Sennheiser HD 400 Pro released
Jan 2, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #46 of 71
Hi @carsan.

d2FjPTExNzB4MS45MTM5OTIyOTc4MTc3_src_13883-_HD_560S_04.png

Source : this review of the HD 560S made by a Polish sound engineer (compared to his old Sennheiser HD 600):

https://estradaistudio.pl/testy/sprzet-studyjny/1745-hd-560s-sluchawki-wokoluszne (HD 560S)

This review can be compared to the one of the HD 400 Pro (alas without graphs) written by the same Polish sound engineer:

https://estradaistudio.pl/testy/spr...eiser-hd-400-pro-otwarte-sluchawki-dynamiczne (HD 400 Pro)

On this Polish review of the HD 560S (compared to its old HD 600), the frequency (tonal) balance of the HD 560S between 7 and 14 KHz seems very good, in any case better than that of the HD 600 .

Concerning me, concerning my copies of these headphones (HD 560S and HD 400 Pro), I confirm that my HD 400 Pro is less brilliant in the treble than my HD 560S. It's evident for listening to cymbals and bells.

Objectively speaking, I even measured a level difference of -1.3 dB at the frequency of 5 KHz for my HD 400 Pro (vs my HD 560 S), by taking the frequency of 1 KHz, to equalize in level the headsets (for the position of the measuring microphone, centered on debaffled pads).

To the ear, the sine frequency 5 KHz is more marked than the frequency 1000 Hz, for the two headphones, but slightly less with the HD 400 Pro (my copy) than the HD 560S (my copy).

I do not have the 9 KHz frequency in my test audio CD (30 second listening ranges of sine, 1, 2, 5 and 10 KHz).

Unfortunately, at my age (56 years old), the 10 KHz frequency is heard attenuated with both headphones; I will not say if there is a real difference in level at 10 KHz between these two headphones.

However, to the measurements made with the microphone (Phonic PAA3 - Flat measurements; response time 1 second; debaffled pads, but not at all reflecting the real conditions of human listening with headphones), I noted as raw measurements differences:

HD 560S:
1 KHz: 65 dB SPL
2 KHz: 65.2 dB
5 KHz: 70.4 dB
10 KHz: 66.8 dB

HD 400 Pro:
1 KHz: 65 dB SPL
2 KHz: 64.1 dB
5 KHz: 69.1 dB
10 KHz: 68.2 dB

Measures to be taken with a grain of salt, because very critical to the centering of the microphone (in the debaffled pads): the placement was not strictly identical for the two headsets.
The measurement time of each frequency ranges was 30 seconds each: stable measurements for the SPL levels at each frequency during the 30 seconds of each measurement.
Thanks for your detailed response and for sharing so much information.
Kind regards and happy new year! :wink:

Jan 2, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #47 of 71
When EQ’ing either the HD560S or this new HD400, just remember that the drivers are angled on both headphones.
When you angle drivers it creates an effect in relation with the pina and boosts the frequencies in the uppermids/low treble. This is also why headphones with angled drivers seem to resonate so well with gamers. The scene gets slightly more three dimensional and the boost in the upper frequencies helps with clarity and overall ability to pick up stuff happening in the game ie footsteps and such.
Solderdude did a really good write-up of this over at diyaudioheaven. Here’s a frequency response that tries to show the perceived difference we hear when wearing the HD560S. It’s obviously a line made after the measurement as no dummy heads come with brains:)
1641150752803.png

Source: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd-560s/

Jan 11, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #48 of 71
Hi all.

My Sennheiser HD 400 Pro headphones measure differently than my HD 560S: my HD 400 Pro has a little more bass in level (SPL) than my HD 560S (+ 2 dB SPL between 40 Hz and 160 Hz).
Yet, the SPL level is identical at 1 KHz (identical sensitivity of these two headphones) and at 25 Hz (identical seal).
The 1 dB SPL higher average level with the HD 400 Pro versus HD 560S (all frequencies combined) (89.8 dB SPL versus 88.8 dB SPL) is explained by a higher average bass level of a few dB for the HD 400 pro versus HD 560S.

22011108453323553817745710.jpg

HD 400 Pro (measurement by frequency - pink noise).

22011108453323553817745711.jpg

HD 560S (measurement by frequency - pink noise).

22011108053623553817746426.jpg

HD 400 Pro (my sample).

22011108053623553817746425.jpg

HD 560S (my sample).

For all the details of the measurement protocol between these two headphones, you can read it in the HCFR source forum (in French), here: https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post180849054.html#p180849054

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #49 of 71
Hello to all.

