Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #4,216 of 7,535

If the K702s I had can be compared to the Q701s, then I would go with the 598s every time.  The K702s I had were faster and more in your face in terms of detail, but were shrill at times to the point of being fatiguing.  On the other hand, the 598s are somewhat opposite in that they are so smooth and tame in tonality, but they still have great dynamics and excitement, just in a warmer, more well mannered way.  I find the 598s a much better listen on most things and I got rid of the K702s after about a month as I just couldn't adjust to their shouty upper mid presence.

IMO if you're going to spend $200 on the Q701 and/or K702 I'd strongly recommend the K712 as it is incredible for the sound. It's a higher resolution version of the Q701/K702 but with added bass and more comfy headband. Definitely my favorite headphone for gaming/soundstage under $500. 

Sure, but it is much more picky on amping requirements than the 598s, which must be factored into the costs...

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #4,218 of 7,535
I've spent a few days with my $120(cad) Cyber Monday 2014 HD598 and I feel it's worth coming out of my typical lurk to say something about these cans. I can compare them to my fading memories of my D66SL, and also my AT ESW9a.. Disclaimer: This is my first attempt at expressing headphone impressions, as a result my comments might not make much sense.

First off, I have come to really enjoy these headphones after spending just a few days with them. When I'm not using headphones with my PC, I use mediocre klipsch promedia 2.1 powered speakers. Current source is iTunes -> Maximus Gene VI mobo, but don't fret - I have a Schiit M&M stack waiting for me under the tree
biggrin.gif
!

It seems like whenever I switch off my speakers and I put on these Senn's, initially they seem really flat and boring ..where did all the bass go? That first reaction I experience must just be my ears adjusting, because before the first track is over I'm already forgetting that initial feeling of meh and I'm beginning to understand. It doesn't take long before my ears start acclimate to this much more precise FR and the soon mids become apparent - accompanied by a smooth bassline, and then these *almost* too bright highs come pouring into my head and I'm already lost in the music. Notice I didn't specify which song I was listening to, it usually doesn't matter, these cans go well with a large variety. I can see why few, if any, fellow head-fi members in the 'which headphones do I regret' thread have mentioned any regret following the purchase of HD598.

Regarding the bass, some, even myself, feel that it is somewhat missing on certain tracks. I find especially with some of today's electronic music, I'm missing out on some of the really low down notes, but then when I listen to properly recorded music featuring prominent bass lines, suddenly the HD598's low end seems perfectly adequate and accurate, at times I don't think I would want any more. Mids? Mids sound great! (what do I know..), really though, I enjoy the mids a lot - I think it's where much of the fun in these headphones comes from. Finally the highs, like I mentioned earlier they feel *almost* too bright, but they aren't. In fact, I can listen to these all day without any noticeable ear fatigue. After hearing such clear and crisp highs, those which don't hurt my ears at all, I've learned to enjoy the treble much more in many of the tracks in my library. I feel like before the HD598, I would seek tracks which put emphasis the bottom 70% of the spectrum, but with these I've really come to appreciate the entire package. I also appreciate the effort put in by Sennheiser to keep these highs in check but also not holding anything back in terms of detail. I am really excited to see if I'll hear any appreciable difference using the M&M stack, even without suitable amplification and the usage of a questionable DAC these headphones already sound damn good. (Using the output from my PC I have found myself wanting more volume at times).

Compared to my ESW9a, I feel they are actually somewhat similar in the sound signature, but the 598 is just better in every way (I think the airyness of the HD598 just lets my ears breath and process the sound better, maybe it's just the massive soundstage?). To be more specific, the high's of the AT just don't seem nearly as impressive, and the AT's best feature, it's warm mids, feel even better on the 598. The AT might have more bass but I don't feel like either of these are real basshead cans. These two headphones are rarely compared because they fill two different purposes, one sports a portable closed on-ear design, the other features an open design intended for indoor use. (I just don't have much else to compare them to..). It's weird because at first I wasn't all that impressed by the HD598's, but as I gave them some time and tried a variety of music with them, I've grown a true appreciation for them. I felt the same way after receiving my ESW9a. I have 0 plans of replacing either of them any time soon, although I'm not sure when I'll be needing these AT now. I still can't believe I only spent $120 on HD598!! Oh and compared to the eggo's, the D66 are really no where this level and I honestly shouldn't have even mentioned them.

Some tracks I really enjoy with the HD598:
QOTSA - The Vampyre of Time and Memory
Radiohead - Nude
Radiohead - Codex
Guster - One Man Wrecking Machine
Razorlight - Golden Touch
The Shins - New Slang

Oh and I think the physical exterior of the HD598 looks fantastic, very much like noctua PC fans! Perhaps it is some sort of Austrian / German thing?

