy to get a new one :D) and it's a lot less stiff now.

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #3,110 of 7,535
Does anyone know or can speculate how the Audio-GD NFB 5 would sound with the HD600 or HD598?

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #3,111 of 7,535
Guys a little help here.....

Right now i have a pair of over ear momentums, a pair of cal!'s and a pair of hd25 1 II's.....

I am still deciding what to do with the momentums because the seal drives me crazy (but the sound is so good....)....

Anyway.... as you guys can see i basically only have closed cans and i am now going for a pair of open ones for home use...

First of all i have no amps..... They will be directly driven from a 4th gen ipod touch and a first gen nexus 7.... for now at least....

Right now i have 2 good deals pending.....

A pair of mint conditioned hd598's for 120 euros and a pair of hd 595's also in very good condition for 60 euros.

Wich one would be the better deal?

Are the hd598's and the hd595's very different in terms of sound quality?

In terms of build quality they look the same besides the color.....

I listen to mostly to pop rock and edm..... i already now that the hd598's are a bit lean on the bass and will not perform edm very well but that is already covered by my hd25's.... :wink: This pair will be mostly to comfortably enjoy some indie and soft rock and pop.....

Hope you guys can point me in the right direction.....

Cheers....

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #3,112 of 7,535
My advice, go with the 598, they truly sing.

Dec 19, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #3,114 of 7,535

Right now i have a pair of over ear momentums, a pair of cal!'s and a pair of hd25 1 II's.....

I am still deciding what to do with the momentums because the seal drives me crazy (but the sound is so good....)....

Anyway.... as you guys can see i basically only have closed cans and i am now going for a pair of open ones for home use...

First of all i have no amps..... They will be directly driven from a 4th gen ipod touch and a first gen nexus 7.... for now at least....

A pair of mint conditioned hd598's for 120 euros and a pair of hd 595's also in very good condition for 60 euros.

I listen to mostly to pop rock and edm..... i already now that the hd598's are a bit lean on the bass and will not perform edm very well but that is already covered by my hd25's.... :wink: This pair will be mostly to comfortably enjoy some indie and soft rock and pop.....

Cheers....

Haven't heard the HD595, but €120 is a pretty good deal.

Also, to reply to your post in another thread, I don't think the Momentum trade for the M-80 + cash is worth it. The V-Modas were not comfortable for me, and if you like the sound of the Momentum, you'll probably find the midrange to sound a bit unnatural. The M-80 was probably one of my more disappointing purchases this year. Nice punchy bass, though...

Dec 19, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #3,115 of 7,535
598s will not be an upgrade from the 25-1 ii's

25s are better in vocals, 598s have this awkward presentation due to their soundstage. It is not a great headphone for enjoying vocals in pop songs. 

i think you should stick with 25s for now as they do everything as good or better than 598s

and do a true upgrade to something else.

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #3,116 of 7,535

Cheers....

Most people here will say go with HD598 (since this is HD598 thread)

Here is what head-fi headphone buying guide said about the two.

The HD 598 is like an HD 558 that went to sonic finishing school--simply put, it's more refined. Most noticeable is that the HD 598's presentation is slightly more treble-tilted, and its bass more controlled. The HD 598's more polished sound signature is, to my ears, higher-end, and earns the difference in price between it and its mid-line sibling.

I also love the HD 598's entirely unique color scheme--no other headphone I'm aware of looks like it, with its cream-colored leather-like chassis, and dark brown faux burl wood trim and velour ear cushions.

Note that author is making those statement with price list
HD 595 - $190
HD 598 - $250

Yes it is same $60 difference, but for the author $60 is only 1/3 of the HD 595 price.
For you $60 is 100% of the HD 595 price.
I would go with HD 595 and save the money for something else (another headset? Amp? etc.)

For me, HD 598 > Momemtum > HD 595
I know it is weird to compare open headphone to closed one but that's just me.
I also just briefly tested HD 595 at a local store.

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #3,117 of 7,535

Cheers....

The momentums are a darker, bassier sound which will more closely match the 595 verses the 598. The CAL and HD 25 are also bassy headphones and I think the 598 will not please you because of its lighter, airier sound quality with an open-sounding stage and thinner, less meaty body.

I think you should get the 595.

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #3,118 of 7,535
Thank you very much first of all for all your replys guys...

I just returned home and a hiur ago i had the chance to try the momentums, the hd598, the hd558's and my hd25's.

First of all please keep in mind that this test was made directly from my ipod touch and i have to admit......

The momentums despite some confort and seal issues are my best option. The others missed body and the truth is that without an amp the others (open) dont stand a chance.

The 558's and the 598's... to be honest the hd558 did not sounded much bassier than the hd598. to my ears the bass level was the same and the hd598 won slightly because it was more controled.

Also the 598's indeed have better mids and better highs. They seemed more refined while the hd558's sounded a bit more veiled..... 

But when i plugged the momentums.... damn.... even the hd598's seemed to sound bad.....

CALM DOWN!!!!!!!!! I am not in any way saying that the hd598's are worst than the momentums because i saw the potential and i believe that with a better source they would much better, but straight from my ipod the momentums completely own them, even the hd25's.

I have to face it and live with the issues.... i paid 160 euros for my momentums, despite the confort and seal issues they sound amazing and to be honest i think it is impossible for me to get such a good and vesatile headphone for 160 euros....

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #3,119 of 7,535
The momentums are a darker, bassier sound which will more closely match the 595 verses the 598. The CAL and HD 25 are also bassy headphones and I think the 598 will not please you because of its lighter, airier sound quality with an open-sounding stage and thinner, less meaty body.

I think you should get the 595.

The hd595 is bassier than the hd558 and hd598? In terms of soundstage, refinement, resolution and imaging are they even close to the hd598s?

As i stated on the last post i dont have enough power to frive open headphones because they simply sound bad straight from an ipod. Butfor 60 euros..... this pair of hd595's plus a cheap amp have the potential to become a great set?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back