New frequency response measurements of my HD 400 Pro versus my HD 560S, this time omnidirectional microphone in full axis of the driver, headphones pads not sealed (unbaffled) to allow this measurement.
The response in the treble is more precise; it is normal that with the pads unsealed, the bass level drops with both headphones.
You will notice the difference in the treble response between these two headphones.

22011909281823553817756117.jpg

HD 400 Pro (unbaffled) (full-axis driver center microphone).

22011909281823553817756115.jpg

HD 560S (unbaffled) (full-axis driver center microphone).

22011909281823553817756116.jpg

HD 400 Pro (unbaffled) (full-axis driver center microphone).

22011909281723553817756113.jpg

HD 560S (unbaffled) (full-axis driver center microphone).

Comment: we find the frequency peak in the high frequency, at 4 KHz, perhaps 1 dB higher with the HD560S than with the HD 400 Pro.
Above all, we find another frequency peak in the treble, this time at 10 KHz, with the HD 560S, but not found with the HD 400 Pro.
Otherwise, we note a level 2 dB SPL higher at 100 Hz with the HD 400 pro, versus HD 560S (unbaffled) (without any sealing of the pads).

For all the details of the measurement protocol between these two headphones, you can read it in the HCFR source forum (in French), here: https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post180855623.html#p180855623

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #50 of 71
When EQ’ing either the HD560S or this new HD400, just remember that the drivers are angled on both headphones.
When you angle drivers it creates an effect in relation with the pina and boosts the frequencies in the uppermids/low treble. This is also why headphones with angled drivers seem to resonate so well with gamers. The scene gets slightly more three dimensional and the boost in the upper frequencies helps with clarity and overall ability to pick up stuff happening in the game ie footsteps and such.
Solderdude did a really good write-up of this over at diyaudioheaven. Here’s a frequency response that tries to show the perceived difference we hear when wearing the HD560S. It’s obviously a line made after the measurement as no dummy heads come with brains:)

Hi.

Inclination of the drivers or not, these two headphones Sennheiser HD 560S and HD 400 Pro (a little more "bassy", at least for my copy, for this latter) are excellent for a home theater use (as well as Hi-Fi): I translate you my last post written on another forum.

" That said, getting back to the essence of this thread (the Sennheiser HD 400 Pro headphones, and its closest neighbor, for tone, the HD 560S), last night my older son and I listened to (and viewed) the excellent movie (blu-ray) directed by Christopher Nolan, that we had already seen together a few years ago, Inception with Leonardo DiCaprio as the main actor, with the film music composed by Hans Zimmer, with the dac (Audiomat Maestro Ref) and the tube amp (Viva 2A3) that fit so well to these two Sennheiser headphones (the HD 400 Pro for me and HD 560S for my son); I almost used the Kennerton Thror (which is not bad at all on this tube amp), but, for home theater use, the sub-bass extension of these two Sennheiser headphones worked wonders last night, for this movie.
And the spinning top wobbled at the end.... (a happy ending).

22011709335823553817754586.jpg

These two Sennheiser headphones are very valid for a home theater use, as well as Hi-Fi.
Comfortable to wear, without any problem, for the whole duration of the movie, non stop (duration 2 h 20).

Have a nice sunday.

PS: I know that René is not a fan of Hans Zimmer, and in particular of his Show / Live in Prague; but this music integrated into the film, participates a lot in the atmosphere, which I find very successful. "

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #51 of 71
Hi,

Attached is a link, to a (Russian) review of the Sennheiser HD 400 Pro headphones, very accurate (with the strengths and weaknesses of this headphones) with also some comparisons with the HD 560S.

Enjoy reading (note: google translate is your friend). :)

https://headphonesbest.ru/reviews/sennheiser-hd-400-pro-2-61930

Note:
I confirm the less microphonic character of the 1.8 m straight cable of the HD 400 pro compared to the 3 m straight cable of the HD 560S, which is more microphonic.

EDIT : And another review (also in Russian) of the same HD 400 Pro headphones, with very nice pics.

https://4pda.to/2022/01/29/396140/obzor_sennheiser_hd_400_pro_kak_slushat_muzyku_professionalno/

Note, in this review, the very good reproduction of female voices with this headphone, and the need to use a powerful amp (if possible with tubes) (800 mW on 50 ohms) to get all the quintessence; on a more modest amplification (in power) the headphone can sometimes sound hard and aggressive in the treble (what I also noticed).