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #4,219 of 7,535
  I've spent a few days with my $120(cad) Cyber Monday 2014 HD598 and I feel it's worth coming out of my typical lurk to say something about these cans. I can compare them to my fading memories of my D66SL, and also my AT ES9Wa.. Disclaimer: This is my first attempt at expressing headphone impressions, as a result my comments might not make much sense.

I love reading fellow Head-fier's (and Albertan!) first impressions of their new HD598, especially when their experiences are so close to mine. It takes me back to myself discovering their magic. Good write-up on your initial impressions, they are quite accurate. When you open Santa's gift (the Schit M&M combo...nice!) this Christmas you will re-discover the HD598 all over again. Having a really good DAC and amp makes all the difference. Also, keep in mind that the HD598 really start to open up after a lengthy burn-in; If I was a skeptic of burn-in before, my time with the HD598 set me straight. BTW, AWESOME find on the Cyber Monday sale!

Can I ask a small favour from you? It is awesome you mention the AT ES9WA. There is a pair up on Kijiji in Edmonton for $150 and I am curious/interested. I was actually going to start a new thread on this. Could you describe the sound character/differences between the HD598 and the AT ES9WA? Nothing fancy, cliff-notes will do.

beerchug.gif

Dec 10, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #4,220 of 7,535

I love reading fellow Head-fier's (and Albertan!) first impressions of their new HD598, especially when their experiences are so close to mine. It takes me back to myself discovering their magic. Good write-up on your initial impressions, they are quite accurate. When you open Santa's gift (the Schit M&M combo...nice!) this Christmas you will re-discover the HD598 all over again. Having a really good DAC and amp makes all the difference. Also, keep in mind that the HD598 really start to open up after a lengthy burn-in; If I was a skeptic of burn-in before, my time with the HD598 set me straight. BTW, AWESOME find on the Cyber Monday sale!

Can I ask a small favour from you? It is awesome you mention the AT ES9WA. There is a pair up on Kijiji in Edmonton for $150 and I am curious/interested. I was actually going to start a new thread on this. Could you describe the sound character/differences between the HD598 and the AT ES9WA? Nothing fancy, cliff-notes will do.

beerchug.gif

Ah I can do that, I've just put them on and I'm going to spend a few minutes listening here...

I would say that if you enjoy the sound signature of the HD598 and are looking for a portable alternative, understanding that you will be taking a slightly noticable step back in audio quality, and you're okay with the on-ear pressure (it's already really noticable for me, 2 minutes on head) then look no further. I'll tell you what, I'm already noticing that the synth keyboard in "The Vampyre of Time and Memory" which spans pretty much the duration of the track, especially around the 2:40 mark, is missing alot of ELECTRIC detail from the left channel, I take this as a sign of lack of detail, or just the sharper highs being pulled in just a bit?. That same synth sounds AMAZING on the hd598, ESW9a not so much, kinda just blends into the background, with the HD598 it's my favourite part of the song. I'm also not enjoying the high's being so loud on this can, they're make me wince abit when volume is too high. (I might have just had these turned up abit much, these are somewhat easier to drive.) Oh and finally, I feel like when a song get's more complicated and layered, the individual sounds become much harder to distinguish. I guess you could say that I'm missing the soundstage of the HD598.

..continues listening to ESW9a...

I'll admit paid a good bit more than $150 to get my hands on my ESW9a (especially after customs), well over twice what I spent on the HD598. I always felt that the cost of these headphones was distributed more around the entire headphone, rather than say, just the driver+housing design. I suppose that would be the lamb skin earpads + paduk wood housing I would be referring to. For $150?, heck they're just nice to look at. I'd buy them just to say I did! IMO it's a no brainier if you have a real need for a portable alternative to the HD598. Truthfully I do feel like they should have sounded better for the price, but again, part of the cost is used in other areas of the headphone. I should mention at this point that I feel the HD598 is a more sturdy design, it feels more robust even with all the plastic. (AT owners have had much more serious issues with earcups breaking off of headbands than any Senn owners)

It's been a few minutes now and the clamping force isn't becoming painful, but it is still distracting me from the music, and I know from previous experience I can only wear them for a little more than an hour without taking a break. Not so with the HD598, those are on a set it and forget it level of comfort. My ears have adjusted to the sound of these ESW9a more and it's sounding pretty good now, I'm going to try "The Vampyre of Time and Memory" one more time... You know it is pretty damn good, the mids are solid, especially during the opening vocals, for something I can wear out of the house it's really quite impressive. The bassline is well defined too, it feels just a touch punchier also. Having said that, there is still definitely missing something from that synth though. Let me try the HD598 here.. Wow the sound is easier on the ear immediately, less fatiguing both physically and audibly, I want to turn this up! Also, this bassline sounds even smoother, and it's as if the bass has changed from being a punchy burst to a more of a steady bassline. I'm feeling relief from my ears and simply don't want to wear the ESW9a at this point.

