Sennheiser HD 400 Pro released
Dec 4, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #16 of 71
I don't like the sound of the Senn HD-800 Stock: not enough bass; peak too high in the treble at 6 KHz, it tires me; this is not the case with the HD-560S, which is quite tolerant even to bad recordings.

I think the Senn HD-560S will work well with the music you featured in your spoiler.

I haven't received the HD-400 Pro yet, but if the HD-560S has a little more level in lower midrange than the HD 400 Pro (maybe 1 dB more ?), it could be heard; it's up to you to see what you prefer as balanced music for the overall tone.
The things I don't like about the HD 560S are:

- Some people claims about excesive clamping pressure and I don't know if with use the clamping force will be less. Also, my ears will touch the protuding inside the cups (I think that it works for the E.A.R. technology that also presented the HD 555 I had) and I think the HD 400 Pro (for the Thomann pics I've seen) don't have those protudings inside the cups.

- In comments about the HD 560-S, and also in the russian review you posted, some people say that the cable is microphonic and I hate that. I hope is solved with the new HD 400 Pro cable.

By the way, were you joking when you said these are expensive headphones in the french forum? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (I think so, because they know your Kennerton trayectory...)

Dec 4, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #17 of 71
Hi.

I can try to answer some of your questions about the HD-560S that I just listened to this evening, with great pleasure on Hans Zimmer's Live in Prague; this Senn HD-560S headset will leave the Kennerton Thekk on standby (in its showcase).
Read also, on this subject (on the French forum): https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post180816918.html#p180816918

. Yes the clamping of the HD 560S is a bit strong for my big and broad head; but it was also the case with my ex Stax SR-009 headphones; for other people with heads of more "normal" size, well the comfort of these headphones is considered rather good.
. No, my ears (of "normal" size) do not touch the bottom of the earcups; the deepest part of the earcups being located in the back of the ears.
. No, the cable supplied with the HD-560S (3 m) is not microphonic at all, unlike the stock cables supplied with the Kennerton headphones like the Odin, Vali ....

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #18 of 71
Looks like an grey HD560S that comes with a better selection of cables.

Dec 4, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #19 of 71
Hi.

I can try to answer some of your questions about the HD-560S that I just listened to this evening, with great pleasure on Hans Zimmer's Live in Prague; this Senn HD-560S headset will leave the Kennerton Thekk on standby (in its showcase).
Read also, on this subject (on the French forum): https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post180816918.html#p180816918

. Yes the clamping of the HD 560S is a bit strong for my big and broad head; but it was also the case with my ex Stax SR-009 headphones; for other people with heads of more "normal" size, well the comfort of these headphones is considered rather good.
. No, my ears (of "normal" size) do not touch the bottom of the earcups; the deepest part of the earcups being located in the back of the ears.
. No, the cable supplied with the HD-560S (3 m) is not microphonic at all, unlike the stock cables supplied with the Kennerton headphones like the Odin, Vali ....
Thanks. I think you will leave your Thekk with the VHSs that are in the same pic :wink:

By the way, I'm reading the french forum and my preferred film of all times is "The thin red line" :relaxed:

Dec 5, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #21 of 71
Hi all.

So far this is looking like an expensive HD 560S

Yeah, similarity looks pretty strong. I wonder if it's more refined

@Sennheiser any more info?

Hello, this is targeted towards the Pro Musician audience :)

Sorry, @Sennheiser, the answer is not sufficient and ambiguous.

I repeat the question: is there any improvement, acoustic, physical, in the Sennheiser HD 400 Pro versus the Sennheiser HD 560S, apart from a difference in cables and that the Sennheiser logo is painted black on the HD 400 Pro (versus silver, for the HD 560S), yes or no ?

Obviously, from the FR curves of the Russian review of the HD 400 Pro on the previous page, the technical characteristics of the driver of the HD 400 Pro are until proven of the contrary otherwise perfectly identical to that of the HD 560S, and the comparative curves of FR of the headphones almost identical (to within 1 dB) which must correspond to a variability of construction and inter-driver matching, already excellent, it must be said.

