Sennheiser HD 555 'treble-heavy'?
Sep 20, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #46 of 54
My apologies for being relevant and on topic... lol. 

Quote:
I don't know what you guys want. I didn't say burn-in doesn't exist. You're putting words in my mouth and jump to conclusions.

And what's wrong with you 1Time, did your girlfriend leave you and now you wreak your anger on me or what?
Please get back on topic, back to a "mature" discussion.

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #49 of 54

Quote:
 I think it's a shame that headamps don't have bass and treble controls, like speaker amps used to always have (they don't have it on those anymore either)

Really? Have you mentioned this to Marantz, Nad, Denon, Cambridge, Pioneer.............

Sep 21, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #51 of 54
I own the HD555 as well. I noticed the bass was a little weaker than I had anticipated at first. I did then read an article talking about how open ear naturally has less bass than closed. After my burn in, they did sound significantly better.

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #52 of 54
any good headphone won't sound too great out of an ipod compared to an amp being used. i bet the 555's do have really nice kicking bass if powered by a nice vintage receiver or headphone amp. all i have are the 205's for now and people complained they had no bass and harsh highs and ok mids. it had decent bass out of my soundcard even after burn-in. mids were great but recessed and no airness at all and sounded dull. highs were harsh too.soundstage was narrow. everything changed as soon as i got into vintage gear and was given a mint 1976 craig am/fm stereo receiver and changed more after i bought a nice 1970's mint condition kenwood kr-720 stereo receiver tuner/amplifier for 30 bucks. bass was thunderous,clean/tight and vibrated my ear pads. highs were tight and clean with no piercing at all but sounded recessed at times while mids were more natural,energentic  and gave more airness as well in string and wind instruments and female vocals. gave it a nice rich  warm sound and sounded far more enjoyable

just saying give'em more of a chance with different sources. never used a cmoy before also so can't say how that will perform.

Sep 21, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #53 of 54
You can achieve the same with a diy impedance adapter or EQ (preferable imo, doesn't kill the damping factor), see reply #28.

Sep 24, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #54 of 54
To the OP, I just got my pair of HD555s in today. They sound horrible out of my iPod touch 3G. They have a very thin, nasty sound to them. I have no other way of describing it. So, I hooked them up to my Xonar DX sound card, and it's like listening to a completely different pair of headphones. They're quite full sounding now and have enough bass that I consider them to have a very balanced sound. I haven't even burned them in yet! I think if you pair them up with a good amp, you'll be very happy! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back