Quote (after google translation): Results:
HD 400 PRO are lightweight and relatively inexpensive professional headphones that are suitable for both daily work and leisure. The sound is tonally adjusted, but not boring. The construction is reliable. The model will come in handy both at the rehearsal base, and in the home studio, and next to the tube amplifier of a serious music lover. Restrictions are minimal: loud external noise and mobile equipment with a very weak amplifier.

B6caiNqavfhTk1F7NQhNz0hBHHOe9wq0sEq9KqY.jpg

B6cab0Ixf1ltl2fuNwRFXz0Cz0VZYu1z1njKjMaCE.jpg

B6caZ84SrN8hvbrkGsbC72iDdFCpJJyGH4H8Yb.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #52 of 71
Hi, all.

My wife, with a HD 400 Pro, perfectly suited to his head (adjustment of the headphones to the tightest).

22012905374423553817772795.jpg

Speaking of Spanish guitar, the very nice Francisco Esteve (model 11) of my wife (pictured above), well, to stay with Spain, I listened again last night to the CD1 of Bizet's opera, Carmen, that I know by heart, but this time with my Sennheiser HD 400 Pro headphones.

I thought I knew everything about this opera (Georges Prêtre's version from 1964), and well I think I rediscovered it last night, with these headphones.

I already listened to it, and enjoyed it, with a Stax SR-009, an Audeze LCD3F, an Odin mk2, a Thror and a Thekk, but each time, a part of the interpretation was "missing" with these headphones, sometimes the bass (with the Stax), sometimes the treble, or the "weird" tonal balance, truncated in the upper harmonics (I don't have any other words), with the others.

There, I was able to follow the dialogues (for once in French) and the orchestration, with a very great accuracy of the timbres (vocal and instrumental), precision and balance of the registers (bass, medium, treble): not a register took the step on the other: the balance between the voices and the orchestra was "perfect"; the brass and the bells sounded bright (not off); the basses giving the amplitude were also there, and the voices, varied, expressive, even if for me, sometimes a little "old-fashioned", because it is necessary to appreciate the voice of Maria Callas (which is not my favorite).

Well, even if the voices are sometimes old-fashioned, like the 1964 recording, they have conviction, and this is easily heard, even with this "small" headphone at a few hundred Euros, which succeeds in doing better overall than all the other headphones I have owned, at least on this kind of music (but also many others, so many others ...).

Have a nice Sunday, with your favorite headphones (and music). :)

Jan 30, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #53 of 71
Hi,

Attached is a link, to a (Russian) review of the Sennheiser HD 400 Pro headphones, very accurate (with the strengths and weaknesses of this headphones) with also some comparisons with the HD 560S.

Enjoy reading (note: google translate is your friend). :)

https://headphonesbest.ru/reviews/sennheiser-hd-400-pro-2-61930

Note:
I confirm the less microphonic character of the 1.8 m straight cable of the HD 400 pro compared to the 3 m straight cable of the HD 560S, which is more microphonic.

EDIT : And another review (also in Russian) of the same HD 400 Pro headphones, with very nice pics.

https://4pda.to/2022/01/29/396140/obzor_sennheiser_hd_400_pro_kak_slushat_muzyku_professionalno/

Note, in this review, the very good reproduction of female voices with this headphone, and the need to use a powerful amp (if possible with tubes) (800 mW on 50 ohms) to get all the quintessence; on a more modest amplification (in power) the headphone can sometimes sound hard and aggressive in the treble (what I also noticed).

Quote (after google translation): Results:
HD 400 PRO are lightweight and relatively inexpensive professional headphones that are suitable for both daily work and leisure. The sound is tonally adjusted, but not boring. The construction is reliable. The model will come in handy both at the rehearsal base, and in the home studio, and next to the tube amplifier of a serious music lover. Restrictions are minimal: loud external noise and mobile equipment with a very weak amplifier.

B6caiNqavfhTk1F7NQhNz0hBHHOe9wq0sEq9KqY.jpg

B6cab0Ixf1ltl2fuNwRFXz0Cz0VZYu1z1njKjMaCE.jpg

B6caZ84SrN8hvbrkGsbC72iDdFCpJJyGH4H8Yb.jpg
Looks like those reviews were written by you :beerchug: I'm glad you are enjoying so much those headphones and don't tempting me (and other forum members) with new Kennerton offerings, like in the past :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Feb 6, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #54 of 71
Looks like those reviews were written by you :beerchug: I'm glad you are enjoying so much those headphones and don't tempting me (and other forum members) with new Kennerton offerings, like in the past :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hi @Terriero

I am still looking for a headphone with a better tone (fidelity of the tone) than the duo Senn HD 560S / HD 400 Pro ; and well, I have not found yet.