So, did you realize an acoustic improvement of the "voicing" of the HD 400 Pro, versus HD 560S; you had 1 year to do it: yes or no?

In the absence of a clear answer from you, I would consider that this is not the case, and that therefore the two HD 400 Pro and HD 560S headphones are identical (except for the logo and the cables supplied), which is only a question of marketing; in this case, you might as well buy the cheapest one, which can be found 100 Euros cheaper on many sales sites in Europe.

Convince me otherwise.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #22 of 71
Here's the full article from Prosound translated from Russian:

Sennheiser HD 400 PRO - professional open-back headphones​

Maxim Lyadov​

Recently, Sennheiser has focused very seriously on the professional direction and has shown great success there. For example, the Sennheiser EW-D digital wireless radio system left the best impression on us and amazed us with the amount of modern innovations.

Today we are testing the latest professional Sennheiser HD 400 PRO headphones, which can force the audience in the world of sound production to redefine the attitude towards the Sennheiser brand. These are open-back headphones designed for a wide range of audio applications, from music writing to mixing and mastering.

According to the official representative of the company, the new product opens the PRO line of Sennheiser headphones and is suitable for professionals who need detailed and honest sound, with high resolution, to create sound masterpieces.

From our own experience, we can confirm that in studios, from home and personal to large commercial, there is a huge demand for lightweight, comfortable headphones with the highest quality sound, since in addition to the task of mixing the mix, there are no less important stages of creating music. This is writing parts of musical instruments, selecting timbres from hundreds of gigabytes of sound libraries, editing loops and grooves, selecting and adjusting the desired effects, playing various electronic musical instruments, rough editing of material. All of these steps can take hours, days or even weeks! Sitting and working in a studio isn't always the best option. Creative inspiration, some new ideas, can come to the musician even when he is outside the studio room with monitors.to the most technologically advanced Neumann .

Since we had one more very successful Sennheiser HD 560S headphones for our personal use, released recently for the anniversary of the company, the premiere of the HD 400 PRO was not a surprise for us. The Sennheiser HD 560S is good for everyone and the sound is great, but it's purely for everyday use. Of course, it can also be used for working with sound, but it is not so convenient. She has a very long cable with a rigid sheath with a "stethoscope effect", that is, the slightest impact on the cable resonates into the headphones. For domestic use, this is not scary, but a professional does not sit relaxed in an armchair like an audiophile, but rather often turns his head while sitting at a table with a PC or laptop, while the cord walks around and hits everything. Therefore, for professional use, the first thing we ordered was a twisted cable and another straight short cable in a fabric braid.

In the case of the HD 400 PRO, there is no need to take such actions - from the box, the user immediately receives both a twisted cable and a straight short one in a soft rubber sheath that is not afraid of shocks - it does not transmit them to the listener. Another plus for the HD 400 PRO is an adapter at the end of the cable, which increases connectivity. In professional equipment, stereo minijacks are equally common, especially in portable recorders and cameras, and full-size 6.5 mm jacks. The HD 560S audiophile headphones have a non-replaceable 6.5 mm cable end, which emphasizes their focus on serious stationary equipment. However, the standard connector for connecting removable cables with rotation locking is the same for all these models. Therefore, it will not be difficult to apply cords from one model to another. So, we really liked the native twisted cable of the HD 400 PRO. We feel it is much better than similar inexpensive third-party options and fits perfectly with the HD 560S.

It is worth explaining the markings of the Sennheiser models. For household lines, it has its own history, for professional ones. They are not directly comparable. The 5XX series has been around for a very long time and is positioned as a mid-range headphone for a mass audience. At the same time, the Sennheiser HD 560S model with the letter S at the end appeared recently and has a completely new, very promising emitter, which is beginning to compete and even outperform the 6XX line in some way. Still, the HD 560S is a mainstream model with simplified ergonomics from the 500 series. Despite the efforts of market segmentation, users greeted the HD 560S with the utmost benevolence and it quickly became a bestseller and the undisputed leader in terms of price / quality. It has been used for a variety of purposes, including professional ones. Perhaps that's why Sennheiser's engineers decided to build on the success and make a dedicated professional model. Although the looks are very similar, we feel Sennheiser has improved something in the HD 400 PRO. And it turned out that the new product is already slightly higher than the HD 560S.

