Sennheiser HD 414 Originals?
Jan 25, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #16 of 43
I bought the anniversary edition for my (then little) brother, years ago, because I thought they were extremely difficult to damage. They still work perfectly (with new pads). But I don't like the sound of the annversary edtion much.

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #17 of 43
Picture of my set with the headband and the horrible old 2 pin din plugs removed.

P8010077-1024.jpg

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #18 of 43
Very nice....
beerchug.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #19 of 43
Interesting, Duggeh. In the US market, there never was such a thing. Goes to show that what was original in one market might be totally different in another. Assuming that's a Sennheiser headpad, heh heh.

Those were originally blue-padsters? When were they made, do you know?

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #20 of 43
Mine seem to look slightly different (cable is not original, there was a grey cable on the grey phones). The grey phones actually seem to be more grey than the ones in Duggeh's pictures (mine are grey in reality, not white)

attachment.php

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the originals were never released in black. I had a pair of HD-414 original 2000ohm with the headband pad intact and fresh earpads and in the original box with the original brochure.

Not true: the HD414x (2000 ohm) of the late seventies is black, and is an "original" HD414. I have it (although unlistenable because defective in one channel).

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Klarnet Basowy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not true: the HD414x (2000 ohm) of the late seventies is black, and is an "original" HD414. I have it (although unlistenable because defective in one channel).

Please can I correct - the originals came out in 1968 and were grey only.

The black versions came later (but still electrically the same as the originals) - if you bought black in the late '70's, the headphones had already been on the market for 10 years!

The Sennheiser signature re-release in 1995 were black.

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please can I correct - the originals came out in 1968 and were grey only.

The black versions came later (but still electrically the same as the originals) - if you bought black in the late '70's, the headphones had already been on the market for 10 years!

The Sennheiser signature re-release in 1995 were black.

Yes, but they are electrically the same of the '68 version. Or originals means only the one produced in the first year of production?
tongue.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Klarnet Basowy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but they are electrically the same of the '68 version. Or originals means only the one produced in the first year of production?
tongue.gif

The re-release are different (50 Ohm instead of 2000 Ohm).
The original grey ones and the black ones that came a few years later (except the colour and plug they are the same) are "originals" as opposed to the re-release.

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #25 of 43
My dad still has his black 414 from the 70's. I bought some new yellow earpads for him years back but compared to today's standards they sound flat and closed in.

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The re-release are different (50 Ohm instead of 2000 Ohm).
The original grey ones and the black ones that came a few years later (except the colour and plug they are the same) are "originals" as opposed to the re-release.

Yes, yes, I know, my post was a bit "ironic".

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #27 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My dad still has his black 414 from the 70's. I bought some new yellow earpads for him years back but compared to today's standards they sound flat and closed in.

Listen to them for a prolonged period, I think you will notice how "pleasant" they are. Maybe not in pair with today detail standards, but they do a great service to the music, especially acoustic. (I have at home an HD424 perfectly working, which is an HD414 with slightly different driver housing, and I like it).

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #28 of 43
The original HD 414 came out in 1968 - I think they were 2,000 Ohms - later the black version came out and there were other impedances also available - I seem to remember three different impedance versions.

If you talk "originals" you really need to think 1st edition grey version.

A 2nd edition of a book may be identical in all respects to the 1st edition - but it's the 1st edition that has the premium price.
icon10.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #29 of 43
I remember how happy we were in 1968 when the Sennheiser 414 (gray) appeared in the local Hi-Fi store (Audiolab in Cambridge, MA). These were the first "open-back" phones we had ever seen, and, even though the highs seemed a bit recessed, the lows were amazing for such a lightweight and comfortable headphone. I used these happily for years until the Koss Pro 4AAA
came out. Then it was back to the old, heavy, closed-back phones for a while. I held on to the Sennheisers for a few more years until the cable finally gave-out. These were exciting times for speakers, too. Professor Bose of MIT had recently installed a pair of his experimental speakers at Audiolab. Each speaker cabinet formed 1/8th of a sphere and contained, I believe, 15 identical drivers. They were intended to simulate the perfect speaker shape: a pulsating sphere. But they needed to be placed into the corners of a room, so they were a bit impractical. They never went into production, but boy, they sure sounded great in the store.The new Advent speakers had just come out, as well. Great time for Hi-Fi geeks.

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #30 of 43
I had a pair of the black/yellow pad 414s from the early 1980s. Pretty decent sound, though my 650s would crush them head to head.

I had them for fifteen years, treated them very badly, and all they ever asked for were new pads periodically when they disintegrated. They eventually gave out, and what money I had went into a new pair of Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back