Sennheiser HD-535 questions
Aug 9, 2008 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

!!!nick

New Head-Fier
Hi. This is my first post on Head-Fi. Just starting to learn about headphones. I have an older pair of Sennheiser HD-535. I’m searching for some basic info on them, but not having much luck. Does anyone know if they are considered “open” or “closed” design?

Also, since I believe they are probably 15 yrs old (maybe more), is it likely the sound quality has been reduced due to aging of the electronics or components?

And (last question!) How would this pair measure up in performance, if compared to today’s comparable class of headphone?

Thanks in advance for any info. Nick

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 18
I don't know about the 535, but it is very unlikely the sound quality has been degraded due to aging unless they were kept in a swamp. That said, they are also probably not up to performance of an HD555, but that's just a rough guess based on model numbers and the general flow of audio technology. Maybe someone else with more experience in older phones can help out
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 18
they are tons better than the hd497-very comparable to an hd555
the hd535 are 150 ohms tho and need a strong sound card or a portable amp at least

Aug 9, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 18
I have a pair of these, and a 525 as well. They sound very good, and pop up on ebay all the time for reasonable prices.

Aug 10, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 18
thanks for the replies. They seem like they are in good shape, except for an annoying short that shows up once in a while on the right side. I can live with it though.

ourfpshero. These headphones sure sound different if I use them with a Pioneer receiver vs. just plugging them into the headphone jack on my laptop.
Nick

Sep 1, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #8 of 18
I used to own a pair (or they maybe stored somewhere and currently own a pair of HD555 (soon I will be getting HD650 this Friday :)).  They are very familiar in sound (HD535) but the HD555 has a much better cable.  The problem with the HD535 is the cable kept shorting on one side. You can buy another cable but then the issue happens again.  

They are definitely OPEN headphones.

The only thing that might wear are the drivers, but generally they sounded fine, it was just the cable that was the problem.

Sep 1, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #9 of 18
I have a pair of these.  They came with a surround sound box I never used.  They aren't bad sounding.  :)  Might be unfair, but I'd rate AD700's and SR80i's above them, though.

Jun 3, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #10 of 18
I have a pair of these headphones and have always thought they sounded pretty darn good, especially for what I paid for them.  They are many years old, I thought about 8 but my wife reminded me that I got them before our boy was born, and he's 12.  These may actually be 13-15 years old.  I am currently considering replacing these with the 600 or 650 and giving these to my wife.  She is far less enthusiastic about music than I am and they would serve her very well.  Like you, I too had that issue with the cable, though it was never really severe.  I did, however, order a replacement cable for them and just connected it 45 minutes ago.  I got it through amazon.com for $29 and the result of replacing has them sounding as good as ever.  I thought that was a pretty cheap fix!  It is apparently the same cable used for a number of different Sennheiser models, a real plus.  It's also a far superior quality cable, much thicker, heavy duty than the original cable, and it came with a gold plated adapter plug as well. I realize this thread is older and that this information may no longer be relevant but just thought I'd let you know that this is a pretty darn good headphone if functioning correctly, with deep punchy well defined bass, solid mids and a crisp upper end.  You could do FAR worse!

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #11 of 18
I know this is an old post, but for the sake of those still seeking information I will give you some details on HD535 as I own 2 pairs and have their boxes with all info printed on them.

TECHNICAL DATA
Frequency response: 20-25000KHz (-3dB) / 8-32000 (-10dB)
Design: Open, Dynamic
Frequency curve: Diffuse field loudness equalization (have no clue what this is...)
Nominal impedance: 150Ω
Sound pressure: 97dB
Power handling capability (DIN45580): 0.2W
THD (DIN45500): <0.25%
Sound coupling to ear: circumaural
Headphone caliper pressure: ~2.5N
Weight without cable: 255g
Plug: 3.5 (includes gold plated 6.3 adapter)
Cable: 3.5m detachable OFC

BOX DESCRIPTION
High quality Hi Fi stereo headphone - Open design
Neodymium magnet for powerful dynamic sound
Extremely lightweight AlCu voice coil for dynamic and natural sound
Duofold-membrane to reduce sound waves
Natural tonal quality, solid bass, crystal clear treble
Plugin robust OFC cable with kevlar
Gold plated jack
Adjustable headband

Feb 19, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #12 of 18
thanks for the replies. They seem like they are in good shape, except for an annoying short that shows up once in a while on the right side. I can live with it though.

ourfpshero. These headphones sure sound different if I use them with a Pioneer receiver vs. just plugging them into the headphone jack on my laptop.

Nick
i had such problem with the shorting and purchased a $20 upgraded cable on Amazon. The 535 uses the same one as the 600 series. The upgraded cord is far more substantial.

Mar 20, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #13 of 18
I felt compelled to contribute to this thread after recently building 5 identical cables in order to conduct an extensive comparative listening test between my HD265/525/535/545/565/600/650 headphones.

The HD535's are the absolute worst pick of the bunch by a large margin.
All sets were disassembled, inspected, cleaned where necessary and fitted with new ear and head foams.

I use a Tascam MH-8 multi-channel headphone amp which is as neutral as the cables I built.
I couldn't listen with the HD535's for any length of time as it was unpleasant, especially in comparison to the rest, including the 'lower models'.

I wonder who these headphones were marketed at and for what purpose as I cannot imagine using them for anything other than perhaps dictaphone transcribing work.

The specs posted by @MarWax above are comparable to other models in the lower end of the range but bely the actual performance characteristics of this set.

A shame, but interesting to explore and experience.

DSC_0146.JPG

Mar 20, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #14 of 18
I felt compelled to contribute to this thread after recently building 5 identical cables in order to conduct an extensive comparative listening test between my HD265/525/535/545/565/600/650 headphones.

The HD535's are the absolute worst pick of the bunch by a large margin.
All sets were disassembled, inspected, cleaned where necessary and fitted with new ear and head foams.

I use a Tascam MH-8 multi-channel headphone amp which is as neutral as the cables I built.
I couldn't listen with the HD535's for any length of time as it was unpleasant, especially in comparison to the rest, including the 'lower models'.

I wonder who these headphones were marketed at and for what purpose as I cannot imagine using them for anything other than perhaps dictaphone transcribing work.

The specs posted by @MarWax above are comparable to other models in the lower end of the range but bely the actual performance characteristics of this set.

A shame, but interesting to explore and experience.

DSC_0146.JPG

Mar 20, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #15 of 18
What would you accept for a pair of those 535's (if looking to unload)? I want to give mine to my autistic son but the adjustment mechanism on mine doesn't work anymore so the earcups just kind of dangle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back