The number 400 in the name of the new PRO headphones should not confuse anyone. Sennheiser's professional models have their own history and naming logic, which does not overlap with household lines in any way. Among the HD 25, HD 200 PRO, HD 300 PRO, the new HD 400 PRO is the flagship of professional models. That is, the numbers 400 in the name do not mean at all that the model is below the 5XX line of household models, and at the price it is quite clear that the HD 400 PRO is higher than all household 5XXs.

Sennheiser HD 400 PRO Specifications​

• Acoustic principle: dynamic, open
  • Ear Coverage: Full Size
  • Frequency Response: 6 - 38,000 Hz
  • Kg: <0.05% (at 1kHz, 90dB SPL)
  • Impedance: 120 Ohm
  • Sound pressure level: 110 dB (1 kHz, 1 Vrms)
  • Connector: 3.5 mm (1/8 ") with adapter to 6.3 mm (1/4")
  • Weight: 240g (without cable)
Among the official technical characteristics, attention is drawn to the harmonic distortion. It has a record low value of 0.05%, which exceeds this parameter in comparison with the Sennheiser HD 560S and Sennheiser HD 600 household models and is comparable to the HD 660S. Other characteristics indicate the use of a new generation of 120 Ohm emitter with a sensitivity of 110 dB / V.The headphones are very light, the weight without cable is 240 g. The fact that the model is open does not allow using it for monitoring when recording with a studio microphone, but in all other professional tasks, especially when listening to nuances critically, open models are often preferable.

The ear cups are quite standard, the logo is made more neutral here, without a shiny insert. There is no premium and elitism in the model, just as there is no overpayment for design elements. The HD 400 PRO is more of a workhorse for everyday use.

The headband has two pillows with foam rubber and velvet fabric fixed with glue. The design is simple and typical for all Sennheiser models.

Planting depth adjustment is standard. In addition, there is a slight rotation of the cups around the axis. All structural elements are plastic, due to which a very low weight is achieved. Will the structure become loose? Based on the similar design of the HD 560S, we have not lost anything in a year of operation.

Frequency response measurements​

The measurements are performed using the RightMark ™ Audio Analyzer PRO software and hardware complex . The measuring stand Brüel & Kjær 4153 - Artificial Ear / Ear Simulator (IEC 60318-1), Made in Denmark, cost about 5,000 euros was used.

The Brüel & Kjær stand effectively emulates the acoustic impedance of the ear up to a frequency of 16 kHz. Frequency response measurements are provided for reference only, you should not guess the sound from them.

fr.png

Frequency response of Sennheiser HD 400 PRO headphone
560.png

Frequency response of Sennheiser HD 560S headphone
The frequency response is very similar, but the mid-frequency range is more linear in the HD 400 PRO. The bass does not have any accents, and its decay is a feature of the test stand, in reality there is no decay at low frequencies. The high-frequency range, where there is a decrease and then a peak in the characteristic, is very similar to the Harman target curve for headphones.

gras.JPG

According to the available theoretical and practical data, this Harman curve corresponds to the listener's idea of the equal frequency balance of the recording, to which he is accustomed to listening to speakers in a room. Therefore, one should not be surprised that the frequency response has this form - this is the kind of characteristics that all manufacturers are now striving for in all models of headphones. The example of measuring the HD 560S at the GRAS 43AG stand proves this. The boost in bass at Harman's target curve, by the way, only appeared in recent years, according to a study that young audiences prefer equipment that bass well. All such studies are better treated with a fair amount of skepticism, since the data can change and become more precise over time. So far, it is only clear that the midrange is better perceived when it is linear and does not have any peaks and dips. As for the bass and treble, it is still clear that the headphones there should have something to play with. The shape of such a curve is still a subject of study and discussion, since hearing itself is not linear. For hearing, a straight frequency response line is not a goal, but rather a goal in smoothness of the characteristic change. With an increase or decrease in volume, the edges of the range rise or fall, and such a sound is quite reliable and timbre neutral for the ear.

