Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
May 11, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #6,272 of 7,535
The fiio Q1 and the HD 598SE does not have good synergy. The soundstage feels a bit cramped and the bass is bloated (Yes there is actually an increase in bass) when you are in high gain + use the hardware bass boost. Maybe it's the Dac/Amp chip.

On the other hand the Behringer UCA202 gives it a bit wider and cleaner soundstage while keeping the bass as anemic as possible. 

May 11, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #6,274 of 7,535
As an owner of both the HD598 and the HD700, here is what I have to say about the two headphones:

The HD598 and the HD700 are similar in that they both have a very open and large soundstage. Both also are most definitely not dark headphones.

Improvements:
- Bass on the HD700 is noticeably better. Hits harder (but not overwhelmingly so), goes deeper, and is more textured on the HD700.
- Soundstage is even better on the HD700. Slightly wider, but noticeably deeper. Imaging is also noticeably better on the HD700, which is quite impressive since the HD598 already does a great job at that. Layering is also much better on the HD700, as it's a lot easier to tell whether things are further or closer to you than on the HD598.
- Notes are more detailed and textured on the HD700.
- While the HD598 is pretty comfortable, in my opinion the HD700 is even more comfortable. The HD700 pretty much disappears from your head shortly after you put it on.

Weaknesses of the HD700:
- Depending on the music you listen to (genre and how well produced it is), the treble on the HD700 can be fatiguing. The HD598 is smooth enough for this to pretty much never happen unless you get an extremely bright amp/DAC or you purposefully mess with EQ, while on the HD700 this isn't the case.
- HD598 is easier to drive, as it sounds good almost out of anything. The HD700 needs better quality gear to truly shine, though it can still sound decent out of something like the FiiO E10K.

Hope that helps!

I agree with those comparisons, that was excellent. I also noticed that my 598 has a lot of distortion when I turn up the volume on my stereo receiver. The driver is apparently not as high fidelity as something like the HD 700.

Plugged into a MacBook or a tablet or phone, no distortion. Just high-powered receivers.

May 11, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #6,275 of 7,535
I agree with those comparisons, that was excellent. I also noticed that my 598 has a lot of distortion when I turn up the volume on my stereo receiver. The driver is apparently not as high fidelity as something like the HD 700.

Plugged into a MacBook or a tablet or phone, no distortion. Just high-powered receivers.

I have found that the volume on my HD598 SEs becomes unbearably loud before I hear any distortion. This is listening to 24/96 through fubar2k > xonar dx optical > Modi 2 uber > Vali 2 (6922 tube).

May 11, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #6,276 of 7,535
Distortion here too. When amped with FiiO E10k with bass setting on and or with high gain on. Not so on all my other headphones.. Ath M50x, Ath M40fs, Phillips SHP9500, Superlux EVO HD 681, Bose AE2. All amped with FiiO e10k. If I don't apply bass boost and or too much volume it's fine but still bugs me. I am in shock that the hd 598 do this. Wasn't expecting that at all. But other than making sure that my settings are not too strong I really like this headphone. But I am still in utter shock that it would make clipping sound when too loud. Not like I would actually listen at that volume but just did not expect them to distort with comparison to all my other cans that don't.

May 11, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #6,277 of 7,535
Distortion here too. When amped with FiiO E10k with bass setting on and or with high gain on. Not so on all my other headphones.. Ath M50x, Ath M40fs, Phillips SHP9500, Superlux EVO HD 681, Bose AE2. All amped with FiiO e10k. If I don't apply bass boost and or too much volume it's fine but still bugs me. I am in shock that the hd 598 do this. Wasn't expecting that at all. But other than making sure that my settings are not too strong I really like this headphone. But I am still in utter shock that it would make clipping sound when too loud. Not like I would actually listen at that volume but just did not expect them to distort with comparison to all my other cans that don't.
My HD449, HD598 And Beyerdynamic DT990 had this. HD650 and T1 doesnt have this thou.

May 15, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #6,278 of 7,535

Same issue with 598SE amped with fiio Q1, distorted bass, I was actually surprised that it even had so much bass. Then I heard the other frequencies getting mushy and all. 

May 16, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #6,279 of 7,535
Hey there,

Could someone recomend a good tube amp for the 598's around 300-350 euros? I was thinking a shiit amp maby the valhala but I dont know if this is a good match. My sourse is the idsd micro. 

Every oppinion would be much apreciated.

Cheers 
beerchug.gif

May 16, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #6,280 of 7,535
  Hey there,

Could someone recomend a good tube amp for the 598's around 300-350 euros? I was thinking a shiit amp maby the valhala but I dont know if this is a good match. My sourse is the idsd micro. 

Every oppinion would be much apreciated.

Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Hi Maxpain, to be honest, you really do not need an amp furthermore. iDSD Micro is surely more than enough to feed headphones.

May 16, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #6,282 of 7,535
  Oh I know! What I am looking for is a little more colorfull and warm sound of a tube amp, just for fun. I only use idsd micro in eco mode. What I am looking for is more fun sound.

Nice! Then yes, take a look at most popular and broad-used (it's very important) amps like Schiit Valhalla 2, as you have mentioned.
They pairs very well together, good bunch of people noted that in this very thread.
Not only it will drive headphones to their fullest, but it will do great for your future upgrade of headphones.

May 17, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #6,285 of 7,535

Nice! Then yes, take a look at most popular and broad-used (it's very important) amps like Schiit Valhalla 2, as you have mentioned.
They pairs very well together, good bunch of people noted that in this very thread.
Not only it will drive headphones to their fullest, but it will do great for your future upgrade of headphones.

Thank you for your response! I have read over the internet that valhalla 2 is made for high impedance headphones. I really like this apm though and I wish that it will pair well with the 598's. How about the asgard? or little dot amps? Because of the micro I am conserned that I will buy an amp that will be in the same level of the micro's internal amp wich is not so bad at all. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back