Sennheiser HD 558 vs. the HD 598
Jan 2, 2013 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 130

Cthoeprrrey

New Head-Fier
Hello head-fi!

I've learned a lot about audio gear today thanks for the site. :)

I'm looking for headphones for classical, jazz, and solo piano music and some pc gaming.

My budget is in euros and it's about 100€ to 200€
I'm looking at the Sennheiser HD 558 which is about 149€.
I'm also getting a Xonar DGX to amp it a little and play with some pc games.

I was considering the HD 598 but wasn't convinced if it would be a better buy for 185€

I'm not an audiophile but looking at most of the expenses going around I wish I wont turn in to a one.
I might turn out one because I'm very obsessive though, almost spent 200€ on keyboards because of a recent obsession which I hope is gone for good. :)
I'll hope I'll figure out something else to obsess about. :D

But I think I'm not doing any big mistake but I'm looking for thoughts on this.

Is the price gap between the HD 558 and the HD 598 reasonable to save some money in and is the Asus Xonar DGX a fairly good card to run the headphones? :)

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 130
Heya,

Are you open to other headphone possibilities?

I would have you also look into:

Beyer DT880 PRO 250ohm
Hifiman HE-300
Sony MA900
AKG Q701
Ultrasone HFI 2400
AudioTechnica AD900

What kind of sound are you looking to achieve? Neutral? Bassy?

Very best,

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 130
The 598 IS better. There is little question about that. 

However, can you possibly link us a website that you will be using or/and tell us what country you are in? I feel that there are better options, but I won't know until I see if headphones in your country are over priced or not. 

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 130
The AKG Q701 is available for 299€ and there is only one retailer selling it.

The HD 558 is 149€ and the HD 598 is 185€ so this is probably just a bad price on those I guess?

I'm looking around most retailers for any suggestions you post here. :)

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #9 of 130
I've read about it and yeah, I think I might love them. :)

But would I get the most out of them with the Asus Xonar DG or is there a reason I should get the Asus Xonar STX instead?
I've read they're easy headphones to run without a big amplifier.

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #10 of 130
HD598 = more spacious, brighter and more refined version of HD558 with a little less punchy and more airy bass.

not sure about the sound cards so i can't add anything to that

amping is not nessasary, but an amp can definitely improve the sound, just not that much though.

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #11 of 130
Quote:
I've read about it and yeah, I think I might love them. :)

But would I get the most out of them with the Asus Xonar DG or is there a reason I should get the Asus Xonar STX instead?
I've read they're easy headphones to run without a big amplifier.

I would say to save some cash for now and just get the Xonar DG (or DGX).
If you were getting headphone that are over 150-Ohms, then the STX becomes more worth it.
You can always add an external (optical input) DAC/amp to use with the DG.
or just replace the DG

Try to find some used HD558s and remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups.

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #12 of 130
The Asus Xonar DG is a small sound card with a "half-decent amplifier" according to a head-fi'er here (Asus says it can run headphones up to 150 Ohms) and it also has some gaming specific extras like dolby surround and can produce better sound than what I have currently in my PC.

I've read that the headphones can run well from most output so I think I'm going to be fine with the Asus Xonar DG.

EDIT: THERE it's you PurpleAngel! :D
EDIT2: Yes, I'm actually getting a DGX. :)

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #13 of 130
Quote:
I would say to save some cash for now and just get the Xonar DG (or DGX).
If you were getting headphone that are over 150-Ohms, then the STX becomes more worth it.
You can always add an external (optical input) DAC/amp to use with the DG.
or just replace the DG

Try to find some used HD558s and remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups.

I've read that the HD598's have better construction and though I don't really think they're beautiful looking headphones I actually like them having a unique look. :)
(Are there really any similar looking headphones ever built?)

And I might replace the DG if a new generation of sound cards are ever made and maybe get another set of headphones to fix the HD 598's weak sides...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AOfbnGkuGc

...Whoa.
What was that.
I have the feeling like I'm being hypnotized.

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #14 of 130
which of those two well go better with music such as pop and hip hop like n dubz, Enrique Iglesias, maroon 5 etc . by the way I do not know what special demands there genres have,, is it the bass or something else., or may be the 518 is better choice for these genres.

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #15 of 130
the HD518 has more bass presense but the HD558 has more soundstage and upfront vocals, and the HD598 having even more soundstage and being slightly less bassy but being more refined in everyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back