You know, I've always felt abit awkward with the AT's. I wanted to like them, I even have a thing for stuff from Japan (especially automotive), but I rarely used them at home due to the clamping force, and I felt that overall they were only great with a somewhat narrow selection of my music library. If I could have auditioned them in person, and if I would have known the total cost before hand (I was hit hard by customs and COD which really put them into another price bracket), I probably would have passed on them. Overall they just didn't really add much magic to my music listening experience. They did add something though, stress, as these headphones just have a real delicate feel to them (and I had paid good money for them). As such, I rarely felt comfortable leaving the house with them, also because I feel that in public any real headphones make quite a statement and I would personally just fly under the radar and use earpods (gasp)..

Sorry for anyone who just read through all of that rambling, it's getting late! @Bansaku, I hope my comments help.

Dec 10, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #4,221 of 7,535
Kardon

haha I've just read your imporessions and discovered lot's of similarities:

we both got HD598.
we both like how they look :D
we both have a thing for JDM stuff, especially cars :D
oh and funny enough, I was thinking about getting noctua fans for my pc to make them a bit quitter :D

Dec 10, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #4,222 of 7,535
I wasn't even looking for a pair of headphones, but somehow I stumbled upon the information that the 598's were up for a $99 BF sale. I didn't manage to score them, but it intrigued me enough to start reading about them. Midway through this thread (I just finished the whole thing) it sunk in that I need a pair of these no matter the cost. I have become addicted to soundstage and really want to try my first open pair of headphones. It seems these are the best bang for the buck and frankly they look like a freaking Mercedes Benz (that's a good thing). These should run just fine out of an iBasso DX90, correct?

Dec 10, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #4,223 of 7,535
 These should run just fine out of an iBasso DX90, correct?

Yup, shouldn't be a problem.

@ Kardon & nihontoman

Very mixed reactions to the look of the HD598. It honestly made it's way into the ugliest headphone thread, and at the same time best looking. I for one absolutely love the look. Reminds me of riding in a Buick; luxury.

beerchug.gif

Dec 10, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #4,224 of 7,535
I love the look of them and enjoy ogling them on the shelf next to my other cans.  I would be a bit self conscious to wear them outside though, but in the comfort of your home, they're a real treat.  They sound quite like they look as well - luxurious.

Dec 10, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #4,226 of 7,535
  I got this one for $21 shipped: http://www.headphone.com/products/sennehiser-hd-5x8-short-cable It's official Sennheiser cable that's shorter and has the 2.5mm 4 pin. 

On another note I had a spare pair of HM5 pads both velour and leather. I put the leathers on and it made them sound too thick and bassy for my liking. It increased the upper bass to overwelm the sound to the point of not being fun. 

I switched over the velours and it might have changed the soundstage by a very small amount but it's still as wide. I wish I had another pair to A/B. That said the sound has improved and made it worth any shortcomings in the soundstage department. Instead of the headphones sounding like they are throwing the sound behind your ears it now sounds like it's beside your head instead. It brought up the bass and reduced the slight sibilance in the upper mids and lower treble. It smoothed that out and just left the upper treble sparkle. It made it slightly V shaped. Also the comfort level went up another step. They are already incredibly comfortable but this just made them moreso. Now they are like pillows on your head instead of just comfortable pads. Now when a drum hits (not just bass drum) it tickles your ear. That's something that it was missing before. 

EDIT: I went ahead and ordered one of those cables from Ebay. For $16 with a mic is a no-brainer. I just got the Xbox One controller headphone adapter and it supports TRRS headset/headphones so I could use one when gaming and chatting.

Thanks, that's nice to know about the Xbox controller.

Try having a stock pad on one cup and the HM5 velour on the other.  It will take a while for your brain to be able to compare what you hear in one ear versus the other, but it can be done and is a good way to start getting a feel for the changes.  Still, it is indeed little bit better to have two 598s to compare.

Dec 10, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #4,227 of 7,535

Yup, shouldn't be a problem.

@ Kardon & nihontoman

Very mixed reactions to the look of the HD598. It honestly made it's way into the ugliest headphone thread, and at the same time best looking. I for one absolutely love the look. Reminds me of riding in a Buick; luxury.

beerchug.gif

No, no... must be before your time; it's a Lincoln Mercury Brougham that provided the design inspiration for these 'phones:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back