Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #961 of 7,535

All I know from experience is that going from fabric to pleather generally creates a better seal at the ear so bass seems a bit tighter and the it doesn't bleed out into the pads before it gets to your ear( slightly less "laid-back") and doing the opposite and using fabric generally makes things a bit more laid-back.
I don't own this model though so maybe the baffles aren't sealed up and have venting that helps tune the overall sound with those particular stock pads in mind. < Most likely those fellas have quite the R&D dept.
Who knows.
I just curious I like trying stuff and figured it was worth asking about as a potential cheap solution, and to see who's tried it already. Thats interesting to hear those results.
 I just looked into their build specs a bit more and most likely the pressure change (?) would be screwing with their tuning/design.

Jeeze i sure want to throw an ortho driver into one of these.

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #964 of 7,535

Quote:
also a question. i bought these for their great soundstaging. doesnt that mean they should place things incredibly up down and side to side?

Yeah, are you not hearing it? What I hear (on good recordings) is that instruments span almost 180 degrees in front of me, I'm close to the stage but a few rows back, and musicians are clearly placed in front of one another with space between (like vocals in front of drums).

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #965 of 7,535

Quote:
Hey guys!
Just wondering if this setup could be possible
E10 --> E9---> Cmoy---> HD598
or
E10 ---> Cmoy---> E9---> HD598

Would these be beneficial in any way?

Forget the Cmoy altogether. The Cmoy does the same function as the E9. The E10 should go first (from usb?) because it has a dac function. The E10 should then output analog to the E9 because it has the superior headphone amp. Can anyone confirm that the amp in the E10 can be passed?

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #966 of 7,535

Quote:
Forget the Cmoy altogether. The Cmoy does the same function as the E9. The E10 should go first (from usb?) because it has a dac function. The E10 should then output analog to the E9 because it has the superior headphone amp. Can anyone confirm that the amp in the E10 can be passed?

As long as you use the Line out on the E10 the Amp is not used. Only the Dac section is. Well can't the E9 or Cmoy act as a Pre-amp?

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #967 of 7,535

Quote:
As long as you use the Line out on the E10 the Amp is not used. Only the Dac section is. Well can't the E9 or Cmoy act as a Pre-amp?

It could, but from what I've gathered about amps, sending the signal through a lower quality amp simply degrades quality. Unless the way the Cmoy tampers the sound is desirable, I think it would be best to avoid it altogether. Please correct me if I'm wrong, this is just what I've learned from lurking here a little while.

In the case that the Cmoy is used I guess it would go after the E10, allowing the Cmoy to be a pre-amp for the E9.

edit: Sorry, your original question was "is it possible." So yes, it certainly is possible.

Jan 8, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #968 of 7,535

I wouldn't think so.  Besides, there have been many quality Cmoys, such as the JDS Labs Cmoy.

Quote:
It could, but from what I've gathered about amps, sending the signal through a lower quality amp simply degrades quality. Unless the way the Cmoy tampers the sound is desirable, I think it would be best to avoid it altogether. Please correct me if I'm wrong, this is just what I've learned from lurking here a little while.

In the case that the Cmoy is used I guess it would go after the E10, allowing the Cmoy to be a pre-amp for the E9.

edit: Sorry, your original question was "is it possible." So yes, it certainly is possible.

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #969 of 7,535
Guys can somebody offer me an opinion on how the HE-400 will differ from the 598s, I love my 598s and I listen to everything from Iron Maiden to Aretha Franklin on them, but I really want a quality pair of cans as an alternate. What do you guys use alongside/ as a substitute for the 598s?

Jan 9, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #972 of 7,535

Quote:
Guys can somebody offer me an opinion on how the HE-400 will differ from the 598s, I love my 598s and I listen to everything from Iron Maiden to Aretha Franklin on them, but I really want a quality pair of cans as an alternate. What do you guys use alongside/ as a substitute for the 598s?

Nobody can offer an opinion on the HE-400 because nobody owns a pair yet.

They do appear interesting though and I'm sorely tempted to pre-order a pair...

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #974 of 7,535

Quote:
i hear that. ive had no problem with rage. you can tell their albums were mastered well. the kick drum sounds very natural. i did have issues with some of chili peppers albums, foo fighters, nirvana(super quiet drums) espeically their live applications. blues traveler, blind melon, oasis, the wallflowers etc. the drums are so quiet espeically the kick drum. and those arent even "fast" bands.

