Sennheiser HD 560 Ovation II Review
May 18, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #76 of 241
So i've contacted sennheiser, my local sennheiser dealer and many other stores and neither of them store the part i want. 

The only place i can find one is in this swedish store http://headparts.se.... But there is 2 problems.

1 - I can't seem to find any info in this store so i don't know if it is reliable. 
2 - They only ship within sweden.

Is there any swedish guy who knows this company and is willing to help me get the headband?

So, my research lead me to some part numbers. So, i'll leave them here for future reference:

Earpads: 041299
Headband: 044525 (original) 046958 (HD250 headband that is compatible with HD560)
Driver: 046957 (Ovation II)
           041302 (Ovation I)

Jul 29, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #80 of 241
Does anyone actually know what the exact differences between the Ovation I and Ovation II are?

I've been wanting a pair of HD560s for ages and I've just bought some Ovation Is, wondering whether I should have waited until I could get hold of some Ovation IIs.

Jul 29, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #81 of 241
Well the headband clearly. I consider the II's the most comfortable headphones I've ever had on my head. Also the drivers are different so clearly there is going to be differences in the two pair.

Jul 29, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #82 of 241
  Well the headband clearly. I consider the II's the most comfortable headphones I've ever had on my head. Also the drivers are different so clearly there is going to be differences in the two pair.

I can't see any differences in the headband other than what's written on them.

The big question is what is the difference in sound quality?

Jul 30, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #83 of 241

I can't see any differences in the headband other than what's written on them.

The big question is what is the difference in sound quality?

I told you the answer least in some is in this thread. I knew I'd read it here.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/71934/sennheiser-hd-560-ovation-ii-review#post_8646687

Message him and ask him for more details. He's still around I messaged him about them back in Feb. or so.

Jul 31, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #84 of 241
  Don't invest too much on the amp for  the hd560,
Although it's one of my favorite headphone.
You could get better sound for the same money
the vintage stax lambdas sound more real than the hd560s

STEREOPHILE'S RECOMMENDED COMPONENTS 1996

Headphones & Headphone Accessories

A Class

Cary Audio Design CAD-300SEI: $3395
Sennheiser Orpheus HE 90/HEV 90: $12,900
Sennheiser HE 60/HEV 70 headphone amplifier: $1795
Stax SR-Omega headphones: $4500
Stax SR-Lambda Pro Signature: $2000 *

B Class

Etymotic Research ER-4S: $330
HeadRoom Supreme portable headphone amplifier: $399 $$$
Home HeadRoom headphone amplifier: $599
Koss ESP/950: $799.99 $$$
Melos SHA-1 headphone amplifier: $1095 *
Sennheiser HD580: $349 $$$
Stax Lambda Pro 3: $1200 *
Stax Lambda Pro Classic: $850

C Class

Grado SR-60 headphones: $69 $$$
Stax SR-34 Professional: $200 $$$ *

D Class

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro: $159 *
Sennheiser HD540 II: $199 *
Sennheiser HD560 II: $289 *
Sennheiser IS 850 Digital Infrared Wireless Headphones: $1395

$$$ = "Product found to perform much better than might be expected from its price."

* = "Has been on the Recommended Components list for few years

I think Stereophile got these rankings all wrong concerning the Sennheisers.
To my ears my Sennheiser HD 540 II is clearly superior to my HD 600, and my old HD 580.
They even ranked the HD 600 as Class A, in later issues.
My HD 540 II has better air, treble extension, timbre, realism, midrange smoothness [No 4k peak], and no bass hump compared to the HD 600 as well as the old HD 580.
Just my 2 cents.

Aug 3, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #86 of 241

Hi Sir Galahad,

Well, this was over 20 years ago, but I believe that my memory is still accurate as to what distinguishes the II from the I:
-The double plug (3.5mm and 1/4Inch);
-The grade of copper for the conductors.
If there is more, I've forgotten what. I can't even tell whether there is a sonic benefit, as I've never owned both at the same time. All I can say is that either model surpasses everything I've heard in terms of accuracy, to the extent that if you find something wrong  with the sound, you're probably hearing the limitations of the associated equipment. In fact, the intrinsic limit of this transducer is that it cannot ape the real SPL's heard in front of a bagad (breton pipe band), and this is especially noticeable in the bass.

Yours
Jefic (Brittany)

Sep 1, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #87 of 241
After reading this thread and the HD540 Reference thread and the glowing reviews i came to the conclusion to buy a used HD560II ovation off the net and i was lucky have bought one in good order and with brand new pads for 70Euros.

At first it was ghastly and unlistenable: male voices sounded tinny and with now depth and i was also wondering where the bass was. I read about bass shy but not that much! So i was already considering to sell it again, but gave it a few more albums because i didn't want to give up so quickly.

And what came up in the end....it finally opened up. I presume that it had layed unused for a few years and now it became adjusted. But it does need some juice with its 300Ohm and i had to nearly always crank up my Little Dot MKIII amp to 2-3PM to have a satisfying listening level.

These headphones are, really, really good and have nice mids and highs but have a little less bass as the HD580/600. They are not bright at all (which i feared upfront) with my amp and the C3G tubes. If you want to explore the details of an album, this headphone will certainly do the job. I guess its also very good for classic, but i haven't tried yet.

I couldn't believe that these are at least on par with the HD580/600 if not even better but have less bass but still enough to enjoy the music. The soundstage is also broader as the HD580 and i "saw" the musicians with their instruments neatly next to each other on the album "Present Tense" from the Wild Biests.

So if you are looking for a really good sounding budget headphone get a used HD560II Ovation. I did read on one thread these had high frequency issues but not with my pair. Maybe i got lucky but it's sound is in the HD600 range.

Now i see myself handling it like a raw egg and hoping it never gets broken and i think it's a precious gem to be unearthed.

EDIT: do consider to use a hefty amp for the headphones to benefit from.

EDIT2: after listening to Cat Steven "Mona Bone Jakon" once more i did occaisonly stumble upon a "hiss" especially with high hats and "s"'s.

Sep 1, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #88 of 241
^Mind you, the HD 600 itself is about 20 years old, and had already been outdone in the dynamics' field a decade before that, by the DT 990 in the '80s. There just isn't much that sets them apart from other good phones 20-30 years ago.

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #89 of 241
Also mind you that the HD600 (HD580 also?) drivers are not the same today as they were back then - old had some silk mesh around them whereas current production have a metallic type one.

Sep 2, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #90 of 241
Whether there's an actual difference between drivers of this or that type would ideally be investigated e.g. by establishing baselines of normal driver variation among the different types, keeping pads etc. constant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back