Sound quality​

The sound of the Sennheiser HD 400 PRO headphones is very detailed, with a wide panorama. This sound will appeal to both professionals and audiophiles. First of all, attention is paid to the good elaboration of the middle frequencies. The entire range lies at a glance, the timbre accuracy is very high. However, this increased detail does not tire, since it is not accompanied by any unpleasant distortions or accents. That is, bass and high frequencies do not interfere, do not dominate, but are also audible.

In the high one guesses the brand features that are familiar to everyone from other Sennheiser models. If you choose the models to which the HD 400 PRO are as similar as possible, then the HD 560S will certainly be much closer than the 600 series models. If we talk about our opinion, when we switched from one model to another with a minimum pause, our preferences were on the side of the Sennheiser HD 400 PRO. In turn, the HD 560S is closer in sound to the HD 6XX, has a continuous sound, and plays out HF more calmly. The HD 560S lives up to its audiophile focus and is more affordable. The choice between different models of headphones is often ambiguous and comes down to taste. Since the ideal is unattainable, it is necessary that the chosen model meets the personal preferences of the listener as much as possible.

Although Sennheiser HD 400 PRO are quite loyal to the amplifier, they do not impose outrageous requirements on it, a high-quality sound source is able to better unleash the full potential of this model. That is, the high-quality high-level path for the HD 400 PRO is purely beneficial and the sense from the application is clearly audible.

Note the very light weight of the HD 400 PRO and high comfort during long-term use. Corduroy ear pads are an accurate hit on the target, you don't even think about replacing them. We also really liked the straight soft wire included, which comes in handy for connecting to portable audio sources. Although the already affordable price makes the minimalistic configuration understandable only for the most necessary, we would only wish the manufacturer to provide a case for storage and transportation as an option.

conclusions​

Before we started testing the Sennheiser HD 400 PRO professional headphones, we had absolutely no expectations. We could get anything and blame it on a purely professional model, but we got a real gem from the entire range of headphones from the German manufacturer. This is an absolutely serious development that clearly embodies the very latest achievements in emitters. Without a doubt, the headphones will appeal to a very large audience of both professional users and audiophiles. If you've already heard the new bestseller HD 560S, then the HD 400 PRO model can be called a pumped-up professional version, with even more detailed sound and two interchangeable cables included. Sennheiser HD 400 PRO sets a new standard in professional headphones for detail and clarity of sound,

Dec 5, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #23 of 71
Thank you for this more accurate translation (than google translate) of this very good Russian review of the Sennheiser HD-400 Pro. :)

As you could read in my previous post, I just asked @Sennheiser if there is a real physical difference (except the cables and the logo) in the drivers or the "voicing" of the HD 400 Pro versus the excellent HD 560S headphones; I am waiting for the answer of @Sennheiser, which will come or not, knowing that a non answer, will be in fact the answer to my question, which I am far from being the only one to ask.

Do you have additional (reliable) information to answer these legitimate questions?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #24 of 71
Thank you for this more accurate translation (than google translate) of this very good Russian review of the Sennheiser HD-400 Pro. :)

As you could read in my previous post, I just asked @Sennheiser if there is a real physical difference (except the cables and the logo) in the drivers or the "voicing" of the HD 400 Pro versus the excellent HD 560S headphones; I am waiting for the answer of @Sennheiser, which will come or not, knowing that a non answer, will be in fact the answer to my question, which I am far from being the only one to ask.

Do you have additional (reliable) information to answer these legitimate questions?

Thank you in advance.

No, unfortunately I do not. They're good questions. I too would like to know what changes, if any were made to the driver or dampening materials in constructing the 400 pro.

Dec 5, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #26 of 71
Sennheiser has already confirmed that this is a 560S with another cable and colorway on Twitter. It's unfortunate they needed to be pressed to give a response on this, but still better than in the past when the 558 vs 598 were "found out" through community teardowns only.
So... 100 € more in the wallet, thank you.

I saw your review of the Meze Empyrean and you are almost identical to a friend of mine (but I can't imagine him reviewing headphones :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ).

Dec 5, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #27 of 71
Hi.

