Sennheiser HD 558 issue on right earcup hollow sound?
Mar 2, 2011 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

yellowFreak

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi

I am new fellow in this forum so please take good care of me.

Just bought myself a new heaphone Sennheiser HD 558 which is a tremendous upgrade from a HD 202. The comfort is great, the sound is stunning but although with an issue I find annoying.

Since I occasionally play a few games I tried them in CS Source and during heavy shoot encounter when standing next to a player who is emptying his ammo I hear some sort of "hollow sound" among all the common audio in my right ear when standing on his left side. The artificial sound should not occur so I turned around making the sound coming into my left earcup and there is no problem with the sound at all.

Is this a common issue on which should be going away by itself since its brand new or should I go straight to the store and get it replaced immediately?

Hope you can be of any help and thank you in advance

Kasper

Mar 2, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 7
I suspect the problem here is that the 558 is open backed and the 202 is closed. Remember, with the 558 you're going to hear all outside noises, which may not be the best for gaming. Why not use the 202 for gaming? Then you won't have to spin on the spot like that.
tongue_smile.gif

The chances of a fault in the 558 are effectively nil.

Mar 2, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 7
so what you are saying is that the hollow sound I hear is basically the outside noises, and that I can not agree. The interference of the outside noises should not be the cause of it. What I mean by hollow sound is that the headphones itself generate this hollow sound, its like its there is a pitch it cant tolerate and makes it act inaccordingly on the right earcup.

I am not comparing the sound from the HD 202 but the sound from right earcup to the left ones.

Mar 2, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 7
Impossible to diagnose this one from the info supplied. I suggest you give them a good workout on music. If there's a problem it will show up; if nothing shows up the problem is not with the cans unless they're in some way being overloaded, which is unlikely. If there's a fault or something is loose, music (preferably bassy) will show it up.  

Mar 2, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 7
I am gonna give it a few days of use to soften up the bass, just curious if this was an issue seen before. thank you for the reply it ease my mind considering the price to pay of the headphone

Mar 2, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 7
Are you using an amp? I'm in the process of returning my 598s, the 5x8 series really need an amp. I would describe their sound unamped hollow, thin, and boring.

Mar 2, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 7
Currently I am without my amp...but in comparison to of a 555 or 595 the new version should be more compatible with their low impedance. Adjusting my EQ actually gave a very good audio. It is like I am hearing every inch of a song, the clarity is superior but I want a bit more bass...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back