Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Aug 27, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #3,961 of 7,535

Dagnabit! Out of curiosity I flipped over the box to my Momentums; Made in China! Boo-erns Sennheiser, your rep just went down a notch!

mad.gif

My HD650 is the only one not born in China, lol.
Well, AKG has also moved production overseas for some of their models, Beyer will probably follow eventually.

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #3,962 of 7,535
I thought that may be the case, I tried lowering the volume and it's there still, just less pronounced. It's not the audio in general, just specific bass on certain songs and explosions, etc in games. It's pretty short, the rattle. Like as the bass finishes hitting. I only thought it might be the driver since it's just the one cup. Also, someone earlier posted the same problem. Then stated that it happens to the 598 sometimes. I'd love for this to be a nocebo effect or something. I found a tone generator website, but I'm too inexperienced to utilize it. Is there a test I can do? I'm going to just watch something with explosions galore and see if I can detect it. I appreciate any and all help, sorry if I ramble/talk needlessly.

You should get it at high volume, just don't over do it.  Certain sounds with a lot of intensity are triggering it right?  I wonder if the workers missed a spot when gluing the driver diaphragm to its housing.  Or the voice coil leads are rattling against the diaphragm for some reason.
Edit: in that last case, your headphone should see an early death after some more use. 
ph34r.gif

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #3,963 of 7,535
  haha yes , I remember the time when I was new to HiFi ,I used to EQ my 650s excessively , to give you an example of the crazy stuff I did ....I rolled off 2K by 10db , bumped the bass from 50-150 by 8db and bumped the highs by 5db , glad those days are history now :p

I guess in my case it's a bit different.  I have annoyingly sensitive hearing (and I'm 41) and while a computer systems and software engineer, I recently started moving into music production.  The one "upshot" is that I have friends that are over 35 and listen to aggressive music, or served active duty in zones of "high activity."  As such, they have rather oddly attenuated hearing, with one of my friends having a relatively major loss within the typical vocal range.  When you look at Fletcher-Munson Curves it becomes more obvious for people like me who use some EQ on playback since I listen at really low levels, while the others might EQ at the fringes (bass in particular) at almost all levels.  I still make EQ curves for my various headphones when directly connected to my Galaxy Note 3, and I've had to back them off to nearly flat since I started using a FiiO E18 outboard DAC/Amp with the phone.  I noticed the phenomenon when I started using a Komplete Audio 6 USB I/O box for recording and playback, and feeling a "need" to keep everything flat when just listening to music (not critically, and not when in production, which I shelve, cut, and shape instruments as needed).

Anyway, I guess the main point is that once you can get some serious conversion and decent power behind the headphones (or and type of loudspeaker) you might feel less of a need to color the sound any further.  I still EQ for certain situations and headphones, but I have profiles made in my applications to suit with subtle curves to deal with ambient issues.

Aug 28, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #3,964 of 7,535
Hello, first time posting on a forum! I'm a proud owner of a pair of Sennheiser 598s. However, I'm experiencing an issue. After reading through a lot of this thread, I'm fearful there may be rattling in the driver in my left ear cup. I first noticed it when I was playing Halo 4 online, explosions definitely sounded like what I would describe as ending with a slight crackle. So, I proceeded to listen to a variety of music to investigate. It's almost imperceptible, and if I wasn't so annoyingly anal about my sound quality, I probably wouldn't notice. It sounds off with only certain bass ranges (deep) and seems to be just from the left cup. It's like the bass ends with a slight, well, rattle. It's not a constant problem, as I only seem to notice it during heavy bass / explosions. I really love the headphones, despite the issue, but I HAVE to know if it's a defect or something while I still have the warranty. I bought them through Amazon ($180!), if that's of importance. Running them through a 2013 Astro Mix Amp. I've tested them without the amp, too, also tried dialing down the volume and EQ settings on the mix amp. Everyone on this forum seems to know their stuff, so I figured this would be the best place to find help!