And yet the search was quite exhaustive ...

https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post180869963.html#p180869963

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #55 of 71
Feb 6, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #56 of 71
Have you tried all of them or just look at the frequency responses? There are a lot in your post...
Hi.

I have already had the opportunity to listen to a small half of these 57 headphones; I base myself above all on the frequency measurements of these headphones (on the Oratory measurement site) compared to the target curve of Harman 2018, as well as the interpretation that I make for the tonality according to the difference of measurement noted between this target curve, and the frequency response of these headphones at the various frequencies and the various registers studied (bass, medium and treble), to have a rather precise idea of the tonality of the headphones, especially compared to my current references (the HD 400 Pro and the HD 560S).
(Note: my HD 400 Pro having a little more bass level (by a few dB) than my HD 560S (at least for my copies)).

Looking at these FR curves of these 57 headphones (whose prices range from a few hundred Euros to more than 10,000 Euros) compared to the Harman 2018 target curve (and the FR curve of the HD 560S), I have a pretty good idea of how these headphones will sound (for tone), especially since I've already been able to listen to a small half of them.

Feb 6, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #57 of 71
Hi.

I have already had the opportunity to listen to a small half of these 57 headphones; I base myself above all on the frequency measurements of these headphones (on the Oratory measurement site) compared to the target curve of Harman 2018, as well as the interpretation that I make for the tonality according to the difference of measurement noted between this target curve, and the frequency response of these headphones at the various frequencies and the various registers studied (bass, medium and treble), to have a rather precise idea of the tonality of the headphones, especially compared to my current references (the HD 400 Pro and the HD 560S).
(Note: my HD 400 Pro having a little more bass level (by a few dB) than my HD 560S (at least for my copies)).

Looking at these FR curves of these 57 headphones (whose prices range from a few hundred Euros to more than 10,000 Euros) compared to the Harman 2018 target curve (and the FR curve of the HD 560S), I have a pretty good idea of how these headphones will sound (for tone), especially since I've already been able to listen to a small half of them.
How do you know you will like the Harman 2018 frequency response? (it seems that you are looking for a headphone that approach more exactly that curve) If you have never found a headphone that check that curve?

Feb 6, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #58 of 71
How do you know you will like the Harman 2018 frequency response? (it seems that you are looking for a headphone that approach more exactly that curve) If you have never found a headphone that check that curve?
Hi, again.

I'm looking for headphones that are the closest to this Harman 2018 target curve (except for the bass, which are imho overrepresented in this Harman target curve), to get the most accurate headphones, tonally speaking, respecting at best, the tonal balance between the 3 registers (bass, midrange, treble ; no register should take precedence over the other), and the respect of the timbres; the Harman target curve, which is a statistical target curve, is one of the closest to this objective (with the exception of the bass which is over-represented with this target curve); other target curves can be used, such as the Crinacle curve, which does not give the lion's share to the bass, which is less emphasized.
No headphone is perfect and fits perfectly to this target curve of Harman 2018 : neither the Sennheiser HD 560S (which has a little coquetry in the treble around 4.5 KHz), nor the Sennheiser HE-1 (Orpheus 2), nor the Orpheus 1, nor the HFM Shangri-La Sr ; but some headphones are better than others, and the Senn HD-560S (and the HD 400 Pro, very close in tone to the HD 560S) are the two headphones, which for my interpretation of these measurement curves (and the target curve to be approached) come out the best.
It is probably not a coincidence that Sennheiser based its open, reference Pro headphones (the HD 400 Pro) on the HD 560S, because it is one of the best headphones in the world for faithful tone reproduction and timbres.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #59 of 71
If they wouldn't have those protudings inside, I would try them based on your comments (and, of course, on their price... You are not talking about 3 thousand € Kennertons here :relieved:)

Feb 6, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #60 of 71
If they wouldn't have those protudings inside, I would try them based on your comments (and, of course, on their price... You are not talking about 3 thousand € Kennertons here :relieved:)

I talk about it a bit in the French forum (*), after listening to the soundtrack of the movie Avatar; well the two planar Kennerton headphones (Thekk and Thror) (at more than 3 K each) are quite disappointing (compared to the HD 400 Pro, at 0.25 K); my Thekk will stay in its window (showcase), to admire the beauty of its wood, sheltered from dust, while the HD 400 Pro will stay next to the Viva 2A3 tube amp to continue listening (with it) to my favorite musics and viewing (and listening) my favorite movies, without shortening the extreme low and high frequencies, and without distorting the timbre of voices.

(*) here : https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/casques-sedentaires/sennheiser-hd-400-pro-t30117973-435.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back