Yesterday at night, in one youtube video about the new HD 400 Pros, I saw that they have the same protudings inside both cups (like the HD 560-S and the HD 555 I had) that were very annoying for me because my ears touched them. I've never realized about that because the only headphones I had -before the "head-fi masacre" :relieved: - were the HD 555 and HD 800 (also a Superlux HD 668-B that I found very uncomfortable and gave to my wife). But after trying the Sony Z7s and put again the Senn HD 555 I noticed a lot those "protudings" touching my ears (and after the Z7s pillows I couldn´t stand them anymore...). Also, my HD 555 pads were damaged and I replaced with aftermarket pads that clamped more than the originals (not available anymore).

So, I don't know if those protudings of these new cans are exactly the same like the ones in my HD 555s or maybe they are somewhat smaller...

So, Eric, you know what to do: return the HD 400 Pros, buy a HD 560S (because I have read that you need two similar cans in the french forum) and put a classified listing for your Thekk :wink:

Dec 5, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #28 of 71
So... 100 € more in the wallet, thank you.

I saw your review of the Meze Empyrean and you are almost identical to a friend of mine (but I can't imagine him reviewing headphones :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ).

Yes, with the HD-560S, you will save around 100 Euros !

Yesterday at night, in one youtube video about the new HD 400 Pros, I saw that they have the same protudings inside both cups (like the HD 560-S and the HD 555 I had) that were very annoying for me because my ears touched them. I've never realized about that because the only headphones I had -before the "head-fi masacre" :relieved: - were the HD 555 and HD 800 (also a Superlux HD 668-B that I found very uncomfortable and gave to my wife). But after trying the Sony Z7s and put again the Senn HD 555 I noticed a lot those "protudings" touching my ears (and after the Z7s pillows I couldn´t stand them anymore...). Also, my HD 555 pads were damaged and I replaced with aftermarket pads that clamped more than the originals (not available anymore).

So, I don't know if those protudings of these new cans are exactly the same like the ones in my HD 555s or maybe they are somewhat smaller...

So, Eric, you know what to do: return the HD 400 Pros, buy a HD 560S (because I have read that you need two similar cans in the french forum) and put a classified listing for your Thekk :wink:

Otherwise, if that can help you, the oval velor pads of the HD 560S are asymmetrical, just like those (round with leather) of the Kennerton planar headphones: they are deeper behind (where the ear protrudes the most) than in front : to be precise (I just measured it): the HD 560S pads are 28 mm thick (back) and 15 mm thick (front); and they are 70 mm high for 45 mm wide for the internal orifice (oval).

For comparison, the circular pads of the Kennerton Thekk (or the Thror), very comfortable, have an internal diameter of 60 mm, and a depth in front of 15 mm and back of 30 mm.

Concerning the small posterior notch of the HD 560S driver, it is very small, very posterior (partially covered by the pads: it must protrude from the posterior edge of the pads by about 5 mm inside) and is about 5 mm thick (protruding), where the pads are thickest (28 mm).

Otherwise, the Thekk is a work of art, I will keep it as such (in its showcase), for its originality (and the strange beauty) of its wood (Karelian Birch stabilize, bi-color).

Finally, the HD 400 Pro that I ordered (at a high price) as a second headphone, for home cinema use, to watch movies as a couple or with one of my son (or listen to live concerts); my headphone amplifier having two headphone outputs (6.35 mm jack); well, I will keep it as such; its second cable (1.8 m) will also be more practical, with its 3.5 mm jack, to listen to it on my PC YouTubes videos; or even for the game ...

Have a good evening.

Dec 6, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #29 of 71
It will probably sound like how the HD558 was with its all-round neutrality, yet lackluster imaging and tonality.

Not really, I would say with 100% certainty, like the excellent HD 560S, released a year earlier, the best Sennheiser headphones in the HD 5xx range, by far!

https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/rumors-and-new-releases-thread/11160/1966

I own this headphones (HD 560S), and I can assure you that they are neither dull, nor boring, nor with poor or confined imaging.
This headphones exude health, and combined with a very good tube amp and a good source, it is simply my best headphones, all prices combined !
Read also, on this subject (on the French forum): https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post180816961.html#p180816961

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back