311, saosin, third eye blind, rise against, train, puddle of mud, stone temple pilots, fuel, trapt, linkin park, three days grace, flyleaf, paramore, incubus, sublime, tool, perfect circle, yellowcard, staind, pink floyd etc. all sound great. as soon as i start getting into things like system of a down, chevelle, deftones, alice in chains, atreyu,  breaking benjamin, sevendust etc., where lots is going on, screaming/singing is going on, blaring guitars, and fast kicks, i start to loose the kicks. and im not even talking about some of the really fast stuff i listen to like all that remains, as i lay dying, war of ages, trivium, parkway drive, august burns red, killswitch etc. and LOTS is going on its the same case.

its weird, when someones whispers its mighty loud, but when someones playing the drums softly, its mighty quiet. i dont mind that its quiet, i just want to be able to distinguish it easily, and that doesnt have to do with the decible level, rather seperation, and these things are supposed to have great seperation? maybe i just need to let them burn-in longer? maybe it is just the recording? maybe i just have to sell them and get a different can
frown.gif

also a question. i bought these for their great soundstaging. doesnt that mean they should place things incredibly up down and side to side?

edit: i went ahead and bought a pair of k240 as well just to compare. -_-

I don't lose the kicks with Trivium/Killswitch/etc (I don't consider these very fast to be honest). They're just not that strong. Stuff like Mastodon sounds pretty good too. The drums aren't that "forward" but they're there alright. Soundstage, in my experience, depends hugely on the recording and mastering. I get a really 3D effect with RATM's first album and a lot of classical/choral stuff and get very little with the majority of the metal I listen to. I could be wrong though. Use "Take the Power Back" to see if you get a good soundstage. It's a pretty good song for positioning of instruments (in my opinion). 

I think the individual recording will make a big difference. How it's mastered etc. Some recordings just won't suit some headphones. 

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #975 of 7,535

Quote:
I don't lose the kicks with Trivium/Killswitch/etc (I don't consider these very fast to be honest). They're just not that strong. Stuff like Mastodon sounds pretty good too. The drums aren't that "forward" but they're there alright. Soundstage, in my experience, depends hugely on the recording and mastering. I get a really 3D effect with RATM's first album and a lot of classical/choral stuff and get very little with the majority of the metal I listen to. I could be wrong though. Use "Take the Power Back" to see if you get a good soundstage. It's a pretty good song for positioning of instruments (in my opinion). 

I think the individual recording will make a big difference. How it's mastered etc. Some recordings just won't suit some headphones. 

I think this is very true.

This is one of my little pet peeves (I have a few!). I cringe whenever someone says that headphone X has a better soundstage than headphone Y. Really? Headphones, by design, place sounds inside your skull - the width of the soundstage is the distance between your ears. Open vs. closed also makes little to no difference - unless the sound is emitting out the back of the cup, bouncing off a wall, and coming back through to your ear. The illusion of soundstage with open back headphones I think (I don't know for sure) is the brain simply having a perception of the acoustics of the room you're in and "fooling" itself by adding that perception to the sound coming from the headphones. Any ambience you actually hear is simply delays/reflections (real or artificial) that are in the recording. I think the frequency response, as opposed to the design, of the headphone more dramatically influences how prominently those sounds are heard, thus making one headphone sound "more spacious" than another.

Reflections and delays are what make live music sound "real" and why speakers able to create the illusion of soundstage and depth. But headphones don't have walls, floors, and ceilings to reflect and scatter sound like. Headphones also don't have air and distance for sound to propogate. I've read about people stuffing the pads of their headphones to move the drivers further away from their ears. How is an extra 2mm of distance going to significantly change anything?

Some recordings have natural ambience thanks to the hall/room they were recorded in and the mics ability to capture it. Classical music and live recordings can be (but aren't always) an example of this. Studio recordings have little to no natural ambience (unless the artist/engineer want it and use a studio that has reflections in the room). More typically, engineers simply use the mixing board to add artificial reverb and "place" musicians where they want. 

The only reason why we are able to listen to music with headphones and enjoy it is because the brain is able to "fill in the gaps" between the reality of what we are hearing with the knowledge of what it "should" sound like. It's also why I only listen to headphones when it's impractical for me to listen with speakers. Now binaural recordings...that's a different story. Again, not a feature of the headphone, but in theory it's the most accurate way to get soundstage, imaging, ambience etc. to your ears the way the microphones "heard" it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back