Sennheiser HD 560 Ovation II Review
Jul 22, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #46 of 241
Thanks for the info, Jefic!

Don't take my questions the wrong way, I'd just like to clarify things a bit further. You describe the 530 as woolly-sounding, but don't seem aware which version it was? Also, what's the source for the info that the drivers aren't the same between the 530 and the 560?

A guy made a review of the HD 540 and HD 560 here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/208013/review-8-european-full-size-open-dynamics-1985-1995-long
All of the first series 540 and 560 headphones were bright and a bit thin-sounding, something that was probably overcompensated for in the boomy and bass-heavy second series. ... The first things you notice with the [second series] HD560 are the big, boomy bass presence, warm sound, and deep soundstage. The second things you notice are the rolled-off treble, limited detail resolution, and inability to handle complex passages. This headphone may be the origin of the famous Senn veil.

Although I'm not sure if wyki would agree with the boominess in the bass, this is also a guy who found (or had reason to assume) some 560s to have been bright.

Jul 23, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #47 of 241
Thanks, Jefic.  I appreciate the correction on transducers.  As I mentioned earlier, I have both the HD 530 and the HD 560.  There's no question that the HD 560 is the more precise headphone.  It is interesting to learn that the difference lies in the transducers as well as the housing.  (I believe I was confusing this case with the HD 580/ HD 600, which -- if I am correct -- share a transducer and differ only in housing.)

I would be curious to know your impressions if you had compared the HD 560 with more modern headphones (K 701/2, DT 880 600 Ohm, not to mention the HD 800 and T1) for classical music.  I have a good rig with a V-DAC, Purity Audio K.I.C.A.S. regular (not Caliente, which is warmer), and HD 560.  To avoid financial disaster, I haven't experimented further. 

Jul 24, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #48 of 241
Hi everyone,

As I see I would have been well advised to keep Senneiher's brochures for the past 25 years!
redface.gif

Sorry, it's only my memory that tells me that the HD 530 was voiced for rock rather than "classical" (acoustic music is a more relevant term). One detail struck me, and this was the use of copper for the coil former. I'm writing this with some hesitation now after all those years, but there is no doubt that the transducers were not the same.  
Back in the 80's I was in the hi-fi business, and from 1987 onwards was called upon to do some recordings of breton pipe-bands. This is as severe a test as can be for the tonal balance, and I do not recall having encountered a sample of the HD 560 that sounded bright -contrary to the HD 540, which hardened the treble. The HD 530 softened it, and I do not recall either having heard a sample that sounded different. Among other Sennheiser products at the time, only the HD 480 Classic approached the tonal accuracy, and especially timbral richness, of the HD 560, but it was significantly less "airy". However, it was usable as a recording tool, more so than the HD 520-30-40 -notwithstanding the absence of acoustic isolation of course-. When the 580 was launched, I was very disappointed, as it sounded distinctly hard. 
Since then, I have never been wholly convinced by anything I have heard, but I must admit to having given up trying new products, as those that are in the same price braket as the HD 560 never seduce me. It so seems that Sennheiser themselves have issued formidable up-market models (the HD 800 and 1000, I believe), but their prices are not for me.

I'm quite sure that I would be delighted to drive a Maserati Quattroporte and make its V8 roar in the city streets, but then I will have to go down back on earth among mere mortals: this is definitely a pleasure for masochists!
devil_face.gif

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #49 of 241
Quote:
Sorry, it's only my memory that tells me that the HD 530 was voiced for rock rather than "classical" (acoustic music is a more relevant term). One detail struck me, and this was the use of copper for the coil former. I'm writing this with some hesitation now after all those years, but there is no doubt that the transducers were not the same. 

I would contend that "voiced" can and does mean many things, including changing the cup materials. There is also a person who will say that the HD 530 voice coil was indeed made of aluminum: http://www.neumann.com/forums/view.php?site=neumann&bn=neumann_archive&key=910684626

(Unless, of course, the aluminum info applies only to the 300-ohm version.)

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #50 of 241
Hi,
Well well well... Here I'm caught: my memory cheated me
redface.gif
. The copper was on the HD 520, and it is the one that was "voiced" for rock! The 530 did sound more neutral and richer. But then it was definitely less detailed and airy than the the 560, while being more comfortable on the ears (well: hearing) than the 540. So it was better value for the money! 
Sorry for misleading you
frown.gif
. Hope I'm not mistaken this time
biggrin.gif
!
Oh, and thank you vid for putting things right
beerchug.gif

Jul 26, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #51 of 241
Thanks, Jefic.  Speaking of "value for the money," I think both the HD 560 and HD 530 remain good second hand values when they occasionally turn up on Ebay or the Head-Fi Equipment Forum, at least for someone who listens to classical music.  They aren't priced as collectors' items.  It would be interesting to compare one to an HD 598 (a new model of course), which has a slightly higher street price if bought used -- more of course new.  My guess is that the HD 598 is better for imaging but the HD 560 is purer, but I have not heard the HD 598, so I am going only on the  598 reviews there (and most of those reviewers probably never heard an HD 560).