I thought that may be the case, I tried lowering the volume and it's there still, just less pronounced. It's not the audio in general, just specific bass on certain songs and explosions, etc in games. It's pretty short, the rattle. Like as the bass finishes hitting. I only thought it might be the driver since it's just the one cup. Also, someone earlier posted the same problem. Then stated that it happens to the 598 sometimes. I'd love for this to be a nocebo effect or something. I found a tone generator website, but I'm too inexperienced to utilize it. Is there a test I can do? I'm going to just watch something with explosions galore and see if I can detect it. I appreciate any and all help, sorry if I ramble/talk needlessly.

This was the exact same problem I had. I ordered from amazon as well, twice. Finally just sent them back the headphones for a refund and upgraded to the 650's, which I could not be happier with.

To use the tone generator site, just type in 100hz, and press play. I really got a bad buzzing in my 598's starting from 60hz-180hz or so, peaking at around 100hz. http://onlinetonegenerator.com/

Aug 31, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #3,965 of 7,535
Anyone care to compare bass presence, or impact, the HD598 to AKG Q701?  I listened to the Q701, and while a fine headphone, didn't have the bass impact I thought I wanted.  I still want to try another open headphone.

Thanks!

Aug 31, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #3,966 of 7,535
Bass impact leaks out the back, same as Q701 and its variants, lol.
I would recommend a closed-back for any worthwhile bass impact, or do the bass mod on your Q701.

Sep 13, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #3,968 of 7,535
I recently tried my hd 598 with the fiio x5 player and i was really dissapointed. They sound weak and aren't loud enough. I have these headphones since 4 months and never really used them much because they weren't loud enough through my computer, my cx300ii sound much better and louder then the 598's:/ even my uncles beats studio sound better i am really confused as to what's wrong with them feels like i wasted money on these headphones

Sep 13, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #3,969 of 7,535
I recently tried my hd 598 with the fiio x5 player and i was really dissapointed. They sound weak and aren't loud enough. I have these headphones since 4 months and never really used them much because they weren't loud enough through my computer, my cx300ii sound much better and louder then the 598's:/ even my uncles beats studio sound better i am really confused as to what's wrong with them feels like i wasted money on these headphones

Very odd. The HD598 even sound great out of my iPod; I only have to turn up the volume by 1 to match that of the Momentums. I suspect you received fakes or a defective pair, as the HD598 can get defining loud with powerful (mid)bass (subtle sub-bass).

beerchug.gif

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #3,971 of 7,535

Very odd. The HD598 even sound great out of my iPod; I only have to turn up the volume by 1 to match that of the Momentums. I suspect you received fakes or a defective pair, as the HD598 can get defining loud with powerful (mid)bass (subtle sub-bass).

beerchug.gif

+1 agreed.  With my E11K I usually have to switch down to low gain.

Sep 14, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #3,972 of 7,535
I know of some people who simple prefer bass punch and loudness over anything else n terms of sound quality. Since the HD598's don't whack you with bass punch like the CX300ii and the Studios but is more polite so it may be the reason you don't like them.

And loud for me may be soft for someone else, so i feel that you might be listening at potentially damaging sound levels on your other headphones.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #3,973 of 7,535
The 598's work more for the open stage and the vocals and clarity not so much the bass but with a receiver or eventually with good Amp with work fine, i think for the $ work verry well.i do not have any other very expensive headphones so cant really tell ... Also any one who owns them, DONT try to max the volume Amp !
I did with the sony receiver and in 5/6 i got the right phone grain. i had sweat coming from my face .. there ok nothing happen, they just need caution thats all.

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #3,975 of 7,535
  The 598's work more for the open stage and the vocals and clarity not so much the bass but with a receiver or eventually with good Amp with work fine, i think for the $ work verry well.i do not have any other very expensive headphones so cant really tell ... Also any one who owns them, DONT try to max the volume Amp !
I did with the sony receiver and in 5/6 i got the right phone grain. i had sweat coming from my face .. there ok nothing happen, they just need caution thats all.

The Brainwavz HM5-NVX XPT100 (Open) surpasses the 598s in terms of fidelity and that headphone used to be $60 after rebate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back