Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Apr 24, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #6,241 of 7,535

$50 doesn't get you much, so your options are limited. Wouldn't recommend just an amp as connecting it to your motherboard will just make it louder, and actually amplify the garbage in the audio. For under $50 all I can think of in terms of a DAC/amp combo would be the the 1) ASUS Sonar U3 USB. While it is limited to 16/48 it does sound quite a bit better than on-board audio and will definitely power the HD598. 2) ASUS Xonar DG PCI (or DGX pci-e). For $30-$50 depending on the PCI type chosen, you will get full 24/96 with 105 S/N R and can power headphones up to 150Ohms. I have had and used both with my HD598s and I must say they sure improved upon my motherboard's built-in audio (ALC889). I would honestly get the DG(X). It has a wonderful sound and is well reviewed.

Or look in your cities buy/sell websites (Craigslist, Kijiji). I have seen Schiit Fullas go for $50 CND.

beerchug.gif

hey, I have the HD 598 SE and I too sometimes find the volume a bit low. you recommend a DAC/AMP combo so how about FiiO E10k stuff? or even a schitt 

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #6,242 of 7,535
  I'm trying to plug it to the front panel but windows doesn't respond to any device plugged into the jack ports. Only the USB ports are working.
I'm trying to download new version of audio driver.

Check inside your PC case if the front panel audio connector is connected to the motherboard.

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #6,243 of 7,535
I finally picked up my 598 LE from the post office and must say they are way better than my klipsch status headphones. No only in comfort but sound. I listen to the doors riders on the storm. A song I listen to must be like 100 times and never noticed a person whispering under the vocals lol. This is on my google play music account using my nexus 9 tablet. I thought I liked the bass sound but I realized with these I like over all sound and not booming base. Will have to get lossless music and now going to have to look in to a DAC. I know these are not the best headphones out there but they sound great and for the price I feel like they are worth it. Now on to looking for DAC lol

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #6,244 of 7,535
  I finally picked up my 598 LE from the post office and must say they are way better than my klipsch status headphones. No only in comfort but sound. I listen to the doors riders on the storm. A song I listen to must be like 100 times and never noticed a person whispering under the vocals lol. This is on my google play music account using my nexus 9 tablet. I thought I liked the bass sound but I realized with these I like over all sound and not booming base. Will have to get lossless music and now going to have to look in to a DAC. I know these are not the best headphones out there but they sound great and for the price I feel like they are worth it. Now on to looking for DAC lol

It was The Lizard King
He can do anything :)

You've got yourself some great headphones, welcome to the party!

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #6,245 of 7,535
  hey, I have the HD 598 SE and I too sometimes find the volume a bit low. you recommend a DAC/AMP combo so how about FiiO E10k stuff? or even a schitt 

FiiO E10K will be fine for the HD598 - I doubt that you will even need to crank the volume knob up more than halfway (and by then it will be pretty loud).

Yeah, the E10K sounds pretty good with the HD598, and it has that bass boost too if you want more of that.

Apr 25, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #6,246 of 7,535
  FiiO E10K will be fine for the HD598 - I doubt that you will even need to crank the volume knob up more than halfway (and by then it will be pretty loud).

Yeah, the E10K sounds pretty good with the HD598, and it has that bass boost too if you want more of that.

I agree on that.
I used the hd 598 with the E10K the last two weeks, I almost never went after 4 on the volume knob (low gain, it sounds better with the HD598).
Also the sound of it is quite good for the price you pay.

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #6,250 of 7,535
  hi guys

Whit this headphone ...... if i dont like a too deep bass ( im sensible ) what can i do to decrease or soften the deep bass ?
What is the freq range to equalize ?

It's the first time I hear someone "complain" about TOO MUCH bass in the HD 598 :)) Usually is the other way around.

For deep (sub) bass, eq 20 to 60 Hz
For bass 60 to 250 Hz
http://www.teachmeaudio.com/mixing/techniques/audio-spectrum

Interesting chart with instruments ranges and sound characteristics:
http://www.audio-issues.com/music-mixing/all-the-eq-information-youll-ever-need/

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #6,251 of 7,535
It's the first time I hear someone "complain" about TOO MUCH bass in the HD 598 :)) Usually is the other way around.

For bass 60 to 250 Hz

http://www.audio-issues.com/music-mixing/all-the-eq-information-youll-ever-need/

Same here everything I read about these say it not bass heavy. Even when I play songs with heavy bass. It's very light when compared to my klipsch status headphones.

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #6,252 of 7,535
How would you compare hd598 out of mojo to hd598 straight out of an apple device for example iphone5 or an ipad.

I was interested in mojo, but have no experience.

CHORD Mojo is a very well regarded dac/amp on its own, and I'm sure it sounds very good with the HD 598.
However at a price point of over 600$ it is worth getting it only if you will use it with higher end headphones also, to justify its value.

Apr 26, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #6,253 of 7,535

For bass 60 to 250 Hz

for me the 598 compared to all other headphones i ever head reach the deeper bass, specially after many hours ( before not ).
very tight but very deep in some tracks

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #6,254 of 7,535
  for me the 598 compared to all other headphones i ever head reach the deeper bass, specially after many hours ( before not ).
very tight but very deep in some tracks

I know eh?
Me thinks there are too many young folk out there who grew up spoiled with "bass".   
tongue.gif

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back