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #52 of 241
it seems that many ppl still interested with this gem...

i have 3 units of HD560 II.. one unbalance unit save for parts and im kind of a collector..

own HD650 as well, in comparison HD560 is more accurate sounding but HD650 is more suitable for modern music and more universal.

to get the full potential of HD560 u need a very powerful amp to get the best potential (DAC -> Pre-amp -> Power amp)~

Sep 22, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #53 of 241
Yes, the HD 560 was made at a time when Sennheiser assumed that high-end users listened to classical music.  Since I do, it's perfect for me.  I would be interested to compare it to some of the recent headphones (AKG 712, HE 400/ 500, Beyerdyamic DT 880/ 600 Ohm, not to mention the HD 800 and T1), since there seems to have been a swing back towards accuracy.  But I'm not sure I can justify the expense when I already have the HD 560. 

Sep 23, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #54 of 241
  Yes, the HD 560 was made at a time when Sennheiser assumed that high-end users listened to classical music.  Since I do, it's perfect for me.  I would be interested to compare it to some of the recent headphones (AKG 712, HE 400/ 500, Beyerdyamic DT 880/ 600 Ohm, not to mention the HD 800 and T1), since there seems to have been a swing back towards accuracy.  But I'm not sure I can justify the expense when I already have the HD 560. 

for the price u get the hd560 i think it blow many headphones away with it price to performance ratio? lol

joke aside

K712 - still new nvr got the chance to try in malaysia

HE500 - quite similar with HD650 at some point, erm just imagine a electrostat HD650? 

DT880 - IMO, muddy (better than other DT880 version), plug into lavry it still muddy.. too focus on treble respond.. and yet it doesnt have the transparency of HD6XX series.. again IMHO

HD800 and T1 is jus a different league.. some might suggest HD800 sounds similar to HD540, but IMO HD540 doesnt even come close.. HD800 jus great! But again it must be proper amp, very very proper amp!

so at the end of the day, 

Classic music: DAC -> Pre-amp -> Power amp -> HD560 II 

full blast emotion with Sennheiser style accuracy~

other than tat just proper amp and dac the HD650 and save money for speakers(?)

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #55 of 241

for the price u get the hd560 i think it blow many headphones away with it price to performance ratio? lol

joke aside

Classic music: DAC -> Pre-amp -> Power amp -> HD560 II 

Thanks, daydesiang.  Actually, I have the HD 560 first version.  Since I have not heard the II, I can't comment on the difference.  I can say that the HD 560 I has remarkable timbral accuracy.  Incidentally, I don't have a preamp -- just a V-DAC and a Purity Audio K.I.C.A.S. Regular (not Caliente), which Oriel Mendelovitz of Purity Audio said would be better for classical music than the Caliente.

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #56 of 241
My experience with these is exactly dead on Triakel's. This introduced me as well to a higher end of sound. I used to think it was all a myth. Anyway mine are in bad shape, cord has two shorts one at connector point and one at left speaker connector does anyone know if the cords can be replaced at this point in the game. It'd be the greatest thing ever to have these properly working. They do still work but you have to fiddle with cord most of time. I also need total cushions inner and outer pads, covers, they have literally dissolved it seems over 20 yrs.

So it looks like UK Senn has the parts for cable and pads, so it must surely be able to be repaired. It looks like $84 for both I'm sure there would be shipping cost too from UK. The stupid US Senn site has ZERO listings or data on this pair of HD's.

Or instead of $90+ would it be wiser to put that money into a newer pair say HD 598 or 600's. The only decent other pair that works I have IEM miles davis tributes, which I really enjoy. But these will always be my first love.

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #57 of 241
HD560 Ovation I/II & Germany made HD580(very rare) are the best Sennheiser dynamic cans.
& they are the most musical dynamic cans on the planet.(even more musical than the vintage Stax)

They have a very high quality,transparent,beautiful,delicate,sweet timbre.unlike the current models(hd700,hd6xx,new hd580 etc,sound bitter,rough,veiled..lol.... yeah,cheap sound.),

They belong to the "Orpheus family"

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #58 of 241
The difference of HD560 Ovation & Ovation II, is like k701 vs k601
k601 sound a bit less dynamic,a bit weaker than 701.

Transducer price difference:
HD650 is £37.87 ,and HD560 is £90.02​

HD560 transducer,beautiful isn't it:

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #59 of 241
Yea I wondered how you meant that I always thought the Ovation II was slightly better or so I thought I read a few times. Well I'm glad I got my new parts ordered, the cord came and I can now listen again without having to tinker with the cords, and the new pads they said would ship in few weeks. Crazy I've had them for 20 yrs now and they reallly are still in really good shape. And they still sound fantastic I've spent 3 straight days listening to one thing after another with them.

But I always wondered what they'd sound like compared to HD 600 or 650 that's the cans I always wanted in all this time.

Feb 13, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #60 of 241
If you want listen some delicate,beautiful,sweet sound, but can't afford a HE90/HE70.
get a HD560 or HD580(Germany version). (560s are much easier to find than the Germany hd580)

They aren't expensive in secondary market now,because most people don't know how good they are.

(Don't buy HD580 jubilee, they are way overpriced,& the sound is worse than 560/580 Ger ver.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back